Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 05:27 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow996
http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlist...a72f262bdc.jpg

Great idea, Scott! I had a similar problem when they wanted to unplug my Race-Keeper in my GTB1 car.
Looking forward to racing with you next year David!
Old 10-25-2016, 05:29 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Same here, buddy!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:12 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Scott - Thats splitter is kind of neat. Where did you get it?
questions:
  • If they pull the OBDII connection which disables the dash and potentially your ECU triggered video, what do they expect you to do? Seems to me they should have this available if the driver is otherwise using the OBDII port.
  • If you use a OBDII splitter is there any risk of voltage drop that might effect something perhaps unwelcome?

Originally Posted by sbelles
I got black boxed last year and this year they spent about five min trying to get the cord to reach and then gave up after I protested that I loose my dash if they unplug it to plug in the black box. I purchased one of these and I'll donate it to the scruits next year.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:28 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
questions:
  • If they pull the OBDII connection which disables the dash and potentially your ECU triggered video, what do they expect you to do? Seems to me they should have this available if the driver is otherwise using the OBDII port.
  • If you use a OBDII splitter is there any risk of voltage drop that might effect something perhaps unwelcome?
I got it here.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/index.p...bd+ii+splitter

I don't know if it will cause any problems. It's possible that the it will due to greater impedance but I only run my AIM dash off the OBD II so I'm not really worried about it. The biggest problem for me is that I loose my tach and shift lights when it's unplugged. Not really a problem if I'm by myself but if I'm in traffic I end up banging off the rev limiter. Not good for speed. I know that there are other people using their ports, I'm not sure why the scruits don't already have one of thesee.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

I got black boxed last year and this year they spent about five min trying to get the cord to reach and then gave up after I protested that I loose my dash if they unplug it to plug in the black box. I purchased one of these and I'll donate it to the scruits next year.

Originally Posted by dan212
questions: [LIST][*]If they pull the OBDII connection which disables the dash and potentially your ECU triggered video, what do they expect you to do? Seems to me they should have this available if the driver is otherwise using the OBDII port.
I got it here.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/index.p...bd+ii+splitter

I know that there are other people using their ports, I'm not sure why the scruits don't already have one of these.
Scott/Dan,

This splitter is a great idea for people using their OBD ports for their data and I would encourage people that use the port otherwise to get it.

Per the Club Racing Rules, the OBD port must be available for data acquisition (see below) and it is the driver's responsibility to make it available in the manner described. This splitter seems to be a good solution.

For people where cars predate these OBD configurations, we need the trailer wire adapter to power the black box data system and to provide a tach signal to it.
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I only run my AIM dash off the OBD II so I'm not really worried about it. The biggest problem for me is that I loose my tach and shift lights when it's unplugged. Not really a problem if I'm by myself but if I'm in traffic I end up banging off the rev limiter. Not good for speed. I know that there are other people using their ports, I'm not sure why the scruits don't already have one of thesee.
Scott - why do you run off of the OBD port? I'm not sure how, but my MXL2 is wired in directly, leaving the OBD open. I have tach, water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure available on my display..
Old 10-26-2016, 01:10 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Scott - why do you run off of the OBD port? I'm not sure how, but my MXL2 is wired in directly, leaving the OBD open. I have tach, water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure available on my display..
That's the way I got it. The dash is an old AIM MyChron. At one time it was wired to the hilt with sensors but many have been lost through engine swaps. I never used most of it anyway because it's not GPS enabled and using a beacon is too much of a PITA. I know I could rewire it for tach signal but I'd rather update to something else one of these days so until then the splitter will do the job.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:29 PM
Niels e46 m3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

completely agree Clarke. My only addition would be to have some sort of regional championship , like conferences, then have the "runoffs" where the top from each region participate at the end of the year for the national champ title.

This brings a more national picture , and helps those people who may race in lower volume regions have the chance to fight out with the other top guys without having to travel 2000+ miles for every race during the season.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:43 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Niels e46 m3
completely agree Clarke. My only addition would be to have some sort of regional championship , like conferences, then have the "runoffs" where the top from each region participate at the end of the year for the national champ title.

This brings a more national picture , and helps those people who may race in lower volume regions have the chance to fight out with the other top guys without having to travel 2000+ miles for every race during the season.
+1
Old 10-27-2016, 07:29 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

I would love to see that but I don't think it will ever happen. All races are put on by individual regions and most struggle to break even. An invitation only runoff at the end of the season would really struggle unless it was subsidized by by PCA CR and I just don't see that happening. They don't even really care about tracking points, that's why we have Rennpoints run by a volunteer.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:20 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I would love to see that but I don't think it will ever happen. All races are put on by individual regions and most struggle to break even. An invitation only runoff at the end of the season would really struggle unless it was subsidized by by PCA CR and I just don't see that happening. They don't even really care about tracking points, that's why we have Rennpoints run by a volunteer.
Plus transportation costs for the cars would make it unfeasible.

Nice idea but logisticly it just wouldn't work.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Niels e46 m3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
You got lucky then.....I've been weighed almost every race last few years, had the black box twice this year, pics taken of my intake, spindle height checked, and pretty sure I'm forgetting a few times........
Pretty sure there has not been a single year I haven't been checked at multiple events for several things from transmission weight chip, timing etc

It's Luck of the draw and the scruits do a damn good job if you ask me, they have alot of classes to look after and I'm sure focus on what they can when they can
Completely agree. I have been checked to some extent every race weekend, and fully support this!

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I think my system would reward fast finishers as opposed to participation awards.

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Plus transportation costs for the cars would make it unfeasible.

Nice idea but logisticly it just wouldn't work.
I don't expect PCA to pay for the transport, but the event itself would be qualification only. Ie. top 4 from each regional area are invited per class. This could bring some more competitive nature to the series, which I believe would help drive more sponsorships, contingencies, etc. Sounds like a perfect setup. Porsche can further market the amateur motorsports aspect of their brand.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:58 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Completely agree. I have been checked to some extent every race weekend, and fully support this!I don't expect PCA to pay for the transport, but the event itself would be qualification only. Ie. top 4 from each regional area are invited per class. This could bring some more competitive nature to the series, which I believe would help drive more sponsorships, contingencies, etc. Sounds like a perfect setup. Porsche can further market the amateur motorsports aspect of their brand.
Someone wants to transport my car to Sebring I'll race the east coast guys!
Old 10-28-2016, 05:06 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

If SCCA racers can transport to national run-offs, then maybe PCA racers could, as well?
Old 10-28-2016, 09:34 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
If SCCA racers can transport to national run-offs, then maybe PCA racers could, as well?
As was previously stated most regions struggle to break even for their races. There is no money in the budget for something like this.

Its a great idea but it would be the club racers who would have to pay for the transportation. As much as I want to race at Laguna Seca I use up all my budget getting to Sebring and Daytona. I'm pretty sure most drivers are in a similar situation and spend a good chunk of their budget on a couple of fly-away races.

Better to spend the money on additional stewards and scrutes.

Quick Reply: PCA Points Championship rules proposals