Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About NT-01s getting better down to the cords...

Old 10-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
IMHO, that is a bit oversimplified. I would add
  • Average lap times.
  • Consistency.
  • Level of drama.
  • Ability to run different lines.
  • Passing and being passed with minimal impact to both cars.
  • Level of situation awareness.
  • Ability to avoid mistakes with cars in mirror.
  • If instructing, progressing as an instructor/coach.

and there are others. PBs are a nice simple way of measuring performance, but they are not the only metric. There is a whole lotta' stuff going on out there.

-Mike
Couldn't agree more... Would add ability to self analyze, adapt and correct as necessary...
Old 10-10-2016, 06:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

ive run some very fast lap times on near corded RA1s( same theme here). a lot of time, it depends on the conditions... but on the very hot days, the Old RA1s would peform much better than 6 heat cycle hoosiers (R6) . such a great all purpose tire. i put 1000s of street miles on those tires too, while using them for qualifying and commuting to the track. best bang for the buck.. oh , they were free from the audi WCGT team!
Old 10-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd like to add one data point to this. I run NT-01's on my car exclusively, and find that the fastest times are when the tread is still visible, but barely. A full slick with these tires is 50% tread life left, so I guess I would call it 55% tread.

That being said, I have had these tires at the sweet spot of tread life and have had very little grip at times. I think I have figured out that if you overdrive these tires (which I did before they were heated up to the correct operating pressure) you can glaze them. Other tires might be throwaways at this point, but I have found that if you cool the NT-01's down and wear off this "glazing" then you get your tire back. They are very resilient. This could have been the case.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:25 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I've been running NT01s on the same car for a long time. I believe there was a change in the formulation or manufacturing process around the time the Toyo R888 was introduced. NT01s prior to that had a very different aging characteristic (better and better as you ran through the rubber). Now, my best lap times come midway through the lifespan, with a gradual (and then more precipitous) falling off as the tires run out of rubber. On the plus side, I think they might last longer now. But I don't think they are ever quite as fast as they were in the pre-R888 period.

I've heard similar things about the re-introduced RA1s, which would make sense (since Toyo and Nitto are the same company and the compound for both is/was reportedly the same).

I have no concrete data on this -- just my subjective experience.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
C'mon man. I think you are carrying this too far. Maybe I should've been more direct and just went ahead and made my point. Running mismatched tires is risky regardless of driving level experience and as an instructor you do set the example for your students.

Mike stated his intent was to experiment and I think that's fair.

Peace?
Agree with everything you said, sorry if I jumped on you, just feel like Mike is a pretty regular contributor (as are you) so I may have been a little defensive when responding to you as he was just trying to contribute.

Cheers,
Old 10-12-2016, 11:59 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I believe there was a change in the formulation or manufacturing process around the time the Toyo R888 was introduced.
I agree, Jack. Similar experience with my car and a bunch of sets of NT-01s. I tried getting the heat cycling done with the latest set but still didn't get the same life to the end that the early sets had.

So, to the O.P., interesting experiment. Wish we could do it with the old, original NT-01. It's a bummer but I still think it's a good tire choice for what I'm doing.

Rich

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About NT-01s getting better down to the cords...