Sponsored by:

let's talk downforce

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool
There are a couple answers to that question. (1) my brain has decided that my bank account isn't nearly bruised enough and this seems like a perfectly reasonable way to beat it up good and proper. (2) I want to get around tracks more quickly. More specifically, I'm looking for more down force to help settle the car better over bumpy straights (T1->T2 at Palmer), more aero to help take fast corners with more speed/throttle (T2 @ Palmer, T2&T10 @WGI, Downhill @LRP etc.) and more grip on initial braking on long straights. I'm already investing in coaching when I can (Pete A. at the Glen on Monday) and am still learning the craft of driving. More HP isn't going to help me much at this point because I mostly need to use more of what I already have in my Cayman S. I like my brakes (GiroDisks/Pagids) and tires (R7s). I'm doing 2:11 laps at the glen and 1:00 at LRP and would like to see if I can learn to put some aero to work for me. Does that make sense? Where in your guys development did you jump to aero packages and why?
It does make sense. Realize however that suspension can and would solve a lot of what you describe in a Cayman. My view is to address suspension and weight and set up before adding aero.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:08 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ Bingo
Old 10-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Are you extracting everything you can out of the current setup?

How much faster can a pro drive your car, and are you interested in closing that gap re. further skill development before jumping to aero bits?

Have you considered suspension improvements to meet your goals (what has been done so far) prior to aero?
I can always get a bit more by driving better! But it's getting harder. Let's see if I can get a 2:10 or 2:09 at WGI with CVR next week. I know I can get 1:47 or so at Palmer, and the data says that if I get a tad more consistent a 59 at lrp is just within reach.

I don't know what a pro can really get out of it. They don't seem interested in driving flat out in other people's cars. Peter Argetsinger was turninging easy 2:15s in it last time. Let's see what he does this next week.

In response to other helpful questions - I totally get that it isn't just a wing. I'd be looking at a good splitter (pretty well proven) and probably canards (crap-shoot). Am I right that no-one is selling the Bodymotion splitter new any longer?

Also, on mentions of the "getty wing". They have two wings now, as of just recently. The RS and the GS. The GS mimicks the 991 GT3 wing. I'll of course call them before ordering anything, but does anyone know the differences?
Old 10-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
It does make sense. Realize however that suspension can and would solve a lot of what you describe in a Cayman. My view is to address suspension and weight and set up before adding aero.
I have KW coilovers (V3) which came with the car. I think they are pretty lightweight (~400lbs) but seem like they are about right for my level of driving. But this is one area I've still got a lot to learn on. I'm having trouble really pointing to one specific thing with suspension and saying "I could fix that with more/less: spring/damping/sway". I have played with damping and found a spot where if I take much out or add much in I get slower. I haven't corner balanced. Next on my list there is to experiment with the sway bar settings (RSS).

The car has been mostly stripped, and is at ~2900# wet with a full cage. Would you really go for extreme lightening measures before adding a wing?

I put the question of work on the car to Pete A. in March when he drove it and he said (1) some Aero, and (2) fully disable the PSM. Yes this was secondary to ideas for the driver!

I'm not not trying to be defensive on this. Very much open to trying other things first! Just sharing what I've done to date. What do you think?
Old 10-07-2016, 02:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

In response to other helpful questions - I totally get that it isn't just a wing. I'd be looking at a good splitter (pretty well proven) and probably canards (crap-shoot). Am I right that no-one is selling the Bodymotion splitter new any longer?

Also, on mentions of the "getty wing". They have two wings now, as of just recently. The RS and the GS. The GS mimicks the 991 GT3 wing. I'll of course call them before ordering anything, but does anyone know the differences?
it looks like the RS wing has the the more dramatic compound angles of attack , which is more for a more stockish Cayman. the GS wing has less of the compound angles , is larger so it has more lift (downforce) and is designed to be higher up in the air flow.
Im sure both would work, but i would think the GS wing is going to cost more.

as far as canards go (or diveplanes).. they do work and are almost pure drag for any downforce they make.. i would only be bolting those on after you have tuned the car the best you can .
Old 10-07-2016, 02:33 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 760 Likes on 383 Posts

Are you extracting everything you can out of the current setup?

How much faster can a pro drive your car...?
If this were the test all of us took before modifying our cars, we would never do anything to improve our cars!
Old 10-07-2016, 02:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
If this were the test all of us took before modifying our cars, we would never do anything to improve our cars!
exactly... and to that point.... shouuld we all drive the car's stock until we get to some level, lap time performance?
this is no different than bolting on a set of hoosiers or anything else to make the car go fast. go ahead, bolt it on . figure out if it helps or not. tune it out if it hurts, . its not going to effect that much, and at worst, the car will look more like a race car!
The following users liked this post:
Murphey997 (09-15-2019)
Old 10-07-2016, 04:51 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I have KW coilovers (V3) which came with the car. I think they are pretty lightweight (~400lbs) but seem like they are about right for my level of driving. But this is one area I've still got a lot to learn on. I'm having trouble really pointing to one specific thing with suspension and saying "I could fix that with more/less: spring/damping/sway". I have played with damping and found a spot where if I take much out or add much in I get slower. I haven't corner balanced. Next on my list there is to experiment with the sway bar settings (RSS).

The car has been mostly stripped, and is at ~2900# wet with a full cage. Would you really go for extreme lightening measures before adding a wing?

I put the question of work on the car to Pete A. in March when he drove it and he said (1) some Aero, and (2) fully disable the PSM. Yes this was secondary to ideas for the driver!

I'm not not trying to be defensive on this. Very much open to trying other things first! Just sharing what I've done to date. What do you think?
A few comments:

1) Understand that I, nor Dave, are saying don't add aero, but rather to consider other things in the existing platform (other than the driver) that can help you go faster. Aero is expensive, can create imbalance, and on tracks with long straights in low horsepower cars can actually slow you down!

2) Given the weight, mods, and tires, there is another 1-2 seconds at the Glen available without aero.

3) If you aren't adjusting the sway bars to adjust balance/slip then I'd wager there's definitely more time in your car. Without knowing your sway bar dimensions, the general Cayman setup is lots of front bar and a little bit of rear. But you need adjustable drop links to be able to optimize sway settings i.e. to run asymmetrical holes and/or preload.

4) For a track only car at those lap times with an R7 you definitely need more spring. And if you are considering aero you will... need more spring.

5) If you are considering moving from DE to PCA racing you should think now about what class (SPC vs. H vs. I) you might run and this will impact where and how you spend money i.e. aero vs. not.

6) If you don't already have an LSD in the car then that should come before any other mods.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I am very familiar with both your car and the Glen.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Those are fair statements too, especially #6

A few comments:

1) Understand that I, nor Dave, are saying don't add aero, but rather to consider other things in the existing platform (other than the driver) that can help you go faster. Aero is expensive, can create imbalance, and on tracks with long straights in low horsepower cars can actually slow you down!

2) Given the weight, mods, and tires, there is another 1-2 seconds at the Glen available without aero.

3) If you aren't adjusting the sway bars to adjust balance/slip then I'd wager there's definitely more time in your car. Without knowing your sway bar dimensions, the general Cayman setup is lots of front bar and a little bit of rear. But you need adjustable drop links to be able to optimize sway settings i.e. to run asymmetrical holes and/or preload.

4) For a track only car at those lap times with an R7 you definitely need more spring. And if you are considering aero you will... need more spring.

5) If you are considering moving from DE to PCA racing you should think now about what class (SPC vs. H vs. I) you might run and this will impact where and how you spend money i.e. aero vs. not.

6) If you don't already have an LSD in the car then that should come before any other mods.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I am very familiar with both your car and the Glen.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

A few comments: 1) Understand that I, nor Dave, are saying don't add aero, but rather to consider other things in the existing platform (other than the driver) that can help you go faster. Aero is expensive, can create imbalance, and on tracks with long straights in low horsepower cars can actually slow you down! 2) Given the weight, mods, and tires, there is another 1-2 seconds at the Glen available without aero. 3) If you aren't adjusting the sway bars to adjust balance/slip then I'd wager there's definitely more time in your car. Without knowing your sway bar dimensions, the general Cayman setup is lots of front bar and a little bit of rear. But you need adjustable drop links to be able to optimize sway settings i.e. to run asymmetrical holes and/or preload. 4) For a track only car at those lap times with an R7 you definitely need more spring. And if you are considering aero you will... need more spring. 5) If you are considering moving from DE to PCA racing you should think now about what class (SPC vs. H vs. I) you might run and this will impact where and how you spend money i.e. aero vs. not. 6) If you don't already have an LSD in the car then that should come before any other mods. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I am very familiar with both your car and the Glen.
And 7:

Corner balance it. Makes a huge difference
Old 10-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt, and everyone. Very helpful. I'll digest this at the Glen next week Maybe even play around with the sway bars a bit.

Oh, and still curious if there are opinions on the two wings Getty Designs now has (they are the same price and use the same base and uprights).
And also whether there are alternatives to the Getty front splitter (outside of the used market).

-Erik
Old 10-07-2016, 06:31 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 760 Likes on 383 Posts

Maybe even play around with the sway bars a bit.
What a sec. Do you even know if you car understeers, oversteers, or is neutral?
Old 10-07-2016, 06:56 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
And 7:

Corner balance it. Makes a huge difference
not if you dont have adustable drop links. What happens if that you get the balance right on the scales at the expense of changing the spring values? It can work very strange on the track
Old 10-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Considering your car's level of preparation your lap times are respectable. Definitely some opportunity for improvement at the Glen. But from this point on the incremental reductions in lap times will be small bites. Don't expect to put a wing and a splitter on and drop 5 seconds.

I'd suggest sticking with what you've got until you know better what you need. Don't play with your sway bars unless there's a problem you want to fix. Stiffer springs will probably be more valuable than aero.

I installed a full "race" suspension on my '12 Cayman R and drove it like that for a full season. The next winter I gutted and caged the car and installed a Bodymotion splitter and a Getty wing. Other than the weight reduction the only performance change was the aero and it was a great way for me to see its effect on this car. It's meaningful but it's not huge.

As a point of reference, I just returned from two days at Glen. A friend of mine was there with his track prepared base Cayman in which he has done a 2:07 there. I saw his data to confirm that. The car does not have any aero other than what came with it when new. Nothing special about the build on his car. Just really good driving. And he's using the same R7's as you.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
What a sec. Do you even know if you car understeers, oversteers, or is neutral?
Yes sir. There's a touch of oversteer.

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Considering your car's level of preparation your lap times are respectable. Definitely some opportunity for improvement at the Glen. But from this point on the incremental reductions in lap times will be small bites. Don't expect to put a wing and a splitter on and drop 5 seconds.

I'd suggest sticking with what you've got until you know better what you need. Don't play with your sway bars unless there's a problem you want to fix. Stiffer springs will probably be more valuable than aero.

I installed a full "race" suspension on my '12 Cayman R and drove it like that for a full season. The next winter I gutted and caged the car and installed a Bodymotion splitter and a Getty wing. Other than the weight reduction the only performance change was the aero and it was a great way for me to see its effect on this car. It's meaningful but it's not huge.

As a point of reference, I just returned from two days at Glen. A friend of mine was there with his track prepared base Cayman in which he has done a 2:07 there. I saw his data to confirm that. The car does not have any aero other than what came with it when new. Nothing special about the build on his car. Just really good driving. And he's using the same R7's as you.
Thanks Jonathan. That makes a ton of sense - that the down force would exacerbate the relatively soft springs. Now my stupid brain can focus on buying me a new shock package instead of an aero package.

cheers!

Quick Reply: let's talk downforce