Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top 5 reasons to race SPB

Old 09-20-2016, 12:32 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
So was this "coating" to build up the tops to increase compression or something else? Could this only be detected with on the dyno?

My opinion is that cheaters will cheat when there is nothing to be gained and continue to cheat even if they could win without it. Moral defect.
As Matt said, it's about managing heat within the combustion chamber. Makes for a cleaner burn, might help the upper range make cleaner power. I also agree it would offer a small advantage. But enough of those in a car sure will make it easier to drive. I have seen some weird stuff in my short time racing.

But everyone has already said it. It's driver, not car. Sure, you better have a well prepped car to stay up front, but to get there, you gotta drive.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:51 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 74 Posts

Canadians ammiright?
Old 09-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Canadians ammiright?
You know it!

I sent my motor to Swain Coatings and had the whole thing dipped...
Old 09-20-2016, 02:58 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Canadians ammiright?
Canadians... Everybody knows if you want things to flow smoothly through the insides you go to the Mexicans.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:50 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sealed motors.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 09-20-2016, 09:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Sealed motors.
Mine IS sealed, not one thing not covered in teflon....
Old 09-20-2016, 09:36 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the biggest reason for me to race SPB is the big fields.........
I can always find someone to race with..... at the end of the day if I finish top 8 I have had a good race.....
Facts are that in big fields, for most of us, there is always going to be someone faster, call them pros., cheaters or whatever, someone will beat you, so suck it up and enjoy the ride........
I consider myself fortunate to be able to afford such a hobby!
Old 09-20-2016, 10:00 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sealed motors.
So anyone that wants to have chain guide rails replaced for preventive maintenance would have to take their car to one place, which could charge whatever they want to replace them, just so the motor could be verified with the sealing? And how would a stock junkyard motor be verified? Same principal? It doesn't appear to be cost effective, which is in the spirit of spec racing. Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking....
Old 09-20-2016, 11:41 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Sealed motors.
I suggested similar to Walt at LRP earlier in the year. We had a detailed conversation where there is opportunity in the car.

I do believe we will see more from PCA on this.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:03 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 968workaholic
So anyone that wants to have chain guide rails replaced for preventive maintenance would have to take their car to one place, which could charge whatever they want to replace them, just so the motor could be verified with the sealing? And how would a stock junkyard motor be verified? Same principal? It doesn't appear to be cost effective, which is in the spirit of spec racing. Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking....
No I don't think you're wrong at all. It's not easy to pull off and would cost more to boot. But, the advantage would be to know that every motor was within a few hp of each other and couldn't be modified if done properly. I would pay 2k more for an engine in that case for the peace of mind. But, not much more than that. PCA could set the rates for the engines, spec them accordingly, do the necessary IMS, etc. and designate a trusted engine builder/s that is willing to do it at that price. Take all of the headache out of sourcing a new one also if you blow yours. Then tech could check the seals on the engines. Just a thought.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:58 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

No I don't think you're wrong at all. It's not easy to pull off and would cost more to boot. But, the advantage would be to know that every motor was within a few hp of each other and couldn't be modified if done properly. I would pay 2k more for an engine in that case for the peace of mind. But, not much more than that. PCA could set the rates for the engines, spec them accordingly, do the necessary IMS, etc. and designate a trusted engine builder/s that is willing to do it at that price. Take all of the headache out of sourcing a new one also if you blow yours. Then tech could check the seals on the engines. Just a thought.
Oh please no. I'm in the process of building a shop so that I can put in my own junk yard motor when the damn things blow up. They can tell now with the OBD II scanner if it more then a couple HP over.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:43 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sbelles
Oh please no. I'm in the process of building a shop so that I can put in my own junk yard motor when the damn things blow up. They can tell now with the OBD II scanner if it more then a couple HP over.
Don't worry Scott...doubtful that would ever happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top 5 reasons to race SPB