Shock Canister Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 09:59 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Call Angelo Zarra,

Been through this a bit with my car and Angelo helped me - that focus was actually bump stops. Although the canister pressure CAN look like increased spring rate, it has a number of unwanted side affects, stiction and hysteresis, but I am not smart enough to understand all of the interactions...

Ray
Old 10-14-2016, 12:48 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For it to act like spring rate you gotta really be in the upward range of pressure. Say above 225-300. That will cause lifting forces of the nitrogen trying to compress back against the fluid putting pressure on the divider piston. It will make the damper more supportive, crisp, and reactive by reducing cavitation. This is good for say sebring where you have huge bumps and compression and damper velocities are 10-20" a second.

Stiction is where it is at. I personally use can pressure to tune on the tire sidewall using stiction manipulation. A michelin you can really beat on with pressure (250 and above), but a conti or a hoosier you will get a lot of flat slides in high speed high load situations when the sidewall folds over, so i run aggressive front pressure (150+) and sometimes as low as 80psi rear depending on what the tire is doing. Running low pressure reduces damper longevity as the x-rings rely on pressure to seal, but it works.

I could write a book on this and cant cover it here. But my phone is always on. You guys know that.

-T.O.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:50 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Bought it and read it. Now I need to find out what 2 way JRZ RS Pro's Im running are doing with turns of the ****.

Tim? How much high speed is being adjusted with the low speed per click?
on an RS-Pro its digressive because it is only double adjustable. so it is pretty flat depending on what valving you have. (i am assuming factory)

probably 10-15lbs below click 7 and 25lbs above click 7 as the bellville pre-load gets pretty aggressive.

Quick Reply: Shock Canister Question