Sponsored by:

Pagid RS29 Minimum pad depth

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 08:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
Any pad will transfer more heat as it gets thinner. If you engage ABS extensively, you're dumping a ton of heat into the brake system which will increase the wear of the pad. If you use ABS a lot, you'll benefit from running a more aggressive pad like the RSL1 or RST3.

https://www.paragon-products.com/kb_results.asp?ID=97
I dont think ABS does anything for increasing heat, only in that you are at the in and out of the limit of adhesion for the tires and on and off with max forces on the pads and rotors. however, it should be even worse to be just at the limit without ABS.

best to just change out the pads at 5-6mm and be safe and know there is still a good insulator there to protect the calipers.. ... Personally, i havent noticed much of a differnece in caliper temps with new vs 6-7mm pads, so i would think the difference is pretty small. if you have a 1400degree heater with in mm of the aluminum cast parts, they are going to get hot!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

Actually, Mark, Jason is correct
Old 07-25-2016, 09:27 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
well, if so, i would like to hear why.. i have used and tried to abuse the ABS to prove two things, i can brake faster, which with the slow scan rate 928 ABS, thats easy, AND that there is no difference in heat. (much harder to prove)

so, if it is true, rather than using a testimonial as proof, I would love to know how ABS could in practice or in theory , induce more heat into the braking system.
for those involved in electronics, there is a chopper voltage, constant aperage to control amperage, and there are switching losses that cause heat... in this braking analogy, there are no such losses that i am aware of in a ABS system.

if you are going to validate the expert, you should really provide some reasoning or proof. i dont know for sure, but i have an idea of why ABS wouldnt cause more heat.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:49 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Don't see how that can be true, but interested in seeing the facts
Old 07-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

"If you engage ABS extensively, you're dumping a ton of heat into the brake system which will increase the wear of the pad."

Give it some thought...
Old 07-25-2016, 10:03 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

"If you engage ABS extensively, you're dumping a ton of heat into the brake system which will increase the wear of the pad." Give it some thought...
If you engage the brakes a lot you will dump a ton of heat into the pad as well - that's not the question

I believe the question was if you use abs more than one threshold braking you are introducing disproportionate more heat to the pad.

I don't understand how that is the case which is why I asked
Old 07-25-2016, 10:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

It's the totality of the statement. In addition, extensive rapid application/release/application/release (emphasis on extensive) under ABS does in fact create more heat than traditional braking (a single application followed by release ).
Old 07-25-2016, 10:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Generally? PFC can be run to the backing plate with no degradation of performance or heat transfer.
My data and experience show that not to be true. I've found PFC to create more heat in the rotor and transfer more heat to the caliper. This was verified on brake dynos in the lab as well.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
My data and experience show that not to be true. I've found PFC to create more heat in the rotor and transfer more heat to the caliper. This was verified on brake dynos in the lab as well.
Your observation has nothing to do with what I said.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Generally? PFC can be run to the backing plate with no degradation of performance or heat transfer.
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Your observation has nothing to do with what I said.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:52 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2016, 11:48 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

It is generally recommended that you don't wear Pagids too thin. However, I can speak from much personal experience that you can run Pagid R29s and R19s down to the backing pad without problems. Done it many, many times though I run PFCs nowadays. Maybe not recommended but it is doable if you're willing to watch the pads very closely after every session.

I did have non-OEM brake cooling front and rear, however.

And, yes, I'm pretty hard on my brakes.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Matt, creating more heat in the rotor has nothing to do with their ability to be run to the backing plate. Capisce?

Two separate comments.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:31 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

The 29s I use are 18mm new, I change them at ~9mm

Any pad transmits more heat to the brake fluid as it gets thinner. The more aggressive the pad compound is the more heat will be transferred to the brake fluid. This last item makes it difficult to compare pads

I have had brake fade issues at WGI w/ 9mm 29 pads and black flag to idle in pit lane, coming off a hot track and sitting w/ foot on brake because of that little bit of a down hill a lot of additional heat is transferred to the fluid.

hard to see how abs action adds additional heat over constant threshold braking
Old 07-26-2016, 10:10 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Back to the original question: I noticed that the pad material on Pagids starts to crumble when you go below 5 mm. So if you do that check the pads after every session, to make sure that your surface area hasn't shrunk

Quick Reply: Pagid RS29 Minimum pad depth