Sponsored by:

HANS newbie has questions, needs advice for HPDEs

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 02:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
As previously mentioned, 4pt belts are not all that great. 5pt are safer than 4 imho, but uncomfortable. If you are going with harnesses, go with 6pt.

PCA has never allowed modification of a seat to allow the use of harnesses, and that applies to the passenger seat in a GT4 also. To put a harness on the passenger seat you would need a new seat. Keep the stock seat belt on that side and use you driver side three point when you have an instructor in the car with you.
Agree, if there is no pass through for a crotch belt I would look into a true track seat rather than use a 4 point belt. A HANS depends on your shoulders staying in position and if you can submarine under a 4 point it won't be as effective. IMO the Simpson Hybrid will work better in that situation but it's not what I would do.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:13 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to turn this into a H&N restraint thread, but I purchased the Scroth unit, and I totally recommend it for larger drivers... 3 out of 4 guys in our endurance race team have the Scroth unit now, and the 4th has a HANS. It just works well and is less fussy with fitment.

Hope that helps...
Old 09-28-2016, 03:48 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
I don't want to turn this into a H&N restraint thread, but I purchased the Scroth unit, and I totally recommend it for larger drivers... 3 out of 4 guys in our endurance race team have the Scroth unit now, and the 4th has a HANS. It just works well and is less fussy with fitment.

Hope that helps...
Thanks for the input... specifically, which unit? The one referred to above, or something else?
Old 09-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Thanks for the input... specifically, which unit? The one referred to above, or something else?
Schroth HNR Flex. Also, much easier and cheaper to mount a race seat into the passenger side and swap it in and out if need be. That way you do not need to cut up your beautiful bucket!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:05 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one -> https://www.schrothracing.com/products/shr-flex#3393

A good place to purchase one -> http://www.apexperformance.net/

100% recommendation on ease of use and mobility in the car.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:59 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The schroth looks nice...

Whats the scoop on the z-tech...? See it advertised everywhere, half the price, but never see any comments...
Old 09-30-2016, 05:39 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
This one -> https://www.schrothracing.com/products/shr-flex#3393

A good place to purchase one -> http://www.apexperformance.net/

100% recommendation on ease of use and mobility in the car.
Good deal. Seems that the Flex is the way to go! I appreciate the suggestions guys. Still on the fence about 4,5, or 6pt harnesses.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:59 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Good deal. Seems that the Flex is the way to go! I appreciate the suggestions guys. Still on the fence about 4,5, or 6pt harnesses.
Not an expert but the anchor points in the back of the Flex look too low to me. In a crash, this should produce a considerable downward angular momentum, puling your head downwards (instead of just stopping it from going forward). Personally, I'd stick with HANS. Could be wrong and things may have changed recently but almost every pro racer I've seen uses HANS.

No fence about harnesses -- get the 6pt.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:36 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm very happy with the Cantrell harness/roll bar and their GT4 subbelt mounts. Great fitment and easy to install yourself. They even have excellent installation instructions w/picts. I also recommend HANS and the Schroth Profi II - 6 pt harness "GT3" version. The GT3 version has the eye bolt connectors on the ends of the lap belts which connect in-place on the GT3/GT4 bucket seats (LWBS). I have an extra one of these harnesses (in black) for sale (sell $449, reg $549), purchased earlier this year - expires in 2021.

Note that some Head and Neck restraints may scuff your seats. I have had NO issues using the HANS. It has recessed screws and no sharp edges.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a GT4 with full buckets and am running Schroth 6 point belts with a Cantrell roll-bar and sub-belt mount. I had a 30 degree HANS and found it was not compatible with the seats. It pushed my head down. Bought a Schroth and it greatly helped. The Schroth 4 point you originally posted is specifically PCA approved for our cars and I think it is a good option.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:49 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Great thread

Quick Reply: HANS newbie has questions, needs advice for HPDEs