Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross post -- WGI in GT4

Old 07-21-2016, 05:05 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Cross post -- WGI in GT4

Just finished two days at The Glen with SCDA. As usual, Elivan Goulart and the Prout family put on a great event (RIP Ian--terrible, tragic loss--still can't get my head around it).

This was my second track event in the GT4, the first being Lime Rock several weeks ago. I posted at that time that the GT4 didn't feel quite comfortable to me at LRP. Not sure what it was, but likely it was just me getting used to the very different layout and feel of the GT4 compared to the 991S I had been tracking previously.

Glad to report that the car felt absolutely fantastic at The Glen. Comfortable, confident, great grip, and surprisingly good power on such a long, power-centric track. Even on the couple of downhill braking zones, the car didn't exhibit too much rear-end wiggle. My rear toe settings probably help with that, as does my newer, more gradual braking technique. The car doesn't reward just stomping on the brake pedal.

High-powered Z06s and modified GTRs were in abundance, as expected, but except for those cars, the GT4 kept up nicely with most of the other cars in the advanced run group. It was even doing well matched against E36 M3 racers on Hoosiers.

I would be interested to see how the car feels on Hoosiers, but right now the limit is clearly me, and likely will be for a long time. The Pilot Sport Cup 2s did well, and my alignment settings seem to be helping tire wear, which was quite even. I ran them at around 31-32 front hot and 34 rear hot. The Michelins communicated quite audibly in the corners, and didn't seem to overheat, despite ambient temps in the mid 80s. They also did okay in a couple of wet sessions, as long as I took it easy and there wasn't standing water.

Ended up with a personal best of 2:14.15--was thrilled with this. Over 3 seconds faster than my best time in my 991S, and that had the advantage of PDK. My timing was with my AiM Solo. I've included a RaceKeeper video clip--interesting that it shows a best of 2:14.23. I think it's because the RaceKeeper's calibration assigns the start/finish near turn 1, so lap times aren't an exact match to the more accurate Solo. You'll also notice that the G meter is 90 degrees off--it shows longitudinal G forces as lateral, and vice-versa, because I have the RaceKeeper unit mounted sideways on the floor of the car, and didn't recalibrate it.

I've seen a YouTube video of a Cayman R doing 2:07s, which is absolutely flying. I'm assuming he was on Hoosiers. In the clip, he is carrying a lot more speed than I was through the bus stop and other corners. Could be a combo of his superior skill/cajones, and tires. But again, overall I was very happy. The car felt great, and the new track surface is amazing.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:47 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice video, not a coach or a pro. but it seems you are overslowing for many, if not all the turns......
Try carrying more speed thru the turns and your times will drop dramatically......
Old 07-21-2016, 11:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Nice video, not a coach or a pro. but it seems you are overslowing for many, if not all the turns...... Try carrying more speed thru the turns and your times will drop dramatically......
Funny how that works!
Old 07-21-2016, 11:23 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I'd be wary of the blue bushes in my new GT4 too. The times will come down with more confidence and that comes with seat time and coaching.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:12 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Nice video, not a coach or a pro. but it seems you are overslowing for many, if not all the turns......
Try carrying more speed thru the turns and your times will drop dramatically......
Baby steps. I'll try to build up corner entry speed and mid-corner speed gradually. Although my Sport Cup 2s were certainly squealing, but maybe there's still quite a bit of traction available after the initiation of squeal...

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I'd be wary of the blue bushes in my new GT4 too. The times will come down with more confidence and that comes with seat time and coaching.
Yep. I'll most likely enlist the services of Mr. Elivan Goulart this season, at least at Lime Rock.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Elivan is terrific! Careful, measured but always pushing gently forward!

The Cayman R you should look at (if that is not him already) is my friend BeantownKMan.

Instead of raising speed into all corners, do a study of the lowest speeds in each corner between you and better laps and focus only on the widest variance in one, two or three corners MAXIMUM. Focus concentration on the areas that will net you the most benefit, and by doing so, you'll improve your performance without adding risk.

Great post, congrats!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cross post -- WGI in GT4