Sponsored by:

Garmin Virb

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:47 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garmin Virb

Looking to add a Garmin Virb action cam to quell my tech fettish. Data overlay included with the video for quick review after/between sessions on track weekends. I cant resist the urge to control it with my watch (Fenix 3) as my gopro remote has been a cluster.

Trying to see if there are any bluetooth obd readers that work with Porsche for RPM/Throttle position etc.

Has anyone here tried the Virb?
Old 09-16-2016, 12:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Haven't tried it, but when someone asks for something more reasonable than what I sell, I recommend the ViRB. No personal experience, though.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-16-2016, 07:56 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Its a great all in one. If they come out with some data analysis it might be a serious contender.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I don't think so (become a contender). I do think it provides good info for most casual DE/track day, and even entry level club racers. All depends on refresh rate and rendering rate.

Can you tell what is happening EXACTLY WHEN AND WHERE?

It's not expensive or particularly hard to design and build hardware like the ViRB. That's why it's reasonable!

It is expensive and it is hard to build "data analysis" software and keep it current and moving forward.

Much beyond simple speed/distance strip charts requires a good bit more back office development and support.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:30 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Its a great all in one. If they come out with some data analysis it might be a serious contender.

https://youtu.be/HWL6qrdfvHs
How do you get the data overlay? Is it automatic or need to fiddle with software afterwards?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:15 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Some of it is auto like speed, altitude. The rpms and such are done via Bluetooth OBD.

Peter I agree, I meant as far as entry level stuff like harrys, race pro etc. It wouldnt compete with real systems but for plug and play its pretty impressive. I always hate having to merge video and.data the night of an event when Im already tired. The refresh rate on this video looks pretty close albeit a tad off. Better than some of the delays on AIM solo stuff Ive seen. Im getting one because my Gopro's have gotten on my nerves. The data is just and added toy benefit for uploading to youtube quickly. Oh and like I said, my watch being my remote control. Im a garmin fan.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Some of it is auto like speed, altitude. The rpms and such are done via Bluetooth OBD.
So when you have the bluetooth OBD, the data (pedals etc) is added by the camera itself or do you need to use racerender or some other software to manually synch and overlay it? The image quality is good (much better than Smarticam HD 2) and lag seems to be better than Smarticam via OBD.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:36 PM
wanna911
Race Car

It comes with its own software that you check what gauges you want displayed. But its being collected already and all you have to choose is.how you want it displayed. No 3rd party app needed. I agree on the smartycam comparison.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

For the Ultra 30, it's 10 Hz GPS and 100 Hz accelerator. With the 4k video, it's a pretty cool camera.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:55 AM
wanna911
Race Car

I ordered an XE today. I hadnt even looked into the ultra. I dont really want 4k. But the 10Hz GPS and accelerometer might come in handy. Fortunately (?) I still get to choose as I got got by a smash n grab and had to cancel my card so will have to reorder next week.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:30 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks like a reasonable alternative for in-car video. Certainly looks more capable than the go-pro stuff. From looking at their website, it appears that you can hardwire power to it, which is a must have in my opinion.

The one thing it is missing that I feel is essential is the ability to start and stop video based on motion rather than hitting a button. After years of not capturing video when I either forgot to turn my camera on or turned it off when I thought I was turning it on, I switched to SmartycamHD. Minus that, until AIM gets the ability to truly link video to data analysis, this looks interesting.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:40 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by mglobe
Looks like a reasonable alternative for in-car video. Certainly looks more capable than the go-pro stuff. From looking at their website, it appears that you can hardwire power to it, which is a must have in my opinion.

The one thing it is missing that I feel is essential is the ability to start and stop video based on motion rather than hitting a button. After years of not capturing video when I either forgot to turn my camera on or turned it off when I thought I was turning it on, I switched to SmartycamHD. Minus that, until AIM gets the ability to truly link video to data analysis, this looks interesting.
Great idea. I'm going to recommend that on the Garmin Forums, they are great about updates. My watch gets one almost bi weekly.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

For Bluetooth OBD, I use a GoPoint BT1A. I have it talking to an iPhone (I use Track Addict), it captures rpms and throttle but not brakes.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Here's a vid with the ultra 30 and this one seems spot on. Camera is $500 though but worth the extra over gopro. Im going to try overlaying some heart rate data as well.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...b-gopro-hero-5

Quick Reply: Garmin Virb