Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which do you think is the most competitive class in PCA club racing? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Does this imply that mid-pack GTB1 racers would easily own the SPB podiums ? Or that podium SPB racers would max out at GTB1 mid-pack? Personally, I don't think so.
Mid pack gtb1 will be mid pack spb.
Big event we ´re 20-25 cars which is 2-3 biggest group in PCA ?

Lend me a spb and id me more than happy to get matt and james out the podium hehe 😉
Old 10-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Most competitive class? That is easy (I am biased) SPB for sure, no question about it. When you can take SPB racers from all over the country and everybody has multiple people to race with and the front 5-8 cars are separated by a second or so, its the best racing in PCA hands down.
I'm with Matt, for me to be (barely) in the front 1/3 of this very talented group my first season was very rewarding to me. Having 20-30+ cars every race makes it a hoot. When I ran my D Stock car it was the E Group and their bigger numbers that I always raced with, all I can say is it's going to be a loooong off-season...
Old 10-06-2016, 10:11 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
Once you know how to drive a slow car fast, you will be fast in a high hp car.
Maybe
Old 10-06-2016, 10:11 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

My gt3 is more fun to drive but E is more fun to race.
Gt3 easier to drive with power steering. E wears me out.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:05 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Does this imply that mid-pack GTB1 racers would easily own the SPB podiums ? Or that podium SPB racers would max out at GTB1 mid-pack? Personally, I don't think so.
not necessarily . that depends on the skill variance across each field. I think you have to be equally good to win in each class, given that with 30 racers there's always a great chance you have to run an almost perfect race to win.

what I say with my comment that faster = harder, is that 2 drivers with different skills will be closer in lap times in the slower car than in the faster one. This is due to the amplifying effect of being earlier on throttle with more power or better on the brakes coming from higher speeds

Therefore there's more perceived competitiveness in slower cars because they end up running closier together with different set of skills through the field.
Just look at an F1 race and pay attention to the gaps between cars when one makes he tiniest mistake? It creates a 100yds gap right away!
Old 10-07-2016, 06:51 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
what I say with my comment that faster = harder, is that 2 drivers with different skills will be closer in lap times in the slower car than in the faster one. This is due to the amplifying effect of being earlier on throttle with more power or better on the brakes coming from higher speeds

Therefore there's more perceived competitiveness in slower cars because they end up running closier together with different set of skills through the field.
Just look at an F1 race and pay attention to the gaps between cars when one makes he tiniest mistake? It creates a 100yds gap right away!
I think it's all proportional. Make the tiniest mistake in a low HP, low grip car and you'll also see the gap grow significantly vs someone doing it perfectly. It will take quite a while to catch up and "correct" it. Sure, 100yds is peanuts for F1 and eternity for SPB but I bet equal mistakes (vs perfection) would take about equal amount of time and effort to correct in any class. Regardless of HP and grip, you're either straddling the grip limit as tightly as possible (in all directions -- lateral, braking, accel), or you are not.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:59 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

The reality is that even though you perceive it as a larger gap when there is more speed, it's only larger in distance, not in effort (of overcoming the distance gap). What you are oberserving is the input of additional speed. The effort to overcome the mistake or makeup the distance is easier in the faster car, which interestingly is also noticeable in F1.

Slower cars have the added 'feature' of not having horsepower to help correct situations and shortfalls. In fast cars, the addition of more throttle is frequently an option. This means that in the faster car, you can be less precise and achieve fast times. In the slower car, precision is paramount to fast lap times.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,829 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Slower cars have the added 'feature' of not having horsepower to help correct situations and shortfalls. In fast cars, the addition of more throttle is frequently an option. This means that in the faster car, you can be less precise and achieve fast times. In the slower car, precision is paramount to fast lap times.
No, not at the top, in fast cars... Full throttle is full throttle!

Precision is key, controlled aggression is key, percentage full throttle over the lap is key. Doesn't matter, high horsepower or less horsepower.

I do agree that if you're quick in less quick cars, you WILL be fast in quicker cars.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-07-2016, 11:04 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Matt fast time cause the car itself is faster

How many times you followed gt3 cars at your DE with your spb ?

Do the same in your 996 gt3 and you will lap them, not just follow them.

Driving a 996 gt3 to the limit is much harder than driving a boxster.

Also, one thing i learned in gtb1, once you overcook a pirelli slick , damn its slippery after that for the end of the race. I didnt have this problem in the boxster.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:56 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
Matt fast time cause the car itself is faster

How many times you followed gt3 cars at your DE with your spb ?

Do the same in your 996 gt3 and you will lap them, not just follow them.

Driving a 996 gt3 to the limit is much harder than driving a boxster.

Also, one thing i learned in gtb1, once you overcook a pirelli slick , damn its slippery after that for the end of the race. I didnt have this problem in the boxster.
Seb, I don't take my SPB to DE's. when I do, it passes most of the GT3's, Turbo's and GT2's it finds. If I drive my GT3, people expect to get passed, so it works out better for all.

I personally don't agree the GT3 is harder to drive at the limit than my SPB. For, it is absolutely the other way around. My GT3 is like an armchair compared to my SPB.

And SPB' ALWAYS overtook their tires. Tire management in SPB is a huge part of the strategy to win in one of them.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:23 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No, not at the top, in fast cars... Full throttle is full throttle! Precision is key, controlled aggression is key, percentage full throttle over the lap is key. Doesn't matter, high horsepower or less horsepower. I do agree that if you're quick in less quick cars, you WILL be fast in quicker cars.
Not sure I agree there are for sure partial throttle portions of a track in a fast car where you can make up for prior corner mistakes with full throttle

I can think of many corners on many tracks like that
Old 10-08-2016, 08:45 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'm with Matt, for me to be (barely) in the front 1/3 of this very talented group my first season was very rewarding to me. Having 20-30+ cars every race makes it a hoot. When I ran my D Stock car it was the E Group and their bigger numbers that I always raced with, all I can say is it's going to be a loooong off-season...
Me too. There are some new drivers coming to the class next year that I'm sure will be fast and existing drivers getting faster. I wish I was, it's going to be even tougher to stay in the front 1/3.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:28 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Not sure I agree there are for sure partial throttle portions of a track in a fast car where you can make up for prior corner mistakes with full throttle

I can think of many corners on many tracks like that
Very good point.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:59 PM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Seb, I don't take my SPB to DE's. when I do, it passes most of the GT3's, Turbo's and GT2's it finds. If I drive my GT3, people expect to get passed, so it works out better for all.

I personally don't agree the GT3 is harder to drive at the limit than my SPB. For, it is absolutely the other way around. My GT3 is like an armchair compared to my SPB.

And SPB' ALWAYS overtook their tires. Tire management in SPB is a huge part of the strategy to win in one of them.
I agree with Matt on this point. I use to DE and TT a 996 carrera and a 997 Gt3 before I started racing Spb and they were much easier to manage at the limit compared to Spb and even the cayman I just got which has jrz's, lsd, and wider tire.. Very nervous rear end at the limit in both of my mid engine cars. Cayman is definitely a little more stable/planted compared to Spb but similar handling characteristics.

As far as the most competitive class in PCA, my vote would be Spb due to the high skill levels at the front, large fields, and controlled cost. GTB1 is up there as well as others have clearly stated. I'm hoping SPC grows a lot in the 2017 and 2018 season. It's a really nice middleground between Spb and gtb1 for both cost and speed. It has the potential to be a very fun/competitive class.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Paseb
Race Car

Well, i havnt driven a spb but i might understand why you guys say they could be harder to driver compared to my F boxster. Im on hoosier and jrz and i run the **** out of the car and i dont recall having trouble/fear/danger with it.

Is there really a big advantage to it?

Quick Reply: Which do you think is the most competitive class in PCA club racing? Why?