Sponsored by:

Pagid RS29 Minimum pad depth

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Welcome to the Kibort vortex... also known as the twilight zone...
Just the facts at first my friend.. the jokes and confusion brought to you buy the guy with the weak abs.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:27 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
On my old clunker, pfc tend to destroy my caliper seals after 1 event, pagid i can go a whole year or more.

Talking to a pagid rep the last bit of pad that you get the crumbling on is because of the adhesive to the backing plate so change em out prior, I've run it lower with no issue but now change them a little sooner
I know that this discussion has now morphed into "what you always wanted to know about ABS but never dared to ask" but one side note:
I switched to Silicon caliper seals and they're still holding strong after several track days - just sayin'
Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Never seen or heard of the for my car...84 carrera.
If you have a link I'd be more then happy to give it a shot
Old 07-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, this ABS thing has taken on a life of it's own...lol. I visited with one of the Pagid guys yesterday on the old vs. new ABS issue with regard to whether more heat is generated even by the early ABS systems. His opinion was that ABS really started to compete with the ability of the best drivers somewhere around 2005 and today it's even better. On the older ABS systems it may take longer to stop the car but when one wheel is being modulated (often the inside front) the others are still working overtime (especially the outside front) to stop the car. So, the ABS workload is lower but the corner loaded tire can exceed the temperatures of the other corners, even if only temporarily. Clearly the potential temperature increase from an early ABS system will be less than the newer systems.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 07-28-2016, 03:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
Yes, this ABS thing has taken on a life of it's own...lol. I visited with one of the Pagid guys yesterday on the old vs. new ABS issue with regard to whether more heat is generated even by the early ABS systems. His opinion was that ABS really started to compete with the ability of the best drivers somewhere around 2005 and today it's even better. On the older ABS systems it may take longer to stop the car but when one wheel is being modulated (often the inside front) the others are still working overtime (especially the outside front) to stop the car. So, the ABS workload is lower but the corner loaded tire can exceed the temperatures of the other corners, even if only temporarily. Clearly the potential temperature increase from an early ABS system will be less than the newer systems.
And thats what we were saying all along.... "clearly the potential temp increase from early ABS will be less than the newer systems".
The real question is whether early ABS systems can induce more heat, which they cant if the driver can decel at a greater rate .......generally.

However, to the point of your "trail brake" scenario, this a special case. yes, i agree, in this case ABS could induce (for a brief time when there are uneven loads on the front or even on rear tires). this is a special case and it falls in to the over used term ("it depends") in a straight line threshold braking scenario, an abs will slow the car less and the heat will be greater than if ABS is engaged.
however in this "new" condition, yes, its conceivable that that outside tire could work harder if ABS is engaged due to the fact that without ABS engaging, you would be slowing more to prevent wheel lock up, in that section of turn entry, at a slightly slower decel rate. Remember, this is a special case and generally, we are talking about beginner drivers getting into ABS, generally only in straightline braking situations. (not the very short period where ABS is engaged during the last part of a braking action, during trail brake).
With a seasoned pro driver, like WCGT or WCT, those guys would run no ABS systems where the lifting wheel was locked up and the weighted wheel was at threashold. in those cases, a skilled foot and knowing when to back up due to lock up or high slip rates, is the race craft that would certainly show proof that even with ABS engaged, the loaded wheel wouldnt show any additional braking forces.

as skilled drivers, without ABS (or with) , we all know this dance with lock up. its also a reason to use engine braking as it acts as a natural ABS for the rear tires on decel.

Again, that is a theory and depends on many factors with the ABS system and how its interacts with the tire grip on all sorts of car attitudes and weight transfers.

Quick Reply: Pagid RS29 Minimum pad depth