Sponsored by:

Helmet Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:49 PM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helmet Recommendations?

I've never had to buy a new helmet before. I bought my first helmet used from a guy in a local auto club. My 2nd helmet came from the BMW Performance school (gave it to "Advanced" class participants), but it's an SA2005 helmet that I can't use at my next event. Both helmets were open face, but after seeing various horror stories online, I've decided that my next one will be a full face one.

I only do 1-2 track events per year in a closed street car w/o a rollcage, so I don't really want to shell out a whole lot of $$$, but I always hear the saying "buy a cheap helmet for a cheap head" (probably started by the helmet companies).

I'd love to spend $200, but am willing to spend up to $500 for a helmet with a good fit and hopefully won't fog up. Other than fit, is there anything else I should be thinking about?

The main brands I've seen are:
  1. RaceQuip - seems to be more inexpensive - does that mean it's cheap?
  2. Zamp - seems to be more inexpensive - does that mean it's cheap?
  3. HJC - I've heard a couple of good review of the older AR10
  4. Bell - well known, but expensive - do you get what you pay for?
  5. Arai - even more expensive, seem nice.
  6. Simpson
  7. G-Force
  8. Black Armor - Just saw that they have a CF helmet at a way too good to be true price. Is it truly much lighter than regular helmets??

Are they all okay, or should I avoid some of them?

I test fit an open face Arai GP-J3 and I LOVED the fit. But, it was open face, and it was $630.

Any recommendations or good/bad reviews? Extra bonus if the helmet is HANS-compatible. I don't have one now, but if I'm able to hit the track more often a few years from now, I'd definitely get one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:05 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Bell Sport is nice entry level 2015 helmet in ~$300 range from many sources.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:47 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a Black Armor. It's nice, but not as light as the way more expensive CF helmets. All new helmets are Hans compatible. But all helmets don't fit the same. You should really talk to someone that sells a lot of helmets, and really try them on before buying. Nothing worse than a helmet that doesn't fit right and starts hurting 15 minutes after putting it on, or is too loose and doesn't offer max protection.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:56 PM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
I have a Black Armor. It's nice, but not as light as the way more expensive CF helmets. All new helmets are Hans compatible. But all helmets don't fit the same. You should really talk to someone that sells a lot of helmets, and really try them on before buying. Nothing worse than a helmet that doesn't fit right and starts hurting 15 minutes after putting it on, or is too loose and doesn't offer max protection.
Trying them on is definitely key, but I found that most stores only sell Motorcycle helmets, not SA rated. The one SA rated store I was able to visit (Wine Country Motorsports @ Sonoma/Infineon Raceway) had very few lower cost helmets in stock. They mentioned there was a significant backorder in helmets because Bell was moving their factory from China to Bahrain. I definitely found that most helmets didn't fit right, until I found the Arai GP-J3, which was perfect, but I've decided I want a full face and prefer not to spend $630+tax (in CA).
Old 09-26-2016, 08:58 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,584 Posts

+2

Go to a store, try them on, and then establish your price point.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Verboden
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to make a post with some vague information. Our local PCA did a HPDE about a month ago and during the drivers meeting the person involved in all the safety details said that Porsche national was significantly increasing/tightening safety rules starting in 2017. Alot of it had to do with belt requirements, age of equipment etc but there was something specific about HANS capability. I think along the lines of if you don't have the stock seats then HANS is required but I can't say with confidence. So the OP might want to move HANS from desirable to required to future proof the purchase.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:17 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Verboden
Sorry to make a post with some vague information. Our local PCA did a HPDE about a month ago and during the drivers meeting the person involved in all the safety details said that Porsche national was significantly increasing/tightening safety rules starting in 2017. Alot of it had to do with belt requirements, age of equipment etc but there was something specific about HANS capability. I think along the lines of if you don't have the stock seats then HANS is required but I can't say with confidence. So the OP might want to move HANS from desirable to required to future proof the purchase.
Oh geez. Here we go again. Someone overhearing something and now it's presented as fact with the usual disclaimer caveat.

Just think about this: LWBs are stock seats. So replacing the 18 way seat with a bucket for DEs now requires more stuff than if you had the OE buckets.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:49 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Verboden
Actually, one of the new for 2017 requirements for PCA events is:
- IF you have 4, 5, or 6-point restraints, you will be REQUIRED to wear a HANS of some type. (Yes, there is one specific type of 4-point restraint that will be OK.)

The worst new rule regards modifying the stock seats - it will not be allowed. So, if you cut a hole in the stock LWB's to allow harness use, you cannot have a passenger for PCA events, even if the OEM 3-point restraints are used.

You can use the GT2 seats, as they had a pass-through in the passenger seat from the factory. However, if an OEM Porsche seat is used, it must be one that was available for that car. So, GT2 seats will be OK in a Cayman R, Boxster Spyder, GT2, GT3, etc. Not OK for a regular Cayman, Boxster, or 911.

I imagine once all the new rules get posted somewhere, there will be people having a fit!
Old 09-27-2016, 05:04 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffJumper RS
Trying them on is definitely key, but I found that most stores only sell Motorcycle helmets, not SA rated. The one SA rated store I was able to visit (Wine Country Motorsports @ Sonoma/Infineon Raceway) had very few lower cost helmets in stock. They mentioned there was a significant backorder in helmets because Bell was moving their factory from China to Bahrain. I definitely found that most helmets didn't fit right, until I found the Arai GP-J3, which was perfect, but I've decided I want a full face and prefer not to spend $630+tax (in CA).
Car racing is an expensive hobby. Car helmets (with the correct ratings) are more expensive than top end motorcycle helmets (don't ask me why, maybe smaller market? Other, more expensive, certification?). It's very hard to get a cheap, approved, full face helmet which has a good fit and finish.

If you are on a budget, get an open face one, or save a bit more cash before buying a new one.

Apparently your helmet needs a certain rating for you to be able to run the car? Otherwise I would just get a very good full face motorcycle helmet. It's not as if you are running an open cockpit LMP2 car either.

Then again, maybe the experts can chime in, what's the opinion on using full face helmets in a car with airbags? Isn't there a problem with the chin part hitting the airbag in case of a crash?

Safety is a complicated matter.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:07 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

There are plenty of good helmets available in your price range. All the SA 2015 helmets will have threaded terminals molded into the shell where anchors for head and neck restraints can be installed.

Fit is key in choosing the right helmet. A poorly fitting helmet will become a distraction when driving on the track.

Below are some links to some nice helmets we have in stock and are in your price range. There are also instructions at the bottom of each page that explain how to take a proper measurement of your head. If you have any questions, we'd be happy to assist you.

http://www.ogracing.com/g-force-gf3-...-sa2015-helmet

http://www.ogracing.com/bell-sport-sa2015-helmet

http://www.ogracing.com/bell-m-8-sa2015-helmet

http://www.ogracing.com/simpson-bandit-sa2015-helmet
Old 09-27-2016, 09:25 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Actually, one of the new for 2017 requirements for PCA events is:
- IF you have 4, 5, or 6-point restraints, you will be REQUIRED to wear a HANS of some type. (Yes, there is one specific type of 4-point restraint that will be OK.)

The worst new rule regards modifying the stock seats - it will not be allowed. So, if you cut a hole in the stock LWB's to allow harness use, you cannot have a passenger for PCA events, even if the OEM 3-point restraints are used.

You can use the GT2 seats, as they had a pass-through in the passenger seat from the factory. However, if an OEM Porsche seat is used, it must be one that was available for that car. So, GT2 seats will be OK in a Cayman R, Boxster Spyder, GT2, GT3, etc. Not OK for a regular Cayman, Boxster, or 911.

I imagine once all the new rules get posted somewhere, there will be people having a fit!
If that is really true I can see DE participation dropping off. I already know that some regions experience that. Not only that but now you have instructors with cars out there that are no longer allowed to give students a ride. There already seems to be an instructor shortage based on emails I get. Now that might make that even worse.

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Apparently your helmet needs a certain rating for you to be able to run the car? Otherwise I would just get a very good full face motorcycle helmet.
There are some regions in the US that do not allow motorcycle helmets. I had one when I started and had to upgrade.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:21 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Helmet fitment

From our experience, if you like the fit of Arai, then these brands will fit best - Arai, Stilo, HJC, Bell. Most other models fit more "rounder" shaped heads so the forehead will probably be tight and the cheeks loose on the other brands. The helmet should have a uniform fitment around the entire head and it should be snug. The liner will break in as you wear it.

All SA2015 helmets are required to have the threaded M6 terminals installed in the helmet to accept a head and neck restraint.

Here's a link to our site that discusses helmet fitment (compliments of Bell) but is a great reference tool for all brands. Size charts are a guideline but not guarantee of fit.

http://www.apexperformance.net/SA201...g_ep_61-1.html

If you have a local shop, that's ideal situation to go and try them on. Otherwise, most dealers will let you exchange helmets for different size or model if needed.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 09-27-2016, 10:32 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
From our experience, if you like the fit of Arai, then these brands will fit best - Arai, Stilo, HJC, Bell.
Interesting...

I have an "Arai" head (having tested a few of them), but never owned one. I did own a HJC (motorcycle) helmet at one point and I currently own a Stilo car helmet. Bell doesn't fit me at all however.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:34 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Another tip: if you want to go for a cheap helmet, don't try on an expensive one (Arai, Stilo, Bell, Stand21.). Once you've tested one of those you'll never be happy with anything of the lower price range. The price difference is somewhere. You're not just paying for a name.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:43 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Interesting...

I have an "Arai" head (having tested a few of them), but never owned one. I did own a HJC (motorcycle) helmet at one point and I currently own a Stilo car helmet. Bell doesn't fit me at all however.

Bell can kind of go either way - if your head is in between round and oval, they usually fit OK. Another reason to go try them on in person if you can.

Quick Reply: Helmet Recommendations?