Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR 13 Hour - Oct 22

Old 10-05-2016, 10:19 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VIR 13 Hour - Oct 22

Surprised there isn't more talk/love for the endurance races on here... the VIR 13 hour is Oct 22. If you haven't tried a 'real' endurance race, you don't know what you're missing! Amount of seat time and the strategy side are a ton of fun.

Sanctioned by SCCA, but extremely accommodating to other licenses and car classes. Supps on msreg.com but a place for every kind of car.... guys like Fall Line and Bimmerworld to a gaggle of spec miatas.

For the cost of a front running PCA tire budget, you can rent a car for this event and share with a bunch of buddies. I think guys like Atlanta Speedwerks (Todd Lamb) are running spec boxsters and have open seats/cars.

An awesome time of year to be at VIR... will be my 11th year running this event and wouldn't miss it.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

And it is likely the last 13 hour from what I've been told by the folks that run the region that puts on the race.

Since the big power cars started showing up the low power cars have dropped off significantly and the race loses money every year. Not fun for a 2:20 spec Miata to deal with 1:57 cup cars. And not necessarily safe either.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:11 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

We will be there with the Spec Boxster. We have one seat open for a funded driver if someone wants to join us. Car holds the track record there and is well prepped.

I normally run the Mustang with Elgin but they have decided to move on to other things, so I'm in our Boxster.

I don't think the high HP cars were ever unsafe - the Mustang was faster than the cup cars and I don't recall any slow vs fast car incidents.

Should be a fun race - it's my 7-8th time running it and it's been great every year.
Driver Coaching / Trackside Support / Race Prep / Car Builds

SPB/SPC/GTB1 donors ready to go for your next build. We do cages in house as well.

PDK repair experts
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 10-05-2016, 02:10 PM
SM#80
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be running a 997 cup with the Fall-Line guys. First time at this event for me, so looking forward to it.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:38 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlamb
We will be there with the Spec Boxster. We have one seat open for a funded driver if someone wants to join us. Car holds the track record there and is well prepped.

I normally run the Mustang with Elgin but they have decided to move on to other things, so I'm in our Boxster.

I don't think the high HP cars were ever unsafe - the Mustang was faster than the cup cars and I don't recall any slow vs fast car incidents.

Should be a fun race - it's my 7-8th time running it and it's been great every year.
i've run the Devil in the Dark the last 2 years (in a miata), and I've always been impressed by how clean the Elgin Mustang ran. No crazy/low margin passes around slower cars.

We'll be at VIR for the 13 hour--my first time there for an enduro. Been there for other things but haven't been back since the repave.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:03 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

too bad same weekend as pca daytona.

Can any one post a few videos at night?

This was my first year there and the track is crazy. At night it must be insane
Old 10-06-2016, 10:00 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hard to see anything on video at night. It is VERY dark at VIR so you need really good lights that are properly aimed.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
too bad same weekend as pca daytona. Can any one post a few videos at night? This was my first year there and the track is crazy. At night it must be insane

Same: Daytona-bound that wknd.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:57 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddlamb
Hard to see anything on video at night. It is VERY dark at VIR so you need really good lights that are properly aimed.
I would assume it is way worse than sebring.

Figure maybe similar to the 25 hour at thunderhill?
Old 10-08-2016, 07:49 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Worse. At VIR there are no reflectors or pylons to mark the track at night.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:51 PM
SM#80
Rennlist Member

Well, it was a victory for Porsche at the 13 hour. My buddy and I managed to win the 13 hour enduro in his 997 Cup car. It was the longest enduro I have ran to date and a good test given it was just the two of us. And Todd, you are right, it was DARK at night, but it seemed like everyone had adequate light bars. Too bad this could be the last year for the event. The NCR did a great job hosting.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:21 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SM #80; congrats! Who were the drivers... did Mark Boden drive?

Agreed, a shame the race is going away for foreseeable future.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:52 PM
SM#80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJR911
SM #80; congrats! Who were the drivers... did Mark Boden drive?

Agreed, a shame the race is going away for foreseeable future.
Yep, it was myself and Boden. Lots of fun but was a little disappointed that pit stops had to be 2 mins if you were refueling. We were looking for a good fight from the Phoenix boys, but they retired with some transmission issues.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:02 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SM#80
Well, it was a victory for Porsche at the 13 hour. My buddy and I managed to win the 13 hour enduro in his 997 Cup car. It was the longest enduro I have ran to date and a good test given it was just the two of us. And Todd, you are right, it was DARK at night, but it seemed like everyone had adequate light bars. Too bad this could be the last year for the event. The NCR did a great job hosting.
congrats.

That is awesome on the win
Old 10-28-2016, 11:59 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the win, great team effort.

Hope the race runs again, be a shame to lose it at VIR.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VIR 13 Hour - Oct 22