Sponsored by:

PWC Finals at Laguna

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Default PWC Finals at Laguna

Had a chance to spend the long weekend at Laguna watching the PWC season finals. I was really surprised how accessible all the teams and drivers were throughout the weekend. Got a chance to chat with Pat Long, Lawson Aschenbach, O'Connell and a number of other drivers and manufacturer representatives.

Another cool feature were the VIP hot laps where I had Alec Udell drive me around the track in the new 991 GT RS. He was only going at 70% but was still fun.

It was really surprising how close some of the races were and how many incidents happen throughout the sessions. These guys definitely make excellent use of the track and do some things that I don't dare .

Here are some pics:

Roush Boss 302 went off on turn 6 and broke the front suspension during practice. They replaced the entire setup in less than 3 hours before the race. Stacy finished second.

Caught Lawson and Pat for a quick photo.

Another pic with Alec Udell at the GMG tent.

One of many incidents, but this was one of the few Caymans in the Touring Car class, which was dominated by Miatas. He made a mistake when passing through the Corkscrew.

One more random "parked 959" pic:

All in all, a very fun weekend! Hope it's OK to share some of the pics.

Last edited by adi_d; 10-14-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:43 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

But was there enough "Lubrication"?
Old 10-16-2016, 02:49 AM
adi_d
Racer

You know, I was just about to e-mail you. It was definitely a "dry" day.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:10 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by adi_d
You know, I was just about to e-mail you. It was definitely a "dry" day.
Maybe because you weren't there with Chris. Lubrication gravitates towards him. At least, that's what he keeps telling everyone.

Hope all is well. Seasons over but Hit me up for a beer afterwork someday.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Maybe because you weren't there with Chris. Lubrication gravitates towards him. At least, that's what he keeps telling everyone.
I wish
Old 10-17-2016, 11:22 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Hi Adi,

I like the picture with Pat Long and Alec Udel and am still jealous about the ride you had with Udell.
However the real feat would have been to get the same kind of picture AFTER the race with Pat Long and Johnny O'Donnell ;-)

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...t-at-mrls.html
Old 10-17-2016, 06:32 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Hi Adi,

I like the picture with Pat Long and Alec Udel and am still jealous about the ride you had with Udell.
However the real feat would have been to get the same kind of picture AFTER the race with Pat Long and Johnny O'Donnell ;-)

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...t-at-mrls.html

Here is Johnny celebrating...Pat Long was nowhere to be found
Old 10-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Both Alec Udel and Nate Stacy are great young drivers. I look for both of them to be moving up the ladder.

If you have not watched the first GTS race from Sonoma you should. It is a text book drive from Nate where he had the slower car but protected his line for almost 50 minutes and not once blocked. There have been a number of threads about blocking. Watch this race and you can see how Nate used what he had and made no unwarranted moves.

Very proud of this young man and former student.

Tim
Old 10-17-2016, 07:54 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Webb
Both Alec Udel and Nate Stacy are great young drivers. I look for both of them to be moving up the ladder.

If you have not watched the first GTS race from Sonoma you should. It is a text book drive from Nate where he had the slower car but protected his line for almost 50 minutes and not once blocked. There have been a number of threads about blocking. Watch this race and you can see how Nate used what he had and made no unwarranted moves.

Very proud of this young man and former student.

Tim
+1 on both Nate and Alec. Both great young men and up and coming drivers. You did a good job with Nate. So did his parents.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:13 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by mglobe
+1 on both Nate and Alec. Both great young men and up and coming drivers. You did a good job with Nate. So did his parents.

Man +1 - totally agree. Alec is obviously exceptional and his performance in the GT Cup class speak for themselves. I have to say that Nate had some epic drives this season. It is always super fun watching him drive, especially some of the battles he had with the Aschenbach Camaro. To be that young and talented, what a deal!

Quick Reply: PWC Finals at Laguna