Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Foot Brake only on LRP Downhill? Bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 05:01 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

I don't left foot brake for the reasons stated in Frank's posts. Too much going on when you have the clutch and all to be doing that. I'm also too old to relearn it even if I went to PDK some day. (Blah!)

When I hit the downhill I am on throttle and when I am reaching the bottom I just "turn on my brake lights for a tenth of a second" and then get about my business. Eyes up, feed in throttle, and back to full throttle slightly before the apex. Lots of compression when you hit bottom and then there is the dip at the apex which gives even more compression.

Below is video from the club race this year. Around the 23:00 mark begins some good examples of what I do on the downhill. At 24:40 is what I like to accomplish.

Funny thing is on my personal best of 57.9, which starts around the 25:00 mark, I boggle the downhill and don't get full on the throttle. Could have been the lap record right there!

Accordingly, in my view, no need to left foot. But in such august company as some other posters on this thread the above just represents my meager view!

Old 10-13-2016, 05:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Looks good to me (the Downhill, anyway... )!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-13-2016, 05:18 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No, that is not THE reason, but it may be one of the ingredients!
It's gonna be a long winter for me 'cuz I'm already looking forward to getting Jonathan and Simon to drive my SP2 a few laps and then meet up with you and see what we can figure out to help me improve and I'm even more excited to get your input on other tracks especially Watkins Glenn!

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Below is video from the club race this year. Around the 23:00 mark begins some good examples of what I do on the downhill. At 24:40 is what I like to accomplish.

Funny thing is on my personal best of 57.9, which starts around the 25:00 mark, I boggle the downhill and don't get full on the throttle. Could have been the lap record right there!

Accordingly, in my view, no need to left foot. But in such august company as some other posters on this thread the above just represents my meager view!
Awesome video!

And, for the record I wouldn't use the word meager with any of your "views". Thanks for the input!
Old 10-14-2016, 08:40 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

It was my first time racing at LRP this year. I tried it all three ways in the downhill and decided that a LF brush was the fastest because I could get back to WOT faster and still keep the car planted all the way to track out. I wasn't loosing time there, even to Matt. My problems were the left hander and the uphill. Next year. That said, if you don't normally use your left foot, I wouldn't try it there until you are sure you can modulate as well as you can with your right foot. I almost always LFB on the street so It feels very natural to me.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:18 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey JP- I was in the same Skippy class in the other group. It was great to really get some rain time in (I'm not being sarcastic, the rain learning was the biggest learning for me).

Maybe you've already cemented some of this in your mind but:

In PDK car- no question, you should use left foot everywhere if you;re able. I don't think anyone would argue this... though I'm sure someone will want to present the counter-opinion.

In a manual-
-if you're not changing a gear, yeah left foot brake. few would argue this.
-if you're dropping a gear, here's where i think you may see some debate. You're dabbing some left foot to settle the car which usually comes a bit before you turn in. You've got to switch back to your right foot so you can clutch with your left to go down a gear and you want to get all of that out of the way before you're in the corner. So it really depends on how long the preceding straight is, how many gears you downshift, how aggressively you're turning in, etc.

Maybe consider holding all other things equal and trying it both ways a few times.

I have also noticed in my 911 that the left foot brake does just completely kill the power. At first i thought I was just being ham fisted (ham-footed) but now I realize it's the ECU cutting the power.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
It's gonna be a long winter for me 'cuz I'm already looking forward to getting Jonathan and Simon to drive my SP2 a few laps and then meet up with you and see what we can figure out to help me improve and I'm even more excited to get your input on other tracks especially Watkins Glenn!
I think Vito normally used the car in front's bumper to slow him down... ask Van!
Old 10-14-2016, 02:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Wouldn't brake override throttle ? That would seem safer.
The bottomline, it's not the ability to have throttle and power as soon as you want, (most cars have near instant throttle response. LFB is realy more about effectively changing rear brake bias in those turns that require it. LFB neutralizes the rear brakes and only uses more of the front. many turns are assisted with some of the rear decel forces , even slightly, coming from the rear. a lift gives quite a bit of rear brake engine forces. each turn and the balance of the car will determine what will work best for you . yes, you are over thinking it. just drive the last turn and dont worry about LFB for now.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I hope you are going to try using 3rd gear going up the hill and to the next two turns before downhill. leaving a solid 50hp on the table in those areas as i mentioned in a prior thread . (no need to be running 5-6k when you can be running 6-7k rpm) Huge gains possible there. i think they will trump ( ) any possible gains of LFB or RFB.

just do it for one lap.. i think you might be surprised to the results. those GT4 cars wont be out accelerating you !

I don't left foot brake for the reasons stated in Frank's posts. Too much going on when you have the clutch and all to be doing that. I'm also too old to relearn it even if I went to PDK some day. (Blah!)

When I hit the downhill I am on throttle and when I am reaching the bottom I just "turn on my brake lights for a tenth of a second" and then get about my business. Eyes up, feed in throttle, and back to full throttle slightly before the apex. Lots of compression when you hit bottom and then there is the dip at the apex which gives even more compression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN1dP2O27cY
Old 10-14-2016, 05:14 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I think Vito normally used the car in front's bumper to slow him down... ask Van!
Yeah, I've watched Van's videos a dozen times and seen for myself plus the car has some track rash to show for it - gives it character. I asked SST to get a logo and call the car The Ugly Duckling. Hopefully that plus the big X on my tail will make everyone give me some extra room on my first couple races

First actual ride is scheduled for Nov. 4th with Simon Kirkby riding along. Will be my first experience on slicks. Can't wait!!

Got some minor bad news today though. Seems the car is too loud for LRP as is so will need to add a bigger muffler and lose a touch of power if I want to drive it in practice sessions with the LRDC.

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Hey JP- I was in the same Skippy class in the other group. It was great to really get some rain time in (I'm not being sarcastic, the rain learning was the biggest learning for me).
Definitely a learning experience!!
Old 10-14-2016, 05:28 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I recommend people become VERY practiced with this IN YOUR STREET CAR and ON PUBLIC ROADS before integrating this technique into their track driving.
This reminds me of one of the times I was practicing LFB on track.

Around the hairpin at our little H2R track, a little LFB would be great to settle the front while still putting on the power and getting the car to rotate.

However, I had forgotten where my left foot was when I came around the front straight and went to upshift. I'm just glad nobody was on my tail at that moment....

Despite my repeated attempts over the years... on track or not...
Let's just say my left foot continues to be a digital appendage and needs a bit of work on finesse :-) and isn't quite LFB friendly....

Mike
Old 10-14-2016, 06:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I hope you are going to try using 3rd gear going up the hill and to the next two turns before downhill. leaving a solid 50hp on the table in those areas as i mentioned in a prior thread . (no need to be running 5-6k when you can be running 6-7k rpm) Huge gains possible there. i think they will trump ( ) any possible gains of LFB or RFB.

just do it for one lap.. i think you might be surprised to the results. those GT4 cars wont be out accelerating you !
Its a good thought and I have tried it over and over both ways. The bottom line is that if I had a 3.5 gear that would be best. At both the uphill and west bend I wish I could go down to 3 but it almost instantly redlines and then I have to shift back to 4th and lose a little momentum. The best thing to do is try to keep as much speed, and thus as much revs up high, to keep the power down.

That's why PDK cars have such an advantage as they'll shift the gears in corners like this putting a manual transmission driver at a disadvantage.

Originally Posted by JP66
Yeah, I've watched Van's videos a dozen times and seen for myself plus the car has some track rash to show for it - gives it character. I asked SST to get a logo and call the car The Ugly Duckling. Hopefully that plus the big X on my tail will make everyone give me some extra room on my first couple races

First actual ride is scheduled for Nov. 4th with Simon Kirkby riding along. Will be my first experience on slicks. Can't wait!!

Got some minor bad news today though. Seems the car is too loud for LRP as is so will need to add a bigger muffler and lose a touch of power if I want to drive it in practice sessions with the LRDC.

That big X on the back of your car is "Hi! This is my first race and I am easy picking!"

People told me that the X would warn people to give me room. That's not what happens so just be warned! It can also make them a little afraid of what you will do so it balances itself out.

What class are you planning on running in?

Definitely a learning experience!!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:25 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mark kibort

Unfortunately, the SP2 I plan on racing opens a whole new "Can of Worms" in that it has less than half the HP of the Cayman R, and the Skippy MX-5 that prompted this thread was in 4th gear and almost redline after No Name straight all the way to the Down Hill so no real option there hence the discussion on "settling" the car.

A Skippy instructor said a very interesting thing to me at the end of the class. He said the first thing you learn is to control the contact patches on the tire. The second thing you learn is to control the springs. LFB on the Down Hill is a question of learning to control the springs.

That big X on the back of your car is "Hi! This is my first race and I am easy picking!"

People told me that the X would warn people to give me room. That's not what happens so just be warned! It can also make them a little afraid of what you will do so it balances itself out.

What class are you planning on running in?
Haa! I'm just hoping I finish my first race with no mistakes and a car all in one piece that way I figure if there's a DNF behind me I can say I wasn't last

I bought a 944/SP2 car that is being rebuilt by Speed Sport Tuning of Danbury, and I plan at least one season with that just to be sure I'm good and truly addicted, but ultimately I'd like to join the new SPC group in a couple 2-3 years.

Saw your car today being loaded on the trailer at SST! Good luck in Daytona!!
Old 10-14-2016, 08:21 PM
AlD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't driven either of these cars (other than a Skippy MX5) at Lime Rock, so won't comment on that....other than a Skippy MX5 car may NOT be the platform you want to optimize some of your hand/footwork in, though the physics are the same

A few thoughts

1) I think Mario Andretti once said "people who think brakes are only for slowing down are missing something" (or similar)

2) LFB is a practiced skill; in my experience it requires the brake pedal itself shifted over, and you have to train your foot and brain to modulate properly. To many, it's sort of like shooting left-handed....same process, just different!

3) on my data, the biggest advantage was I gained a few tenths on transitions from throttle to brake, and occasionally for going back to throttle. In reality, I should be shifting my right foot faster. On data, I have have gotten good enough that my brake pressures, the shape of the curve and the amount of overlap is pretty low

4) anecdote, in endurance racing, LFB drivers tend to use brake pads up noticeably quicker....due to overlap

5) the point about maximizing the tires, then maximize the springs, is sort of on the right path. If you're "brushing" the brakes, ask yourself if you're trying to reduce speed, shift weight/increase pitch or both. If you are lifting or braking after that, you're also crossroading the front and encouraging the rear to get light.

6) At LRP, it's key to use the compression to get the car turning, and add power to keep the rear end behind you (I'm oversimplifying). Doesn't matter if RFB, LFB, or a big/small lift, the key thing is to manage the platform as it transitions. The uphill is similar, just that gravity is working on a slightly different vector. I have zero prototype experience at LRP, some Skippy formula cars (which again, I have my doubts about) but in GT cars, it's about managing the weight transfer.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
This reminds me of one of the times I was practicing LFB on track.

Around the hairpin at our little H2R track, a little LFB would be great to settle the front while still putting on the power and getting the car to rotate.

However, I had forgotten where my left foot was when I came around the front straight and went to upshift. I'm just glad nobody was on my tail at that moment....

Despite my repeated attempts over the years... on track or not...
Let's just say my left foot continues to be a digital appendage and needs a bit of work on finesse :-) and isn't quite LFB friendly....

Mike
And that is true for most...
Old 10-14-2016, 09:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AlD
I haven't driven either of these cars (other than a Skippy MX5) at Lime Rock, so won't comment on that....other than a Skippy MX5 car may NOT be the platform you want to optimize some of your hand/footwork in, though the physics are the same

A few thoughts

1) I think Mario Andretti once said "people who think brakes are only for slowing down are missing something" (or similar)

2) LFB is a practiced skill; in my experience it requires the brake pedal itself shifted over, and you have to train your foot and brain to modulate properly. To many, it's sort of like shooting left-handed....same process, just different!

3) on my data, the biggest advantage was I gained a few tenths on transitions from throttle to brake, and occasionally for going back to throttle. In reality, I should be shifting my right foot faster. On data, I have have gotten good enough that my brake pressures, the shape of the curve and the amount of overlap is pretty low

4) anecdote, in endurance racing, LFB drivers tend to use brake pads up noticeably quicker....due to overlap

5) the point about maximizing the tires, then maximize the springs, is sort of on the right path. If you're "brushing" the brakes, ask yourself if you're trying to reduce speed, shift weight/increase pitch or both. If you are lifting or braking after that, you're also crossroading the front and encouraging the rear to get light.

6) At LRP, it's key to use the compression to get the car turning, and add power to keep the rear end behind you (I'm oversimplifying). Doesn't matter if RFB, LFB, or a big/small lift, the key thing is to manage the platform as it transitions. The uphill is similar, just that gravity is working on a slightly different vector. I have zero prototype experience at LRP, some Skippy formula cars (which again, I have my doubts about) but in GT cars, it's about managing the weight transfer.
Very good, perceptive post. Thank you!

I DO have substantial prototype, sports racing and some formula car experience at Lime Rock, and these cars are a little less adversely affected by the "release of stored spring energy," in Skippy speak...

Quick Reply: Left Foot Brake only on LRP Downhill? Bad idea?