Sponsored by:

PCA Points Championship rules proposals

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Niels e46 m3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
As was previously stated most regions struggle to break even for their races. There is no money in the budget for something like this.

Its a great idea but it would be the club racers who would have to pay for the transportation. As much as I want to race at Laguna Seca I use up all my budget getting to Sebring and Daytona. I'm pretty sure most drivers are in a similar situation and spend a good chunk of their budget on a couple of fly-away races.

Better to spend the money on additional stewards and scrutes.
so imagine you will spend the majority of your season racing within your conference / region. You will then save some funds and should be able to budget to travel to a centrally (?) or rotating location for the national championship runoff.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:15 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Niels e46 m3
so imagine you will spend the majority of your season racing within your conference / region. You will then save some funds and should be able to budget to travel to a centrally (?) or rotating location for the national championship runoff.

HAHAHAHA! You said BUDGET!

Like I said, I'm in favor of the idea but I would love to see some additional scrutes and stewards before I saw anything like this.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:52 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I think Niels' point was that you could stick to local/regional races (with minimal transportation costs) for the season and replace faraway Sebring/Daytona races with wherever the national run-offs would be held -- for pretty much the same budget. So everyone saves on transportation costs by racing and accumulating points locally, then the best from all regions gather to duke it out for the championship in a single event.

I don't see how profitability/viability of regions' races enters this equation.

Would be nice if "national" championships really meant national.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:17 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
I think Niels' point was that you could stick to local/regional races (with minimal transportation costs) for the season and replace faraway Sebring/Daytona races with wherever the national run-offs would be held -- for pretty much the same budget. So everyone saves on transportation costs by racing and accumulating points locally, then the best from all regions gather to duke it out for the championship in a single event.

Again, its a nice idea, and I like it, but it would "disqualify" a great portion of the paddock who do not travel outside of their region.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:29 PM
Niels e46 m3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

^^^^^ THIS!

Old 10-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

Yes it would. As it stands today there are areas of the country that have huge numbers of a particular class car while others areas do not. If you live in an area where there are 10 vs 30 cars in your class at the races you can get to without quitting your job and your marriage you are just out of luck for the "national" championship.

I like the idea of a regional championship. Unfortunately that would require some work on the part of already taxed volunteers. To make it attendable the regional race would have to be the result of some travel analysis on the part of the attendees. For example I could see a NE/MA championship at NJMP easily. SE at RA maybe? I see the same racers from WG to Sebring so we are fairly mobile on the East Coast. The middle of the country would be a bit more difficult I think. West Coast or Texas seems to be more like the East Coast logistically.

And then that would require PCA to secure another date at tracks all over the country that probably would be no small task. The first years would be tough to manage.

I really like the idea though.

Last edited by Streak; 10-29-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:32 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

PCA could defray some of the organizing costs and costs to racers by inviting Porsche, tire makers, aftermarket parts makers (brakes, suspension, exhausts, race shops, etc.), to support the run-offs with their sponsorship, either through podium awards (e.g. unlimited free sticker tires for next season) or outright financial support as part of their marketing plans.

Could be made into a big Porsche festival that attracts Porsche fans and vendors from all over the country. Isn't there already an annual Porsche Parade, or smth? Could be combined with it. Just brainstorming...
Old 10-29-2016, 12:32 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Wear coast does have a regional championship series
Old 10-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Wrong
Attached Images   
Old 10-30-2016, 12:30 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eaaaasssy big fellas.

First let's see if we can get a bonus point for everyone that takes the green flag before trying to set up Regional Championships and a National Run Off.

To my recollection, the only change that has EVER been made to the Points Championship rules is the requirement to do 3 race weekends to be eligible.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:03 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
PCA could defray some of the organizing costs and costs to racers by inviting Porsche, tire makers, aftermarket parts makers (brakes, suspension, exhausts, race shops, etc.), to support the run-offs with their sponsorship, either through podium awards (e.g. unlimited free sticker tires for next season) or outright financial support as part of their marketing plans.

Could be made into a big Porsche festival that attracts Porsche fans and vendors from all over the country. Isn't there already an annual Porsche Parade, or smth? Could be combined with it. Just brainstorming...
These are great ideas but keep in mind that the financial risk for the PCA Club Racing events is borne by the region that's organizing it. All you need is to find a region willing to take the financial risk while having the ability to raise enough volunteers to run the event
and have that proposed to PCA National.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:17 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Sebring/glen/road america are the 3 biggest turnover events

Id like pca to make more efforts regarding race winner/championship

When i look at other amateurs series, they all get champagne and big Throphee loll

We received a sticker and **** looking throphee when your the national championship

Jesus, we spent 100k per year racing
Old 10-30-2016, 03:31 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paseb
Sebring/glen/road america are the 3 biggest turnover events

Id like pca to make more efforts regarding race winner/championship

When i look at other amateurs series, they all get champagne and big Throphee loll

We received a sticker and **** looking throphee when your the national championship

Jesus, we spent 100k per year racing
I have to agree with this. For the amount of money we spend it would be nice to get something more out of it.

I'm always surprised Porsche is not more involved. I've never seen a factory rep at an event or any real connection to Porsche NA. Its always a local Porsche dealer who provides some manner of support.

....and if my wife asks I DID NOT spend $100k on racing. A set of tires lasts the whole season just like on my daily driver.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Paseb
Race Car

For us it is
1.30 exchange rate

Just in registration entries its 10k each lol
Old 10-30-2016, 04:20 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paseb
For us it is
1.30 exchange rate

Just in registration entries its 10k each lol
Well, you guys just have to start printing more of that funny colored Monopoly money you use! Better yet, we should work out a US dollars to CAN maple syrup exchange rate. 2 gal. CAN maple syrup = 1 Hoosier or something like that.

Quick Reply: PCA Points Championship rules proposals