Sponsored by:

Top 5 reasons to race SPB

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 03:38 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Get me one of those cheater motor cars and Ill bet on it!

My comment is more related to that the lap time of the ultimate winner is usualy a couple tenths on west coast. So 10 more HP would put my lap a few tenths faster therefore being the fastest if it wasnt already (sorry didnt mean the prior comment to be cocky, just data)
Haha, I get it.

Great group of guys in the east and Texas so you should choose a bucket list track (Road Atlanta, VIR, Mid-O, the Glen, etc) and head east at least once.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:46 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ckkrause
I can verify Audipwr1 is a very good driver, period.... 10 hp @ the wheels is more than a 5% increase and at the pointy end of the field it can make a significant difference...

MMuller- Name the piston manufacturer so we can prevent a Spec Miata future for Spec Boxster... You are implying there are 30 illegal motors out there... Time to step up!

-Chuck
I wont name the piston manufacturer, just like I wont name the drivers who I have openly seen do things that are a violation of rules for the last few years. I am not the cop and its not my job to enforce this stuff. Its the job of the sanctioning body, of which I have spoken to about some of the things I have observed the last few years.

I agree with Robby and Matt. Hp wont beat a better driver. Not at many of the tracks I drive at. I have a rebuilt motor in my car as it was an exercise for me and the shop I was with at the time to find the difference between used and fresh and what wear items we were seeing in motors that had been raced. What I can tell you about the motor we rebuilt which came from a crashed SPB that had raced both east coast and west coast was that it had OEM pistons in it, that had a non OEM coating on them. We had the coating removed to make them OEM again.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:05 PM
jkb157
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Robbie, Matt and Matt. I my opinion,the real difference is the driver. That is what this class is all about. If you got to throw money at the car to make up for your deficiency as I driver, then a session with Dr. Phil may be in order. When I compare data to drivers ahead of me, it is clear the problem is behind the wheel. But the reason I posted the thread was to get other opinions why the class is growing.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:31 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
I wont name the piston manufacturer, just like I wont name the drivers who I have openly seen do things that are a violation of rules for the last few years. I am not the cop and its not my job to enforce this stuff. Its the job of the sanctioning body, of which I have spoken to about some of the things I have observed the last few years.

I agree with Robby and Matt. Hp wont beat a better driver. Not at many of the tracks I drive at. I have a rebuilt motor in my car as it was an exercise for me and the shop I was with at the time to find the difference between used and fresh and what wear items we were seeing in motors that had been raced. What I can tell you about the motor we rebuilt which came from a crashed SPB that had raced both east coast and west coast was that it had OEM pistons in it, that had a non OEM coating on them. We had the coating removed to make them OEM again.
I applaud you for doing the right thing in removing the coating! I am happy to hear you contacted the sanctioning body, (PCA...Vicki?). I didn't really expect you to reveal the name of piston manufacturer.... My point was that we, as participants, must watch out for our class...

I also agree with Jkb157. It doesn't really affect me in that I am a midpack racer, not because of cheaters but due to a diminishment of my abilities as I get older, (64!!!) and general lack of talent!!!!

-Chuck
Old 09-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I certainly don't want cheating to become an issue, but I don't dwell on the fact that there may be cheaters. It just doesn't impact me.
I've podiumed at Hastings in a smaller field of 15-16 SPBs. I've finished top 10 in 30+ fields of some of the best SPB drivers in the country (Drake, Oxner, Gladwell, Jones, etc.), and I've finished mid-pack.
I find my success - or lack thereof - is typically a function of my driving.
As such, my objective is to improve as a driver each time I get in the car, improve my racecraft, and have fun.
That said, I hope it does not turn into a series like SM with rampant cheating.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:59 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here are my top 5 reasons to race SPB:
1. Camaraderie
2. Close racing
3. Car is easy to maintain and most problems can be fixed at the track
4. Spec tire performance is consistent through 20+ HC
5. Driver performance is the key differentiator
Old 09-18-2016, 01:10 PM
Pcargirl31
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Top 5 reasons (as a SPB rookie this year):
1. Talented quality drivers
2. Competition is fierce, close (but FU-UN!)
3. Best PCar racing "bang for the buck"
4. Awesome race shop....Coaching help + close knit gang
5. Number of cars in the field + growing
Old 09-18-2016, 02:48 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I just got it perfect, will be selling my F class to go to spec box. I love spec classes and this one is awesome for many reasons.

BTW, my experience is that Spec Miata does not have rampant cheaters. They get teched more than anyone under any banner in amateur racing.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 09-18-2016, 02:56 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Remember spec Miata before the cars were 75k bare shell builds, we all want to win and many have means to buy those tenths via going right to or just beyond the rules - but let's keep this class great - else I'm buying a NP01
Would really like to see a 75k SM....???
Old 09-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

Hypothetically how does one strip the coating off a piston and can it be done by Friday morning? Hypothetically . . . .
Old 09-18-2016, 11:06 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Would really like to see a 75k SM....???
Goto spec Miata forum or go to track and look at the top 4 cars - bare shell builds with new oem suspension / data you are there
Old 09-18-2016, 11:52 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Hypothetically how does one strip the coating off a piston and can it be done by Friday morning? Hypothetically . . . .
Pistons in a Soda blaster before engine assembly. It could be done before Friday. It only takes money.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:51 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

love the SPB!

The donor cars are affordable and a great way to put them to use.

Mid engine porsche. What is not to like!

Are the motors getting harder to find?
Old 09-19-2016, 12:51 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Reason no. 6

SPB are like the borg and take over every thread. There are no classes except SPB. You will be assimilated!
Old 09-19-2016, 12:58 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Provost Motorsports
The key to winning in SPB is to have a mirror handy so when you lose you know where to look....
I may have to steal this for Spec Miata!
Driver Coaching / Trackside Support / Race Prep / Car Builds

SPB/SPC/GTB1 donors ready to go for your next build. We do cages in house as well.

PDK repair experts
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Quick Reply: Top 5 reasons to race SPB