NA 944 Guys. Air intake question

Old 08-15-2016, 09:32 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts
Default NA 944 Guys. Air intake question

Hi All;

I am working on my SP2 944. Planning my first race at Summit. The previous owner routed the cone filter for the cold air intake, through the drivers side fender opening and mounted the cone in the fender well. It's positioned front of the tire, tucked up into the fender. I'm concerned that the filter will be exposed to dirt, rubber, and potentially water. Is this a valid concern? Should the cone filter be re-located inside the engine compartment? I've seen video's where a box is created just behind the removed headlamp with fresh air routed to that area.

Comments and suggestions welcome. If pictures are needed I can take them tonight. Thank you very much.

Don
Old 08-15-2016, 11:21 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
Hi All;

I am working on my SP2 944. Planning my first race at Summit. The previous owner routed the cone filter for the cold air intake, through the drivers side fender opening and mounted the cone in the fender well. It's positioned front of the tire, tucked up into the fender. I'm concerned that the filter will be exposed to dirt, rubber, and potentially water. Is this a valid concern? Should the cone filter be re-located inside the engine compartment? I've seen video's where a box is created just behind the removed headlamp with fresh air routed to that area.

Comments and suggestions welcome. If pictures are needed I can take them tonight. Thank you very much.

Don
yes, put the intake back in the engine compartment for the reasons you listed. there is no real performance difference on the track for such a mod unless you mount your air filter in such a way , in the engine compartment that compartments it off from engine air and also takes advantage of ram effects (have a front bumper or bas of windshield intake area air source)

remember, ram effect is at MOST less than .05psi at high speeds, that's less than a 1%. and with a very optimal intake too. temperature, is easier to figure out, but you will find with temp probes of wheel well vs engine compartment, that those differences are very small tool however, very easy to make covered box that is fed by oncoming air if you want to squeeze the last few ponies out of the intake.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:30 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Just as a data point, this is what our air filter looked like after 4 hours. This is a stock air filter with the stock snorkle. We'll either need frequent cleanings, or another solution for our intake too.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
Just as a data point, this is what our air filter looked like after 4 hours. This is a stock air filter with the stock snorkle. We'll either need frequent cleanings, or another solution for our intake too.

you should see mine after a day at Laguna. filled with sand! funny though, my inlets are two inlets above the radiator and the base of the windshield . cant even imagine the mess if i had mine in the wheel well!
Old 08-15-2016, 04:05 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don,

I have never experienced a cone filter on these cars that actually increased power to the point that it makes it worthwhile. The data and experience seems to show that the stock location with a clean filter is the best place. I just attended a PCA club race, and their was a number of very dirty cone filters on 944 cars. The SP2 winner had a stock air box. Hope that helps.

P
Old 08-15-2016, 06:21 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Cool air to your intake, even with no ram effect, can make a measurable hp difference so is worth having. I'm not familiar with the 944 stock airbox, but if it gives you air from outside the engine compartment, personally I'd take that over a cone filter.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Cool air to your intake, even with no ram effect, can make a measurable hp difference so is worth having. I'm not familiar with the 944 stock airbox, but if it gives you air from outside the engine compartment, personally I'd take that over a cone filter.
all stock air systems provide air intake out of the engine compartment. its all about pressure drops . people Think that a cone filter will provide less restriction and that is not always true. its easy to measure with Sunx sensors. ive done a lot of this. its better to just leave the stock system in place, with an aftermarket KN filter in that, and run at the track. sometimes the engine compartment at speed is not that warm. usually there is a lot of air flow through this area. you need temp sensors to know for sure. there is not a lot of power there either way, most of which would be in ram pressure, but you need bumper feeding inlets to do this. (which also do both ram and air temp improvment)
Old 08-15-2016, 09:43 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
all stock air systems provide air intake out of the engine compartment. its all about pressure drops . people Think that a cone filter will provide less restriction and that is not always true. its easy to measure with Sunx sensors. ive done a lot of this. its better to just leave the stock system in place, with an aftermarket KN filter in that, and run at the track. sometimes the engine compartment at speed is not that warm. usually there is a lot of air flow through this area. you need temp sensors to know for sure. there is not a lot of power there either way, most of which would be in ram pressure, but you need bumper feeding inlets to do this. (which also do both ram and air temp improvment)
Agreed, I have a different header panel now. The air box is where the head light used to be with the air intake where the turn signal used to be so it is a high pressure area. The air box has a lid on it to keep the high pressure air out of that part of the engine compartment. I can get pictures of it finished tomorrow if anyone is interested.

It isn't difficult to keep a couple filters on hand.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm interested in additional pictures if you don't mind posting them.. Thank you guys for all the comments.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:27 AM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Don, has the car been tuned/chipped? If so the tune will be optimized with the current set up. If the car has a Stock ECU chip the stock air box is best.

Picture of how I have my intake on the of the cars.
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2016, 01:33 AM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

heres mine. Got it from Fordahl Motorsports
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2016, 07:12 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

I could not figure out how to down load these pictures. The first 2 pictures show the air intake box with the top on. The next shows the air box with the top off. The last shows where the air intake is located.

https://rennlist.com/g/album/5780282
Old 08-17-2016, 05:17 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

in many tests, we found that the AFM doesnt work as well with a tube attached to it, as it did with the stock air box. the stock airbox is pretty flow efficient. it would be interesting to do a back to back test with the stock /kN filter vs the tube and cone filter. the AFM has that funky flap door that is not that restricitve in itself, but the opening size is very small (only about 4 square ") making something that resembles a big plennum, with the stock bell (square bell mouth ) opening, might help. either way, very few HP found in these mods we have found.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:15 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

I do not use an air flow meter.

Last edited by rlm328; 08-17-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:57 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlm328
I do not use an air flow meter.
i know.. i saw... i was speaking to Jeff's and autosea's, pics

yours is a very nice design.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NA 944 Guys. Air intake question