Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Missed a shift? How bad was it?
Old 07-25-2016, 10:48 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad enough.

Coming out of T11, I went 2nd to 1st and hit 8950 rpm. Broke a rocker but also appear to have bent at least one valve. I'll know more once they get a chance to look at it more closely. It should be fixed by Road America, I just have to work a few extra days of consulting to pay for it. It's a bummer as I only had ~40 hours on the engine.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:40 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

I am sorry to hear that.

My engine had only 35 hours on when the piston broke at Laguna in May. Mat is doing a full rebuild on mine. I should be ready to go for the last two PRC events in September and October. I might be able to get it ready for the August event at Thunderhill but that venue in August will probably not offer the best conditions to break in an engine.

We are doing a bunch "while we are in there" stuff too. It's just dollars, right?
Old 07-26-2016, 12:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Bad enough.

Coming out of T11, I went 2nd to 1st and hit 8950 rpm. Broke a rocker but also appear to have bent at least one valve. I'll know more once they get a chance to look at it more closely. It should be fixed by Road America, I just have to work a few extra days of consulting to pay for it. It's a bummer as I only had ~40 hours on the engine.
So sorry to hear it... broke my heart to see that puff of smoke out the tail pipe and see you pull over immediately after us having such a great race together!

Great to see you out there and good luck getting it back together.
my condolences!!
Mark
Originally Posted by Tom W
I thought traffic was an issue in the PCA group but not as much in the SCCA group. For PCA my qualifying time was abysmal (1:41) and came shortly after I ran 1:38 with the SCCA group. However, it was fun doing the work to overcome the position I qualified in during the races.

Overall I thought the track was only a little slower than normal (I've run LS ~5 times). My all-time best is a 1:35 and this weekend my best was a 1:36.9 (IIRC).

I had some great races until I missed a shift and ended my weekend 1 lap early for the SCCA race and then missed the 3rd PCA race. I used a new camera system and hope to post some video soon. I did finally beat Mark in SCCA race #2 (at least until I broke) and the video is pretty good.

Paul was too darn fast for me to keep up to in my little putt-putt.
we both had bad quals in the SCCA races, i think i was 15th in race 1 with you just ahead and that was a fun race getting up to 10th.... race 2 i thought i qualified well, but everyone else just got faster! so that race climbing up to 7th was more about the beginning of the race and folks breaking .
Same lap times for me in both races 1:36.9 /1:37.0 .
yes, you beat me in race two... i just couldnt keep up the pace, my tires were going and then the transmission started to overheat and the diff wasnt working (wheel spin) so , i backed off a hair and you got by. thought i could hang, but that strategy didnt work good fun though! (until you zing'ed the motor..... ugggg! )

this was the first time ive used brand new tires and that was fun . however, still off my best time reached 2 months ago on almost new tires of 1:36.1 and i did that time back in 2011 too. so, i think the track was about 1 second slower if i was to guess. it did have a lot of oil on it for sure.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:28 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It was absolutely great to see Tom and Mark again and to meet Paul in his monster 3.8 Rothsport rocket ship. Paul drove the bleep out of that car and his lap times proved it.

I thought the track was more slippery than I remembered it from 4 years ago. I think with 60+ cars in a group the track gets dirty and slippery quickly. I had new shocks and was playing with setup on old tires all weekend and couldn't find 3rd gear if you dropped it on my dick. No excuses, I also drove like ****.

I thought I could run Supertrapps off elbows and make 103 db easily. Wrong. I had to tighten them down (16 plates) which killed my torque and even then they wiggled loose in Race 2 and I was black flagged after 4 laps. I just loaded up and headed home as the NEW turbo in my diesel quit on me Saturday and I wasn't sure if I could even make Salinas much less LA. It worked out fine and went over the Grapevine at 45 without any boost.

Hope to race with all of you again sometime-someplace....
Old 07-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, if nothing else you may get to trounce me at Fontana again next year. And you could always come up at the end of October for Sears Point.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:23 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Bummer John!! I was looking forward to talking cars and exchanging war stories! sorry to hear the weekend was frustrating!
next time.... and ill come down to willow or cal speedway this next year too!

Mark
Old 07-27-2016, 02:03 AM
pukka
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This weekend was my first time out with PCA after racing mostly Spec Miata. I was driving the Blue #19 BTM Motorwerks car. It's a USTCC/GTB1 car (vanilla 03 996 w/ X51) but we were on slicks so raced up in GT-3. It was a pleasure to run with you all and sample the Porsche waters. The off-track and Baja Cantina dinner was a good time and big thanks to the PCA National staff and the GGR staff for a great event.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca Club Race