Sponsored by:

PCA Points Championship rules proposals

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 07:14 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
Who wants to spend 5-10k to a race where there is 50 cars registered?
Not me.... But some do.
I prefer the big races with lot of drivers for additionnal challenge.

Makes no sense to me to get 30 points in p1 when youre alone. I will attend all small races and win nat championship
I haven't raced PCA so not familiar with the attendance differential. The argument that finishing mid-pack in large fields should not bring more points than winning smaller races is also valid. Your system encourages MORE attendance to already over-booked races and LESS attendance to already weakly attended races.

Perhaps, a combination of both systems could be worked out where BOTH the distance (in # of cars) from P1 and the distance from P-LAST enter the equation. EDIT: Maybe a simple average of the two.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:42 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Bonus points limited to 5 makes more sense. Makes the smaller races more attractive and the big races don't skew the results.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So we experienced a PCA Rule change at Daytona that is now standard moving forward at all Race events. In the past your times in the Sprint Qualifier was used to grid you for Sprint 1 and then your time from Sprint 1 was used to grid for Sprint 2. Now your BEST TIME from the Qualifier OR Sprint 1 will grid you for Sprint 2. This was sort of slipped in at the drivers meeting. I kept asking to make sure it wasnt another oops really didnt mean it. So with a GOOD qualifying lap now if you are comfortable you could skip Race 1 and go straight to Race 2. Many people just start Race 1 get a good lap and come in. As we all know every time we go out in a race, anything can happen so seeing as it is now sort of optional you can choose to improve you qualifying time or save fuel, tires, brakes, et al and just move on to Sprint 2. The rational given was that as a non-points race if you have an issue they do not want to penalize you for the points race.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:47 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Looks like it's almost unanimous that no-points races are a bad/stupid idea. How did this become the rule in the first place?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:23 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Bonus points limited to 5 makes more sense. Makes the smaller races more attractive and the big races don't skew the results.
Very few classes have this problem - maybe three or four - so changing it to 5 bonus points won't affect the smaller classes and even out the larger classes.

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
So we experienced a PCA Rule change at Daytona that is now standard moving forward at all Race events. In the past your times in the Sprint Qualifier was used to grid you for Sprint 1 and then your time from Sprint 1 was used to grid for Sprint 2. Now your BEST TIME from the Qualifier OR Sprint 1 will grid you for Sprint 2. This was sort of slipped in at the drivers meeting. I kept asking to make sure it wasnt another oops really didnt mean it. So with a GOOD qualifying lap now if you are comfortable you could skip Race 1 and go straight to Race 2. Many people just start Race 1 get a good lap and come in. As we all know every time we go out in a race, anything can happen so seeing as it is now sort of optional you can choose to improve you qualifying time or save fuel, tires, brakes, et al and just move on to Sprint 2. The rational given was that as a non-points race if you have an issue they do not want to penalize you for the points race.
This rule was also in place at Summit Point. I think it is ridiculous because at Daytona there were some people who did 4 -5 fast laps and pulled in. That isn't a race!

Originally Posted by GT3DE
1) ALL races count for points no matter how many races are run on a given weekend. 2, 3 or 4, whatever. ***Fun race doesn't count.

2) Best of ANY 10 races for the Championship.

3) 1 (one) point for every car you beat that started the race (not limited to 10 points, nor limited to finishers).

4) Anyone caught cheating is presumed to have been cheating for the whole year and all races are DQ'ed.

5) 1 (one) point for new track record (must be during race).
I would agree with all this - but would add that if you get a lap record your car automatically gets checked out by the scrutes.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:38 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I would agree with all this - but would add that if you get a lap record your car automatically gets checked out by the scrutes.
Seems legit and fair. Unfortunately will be difficult for the scrutes.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:41 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

1) ALL races count for points no matter how many races are run on a given weekend. 2, 3 or 4, whatever. ***Fun race doesn't count.

2) Best of ANY 10 races for the Championship.

3) 1 (one) point for every car you beat that started the race (not limited to 10 points, nor limited to finishers).

4) Anyone caught cheating is presumed to have been cheating for the whole year and all races are DQ'ed.

5) 1 (one) point for new track record (must be during race).

EDIT 10.25.2016 8:34am:
Sorry, I assumed to keep this part - Racers who finish 1st in class will earn 10 points, 2nd 7 points, 3rd 5 points, 4th 4 points, 5th 3 points, 6th 2 points and 7th 1 point.
I think my system would reward fast finishers as opposed to participation awards.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Very few classes have this problem - maybe three or four - so changing it to 5 bonus points won't affect the smaller classes and even out the larger classes.
Disagree. Doesn't really matter how many classes it may effect. If you look at the results you'll see that some regions with high car counts just leave no chance for any other drivers to take a legitimate shot at winning.

For example look at 2014. Drivers whose average finishing positions in my class that were several steps off the podium actually finished ahead of others in points who regularly podium. There's just something wrong when a guy who averages 6th beats drivers who average 3rd. That's how the current system weights larger fields and larger regions. A 5 point system reduces the skew.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:19 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Seems legit and fair. Unfortunately will be difficult for the scrutes.
I agree that it would be a burden but it seems like the scrutes are only checking out the GT classes and completely ignoring the letter classes. My car hasn't been weighed, never mind looked at under the hood, since mid-year 2015 and I came in second nationally in my class last year and this year.

People have to know that it will happen in order to dissuade cheating.

Originally Posted by Streak
Disagree. Doesn't really matter how many classes it may effect. If you look at the results you'll see that some regions with high car counts just leave no chance for any other drivers to take a legitimate shot at winning.

For example look at 2014. Drivers whose average finishing positions in my class that were several steps off the podium actually finished ahead of others in points who regularly podium. There's just something wrong when a guy who averages 6th beats drivers who average 3rd. That's how the current system weights larger fields and larger regions. A 5 point system reduces the skew.
I'm agreeing with you.

What I am trying to say is that it would create a level playing field regardless of the overall size of the class or number of drivers at a race weekend.

Limiting it to five bonus points makes sense.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree that it would be a burden but it seems like the scrutes are only checking out the GT classes and completely ignoring the letter classes. My car hasn't been weighed, never mind looked at under the hood, since mid-year 2015 and I came in second nationally in my class last year and this year.

People have to know that it will happen in order to dissuade cheating.
You got lucky then.....I've been weighed almost every race last few years, had the black box twice this year, pics taken of my intake, spindle height checked, and pretty sure I'm forgetting a few times........
Pretty sure there has not been a single year I haven't been checked at multiple events for several things from transmission weight chip, timing etc

It's Luck of the draw and the scruits do a damn good job if you ask me, they have alot of classes to look after and I'm sure focus on what they can when they can
Old 10-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

People have to know that it will happen in order to dissuade cheating.I'm agreeing with you.

What I am trying to say is that it would create a level playing field regardless of the overall size of the class or number of drivers at a race weekend.

Limiting it to five bonus points makes sense.

Last edited by Streak; 10-25-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
You got lucky then.....I've been weighed almost every race last few years, had the black box twice this year, pics taken of my intake, spindle height checked, and pretty sure I'm forgetting a few times........
Pretty sure there has not been a single year I haven't been checked at multiple events for several things from transmission weight chip, timing etc

It's Luck of the draw and the scruits do a damn good job if you ask me, they have alot of classes to look after and I'm sure focus on what they can when they can
What's a transmission weight chip and where can I get one for my SPB?

Old 10-25-2016, 12:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der ABT

Wow - that's a lot of checking!

My comment is not a dig at the scrutes as I have a lot of respect for what they do. Rather, there needs to be more of a fear of getting checked out otherwise people will be inclined to cheat. I believe I have been weighed twice over the course of 12 race weekends.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
What's a transmission weight chip and where can I get one for my SPB?

It's right next to the Finnegan's pin.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:43 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 165 Posts

They always seem to cover most of the SPBs. I was weighed at almost every race this year (100 #s over at the last one) and had my diff checked once. I got black boxed last year and this year they spent about five min trying to get the cord to reach and then gave up after I protested that I loose my dash if they unplug it to plug in the black box. I purchased one of these and I'll donate it to the scruits next year.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlist...a72f262bdc.jpg

Great idea, Scott! I had a similar problem when they wanted to unplug my Race-Keeper in my GTB1 car.

Quick Reply: PCA Points Championship rules proposals