Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long to be "comfortable" with a track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:22 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
Default How long to be "comfortable" with a track?

So I fully realize it's not what I know but what I don't know that is more important STILL for a novice like myself, but after more than 50 hours of lap time at Lime Rock Park I think I am finally learning to "feel" certain elements.

I feel the camber in the road grab just before I hit the apex of the right hander when I time the throttle and entry well. I feel the compression and grip grow immensely on the UpHill and know just how to apply throttle a moment prior. I can feel the off camber slip of the car as I enter West Bend, and I love how the nose simply plants itself right as I turn the wheel when I brush the brake just enough but not too much or too early and time the downhill entry just right giving me confidence to get back on the throttle way earlier than I once did.

I am sure there is much I have yet to learn, but it took me 50 hours+ to get comfortable enough with this track that I feel like I can keep up with most other drivers in similar cars.

If you race, do you feel "comfortable" at all the tracks on which you race? How long does it take you to get comfortable typically, one day, one lap, a hundred laps?

How does one possibly gain this feeling when racing on a new track where at best you will get a few hours time prior to a race? Is it a skill you develop by visiting other tracks? Is it time spent on You Tube? Is it simulator time? Do you hire a local coach? Do you do it all!?!

As always, just wondering what the wisdom of Rennlist has to say on this topic?
Old 09-26-2016, 09:15 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

I'll start (before it goes downhill again):

As I have broadened my experience to various tracks, it is now easier to assimilate to brand new tracks quickly if you work very actively to figure them out while you are there with 1) a coach that understands your learning process 2) data and 3) video and 4) talking to the more experienced drivers. Last weekend it took me two sessions to get used to Summit Point, which has many elements of VIR and Lime Rock. It then took me another 3 sessions to run competitive lap times and make it on Pole for my class for the Points Races. I have to add that we did not make a single set-up change to my car all weekend, which is rare (I usually like to spend a practice day just experimenting with various set-ups - if I have the luxury of time to do that)

I am also a big fan of meticulous preparation: 1) Watch Video 2) Compile track notes with pictures that identify brake-on, turn in, brake-off, apex and track out points for each corner 3) Develop min speed goals for each corner 3) iRacing Simulation 4) Solicit advice of others
Old 09-26-2016, 09:20 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Driver dependent: pros, a few laps. Unskilled drivers, may be never.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I

I am also a big fan of meticulous preparation: 1) Watch Video 2) Compile track notes with pictures that identify brake-on, turn in, brake-off, apex and track out points for each corner 3) Develop min speed goals for each corner 3) iRacing Simulation 4) Solicit advice of others
+1 to this full list. I did this for my first trip to Watkins Glen recently and was pretty much up to speed and done finding all the big chunks of time by the end of day 1. Day 2 was just finding a tenth here and there but no more big chunks at that point. Day 3 I laid down a lap I was pretty happy with in the morning and never got faster after that (track was getting hot and slick though).
Old 09-26-2016, 09:26 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
Driver dependent: pros, a few laps. Unskilled drivers, may be never.
LOL. But Pros do it in a few laps because they spend a ton on time doing prep work, watching videos, sims, etc never mind the tremendous level of experience. For a "rookie" club racer, I would say watch as many videos as you can find online of the top drivers in your class, get on iRacing, and start driving more tracks. Seat time, seat time, seat time. And a few hints from the local racers sure do help sometimes.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:38 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Agree. I guess my point is that if you are taking a long time to learn a track, it may be because you are still learning to drive/race!
Old 09-26-2016, 09:45 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

How many different tracks have you done so far?
Old 09-26-2016, 10:00 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
If you race, do you feel "comfortable" at all the tracks
I thought racing was all about comfortable being uncomfortable
Old 09-26-2016, 10:05 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
How many different tracks have you done so far?
3 - LRP, WGI, NJMP (Thunderbolt). 4th will be this weekend at Thompson with Skip Barber. Doing the 3 day racing school. Looks like good news/ bad news though. Looks like rain and thats good 'cuz it will be my first chance to drive in the rain and it will be in a professional school setting. Bad news 'cuz won't have much chance to learn the regular dry line. It's in the Formula cars too so not sure how to dress - rain gear over the fire suit or just bring a change of fire proof under garments for each different day? Any thoughts?
Old 09-26-2016, 10:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Frank is probably the best prepared for a "new track" to him because a) he's meticulous and uses multiple approaches to identify what is most important and b) he focuses on the best available information, whether it be the drivers that he is benchmarking or the sources he solicits info from. For him to run with, let alone beat local ace Chuck Harrison in qualifying and a race, having never been there, proves the efficacy of Frank's methodology! Having worked with both has been productive and a lot of fun!

Course familiarity is THE fundamental underpinning of my coaching approach. A driver MUST know the order and severity of the corners before they can know what to do with throttle and brakes. The steering is easier if you KNOW the points you are trying to connect in an arc. And finally, the better you know the topography, the the easier it is to pick the places to "push" or "stand pat."

Every pro race weekend, up to and including F1, time is reserved for a track walk. I see drivers with thousands of laps, on their HOME track, walk religiously. That's mandatory.

Having actively used simulation training for course familiarization since 2002, this is the part of driver preparation that has grown most rapidly. Better graphics, laser scanned tracks and the ability to depend on multi-level (track level, eye level and above) permanent landmarks can allow a quick formation and reinforcement of critical "sight pictures" that allow for safe, but anticipatory throttle commitment. It's not important that you learn to drive the sim, but the muscle memory and knowing where to look next are the best takeaways.

As Frank says, it doesn't take long, after proper and detailed preparation, to get up to speed on a new track. Using all the width of the road (unless there is a compelling reason not to, Turn 5 at Summit is a good example), best execution of fundamental skills are what is required of any driver trying to come up to speed quickly.

Good stuff!

Joe, bring a change in clothes for each day and dry as best you can your suit, no plastic or burnables in the cockpit, even if it keeps you dry. You're going to be sitting in a bathtub anyway! Have fun!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-26-2016, 10:37 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
3 - LRP, WGI, NJMP (Thunderbolt). 4th will be this weekend at Thompson with Skip Barber. Doing the 3 day racing school. Looks like good news/ bad news though. Looks like rain and thats good 'cuz it will be my first chance to drive in the rain and it will be in a professional school setting. Bad news 'cuz won't have much chance to learn the regular dry line. It's in the Formula cars too so not sure how to dress - rain gear over the fire suit or just bring a change of fire proof under garments for each different day? Any thoughts?
How did you prep for WGI and NJMP? How quickly did you pick those up?

For WGI, I did 10-20 hours on SIm (Forza Xbox). Got within 4 seconds of my sim times on Day 1. Looked at data with another guy after Day 2 and shaved off that 4 seconds on Day 3. Probably would've been 2 seconds faster with 2 more sessions. Best time of weekend was 2:04.

The more tracks you run the easier to learn. And if you have very good car control, it goes even quicker.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:37 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I find the more tracks I drive the faster I learn new tracks. You start to picture corners relative to the similarities of those you already know.
Still a slow learner.
Humbling is a video of pat long. Doing a vintage club race at chuckwalla raceway. Having never drove the track or the car. 2 laps I think and he was fastest in the field.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:43 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I'll start (before it goes downhill again):

As I have broadened my experience to various tracks, it is now easier to assimilate to brand new tracks quickly if you work very actively to figure them out while you are there with 1) a coach that understands your learning process 2) data and 3) video and 4) talking to the more experienced drivers. Last weekend it took me two sessions to get used to Summit Point, which has many elements of VIR and Lime Rock. It then took me another 3 sessions to run competitive lap times and make it on Pole for my class for the Points Races. I have to add that we did not make a single set-up change to my car all weekend, which is rare (I usually like to spend a practice day just experimenting with various set-ups - if I have the luxury of time to do that)

I usually prepare for a new track by staying up late, drinking and smoking cigars, and then asking Frank for help!

In all seriousness, I know from speaking with Frank, and the tips that he has given me, that he is the most meticulously prepared driver out there.

For me, I like to watch videos and study notes, but being a more "visual learner", I find the videos and notes help only after the first day. I need to drive the track for a few sessions to burn it into my brain.

I just got back from Summit Point. After the first day on track I went back to the hotel and studied video and notes. The second day I felt really comfortable. I did find Summit familiar from all my time at Lime Rock.

Lastly, I think that all the pro coaching I have had has given me the tools to learn a new track faster than I could have just a couple of years ago. Probably the most important skill in learning a new track is the ability to keep your eyes up. There is no better upgrade to your car than seat time and pro coaching!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:09 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

1. The more tracks you learn, the faster you learn a new one. Pros can get within tenths of their best time after just a few laps on a new track.
2. Car control, to find and straddle the grip limit.
3. AIM Solo in Predictive Mode for instant feedback on different approaches for each section.

"Working" a new track is one of the most fun aspects of our sport for me.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:56 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I usually prepare for a new track by staying up late, drinking and smoking cigars, and then asking Frank for help!
LOL - You just made me spray my coffee through my nose!!

Quick Reply: How long to be "comfortable" with a track?