Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LRP. Braking after the downhill turn Apex????

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 07:39 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
Default LRP. Braking after the downhill turn Apex????

So found this video of a guy setting the lap record in a Skip Barber race. Looking at the video and data it looks to me like he eats everybody's lunch on the downhill turn because it appears he accelerates all the way to the Apex and THEN brakes slightly.

That can't be right! What am I missing?

Old 06-30-2016, 07:52 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

no braking for him.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:05 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

He actually shifts up there, so maybe it's the change of sounds that's making you think he's braking.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:09 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

He's definitely not braking down there. Scrubbing off some speed as the wheels are turned - yes but he's definitely on the gas at the apex.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:06 PM
noturavgm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lack of throttle through the Downhill is not a happy feeling.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:19 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

So wait are you guys all saying you take the downhill "sans" braking. Do you simply lift?
Old 06-30-2016, 09:49 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
So wait are you guys all saying you take the downhill "sans" braking. Do you simply lift?
In my SP3 car, yes!! Although it usually takes a couple of sessions to rebuild the confidence to do so
Old 06-30-2016, 09:49 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, at least in an SPB.......

I took it flat out in a Skippy car during my 3 day racing school (trying to imitate Carl Lopez in Going Faster)...... it didn't turn out so good..... at least for the skippy car.....
Old 06-30-2016, 10:18 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I my FF we do it flat from west bend to big bend:-) We shift to 4th under the bridge and flat out to the end of straight.. It is a Formula Ford, I dunno in a tin top..
Old 06-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes - GTB1 Cayman - it does take a couple of laps to work up to it.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:59 PM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes no brakes and no lift most of the time on 944 turbo @ 3000 lbs on Hoosier r7 or similar
Old 07-01-2016, 04:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

JP66, the answers others have posted don't tell the whole story.

Drivers need to be careful when attempting to follow other driver's advice, especially in this area of the track.

Exit speed from West Bend, where and how long drivers shift up, how long the throttle is not at 100% from turn-in at West Bend to braking at Big Bend are all very important factors to how those drivers ostensibly "do the Downhill flat."

When viewed more completely, this can be very illuminating. And it can puncture this urban myth that you can't have a fast lap without "going flat" down the Downhill. Too many similarities with Turn 12 at Road Atlanta... Same deal.

There are certain, specific methodologies pro and accomplished am drivers use to build up to the point where the percentage full throttle over this entire section can be incrementally improved, but please, DO NOT change what you're doing just because you read on Rennlist that others "do it flat."

I love all you guys (and know most who have posted), but my several hundred megabytes of data in a variety of cars (including my own experience there over the last thirty years, in about four dozen different cars) indicate that there are a tremendous number of "degrees" in "going flat" down the Downhill.

And many that have done it once, CHOOSE not to do it every subsequent lap...

Sheesh...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-01-2016, 07:10 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Drivers need to be careful when attempting to follow other driver's advice, especially in this area of the track.

Exit speed from West Bend, where and how long drivers shift up, how long the throttle is not at 100% from turn-in at West Bend to braking at Big Bend are all very important factors to how those drivers ostensibly "do the Downhill flat."

When viewed more completely, this can be very illuminating. And it can puncture this urban myth that you can't have a fast lap without "going flat" down the Downhill. Too many similarities with Turn 12 at Road Atlanta... Same deal.

There are certain, specific methodologies pro and accomplished am drivers use to build up to the point where the percentage full throttle over this entire section can be incrementally improved, but please, DO NOT change what you're doing just because you read on Rennlist that others "do it flat."

I love all you guys (and know most who have posted), but my several hundred megabytes of data in a variety of cars (including my own experience there over the last thirty years, in about four dozen different cars) indicate that there are a tremendous number of "degrees" in "going flat" down the Downhill.

And many that have done it once, CHOOSE not to do it every subsequent lap...

Sheesh...
This is very true, be careful what you wish for.. There have been very many wrecks there, Amateur and pro drivers alike.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:01 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

I drive flat out!

Old 07-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Peter - of course you're absolutely right but the question was very much pointed at one particular well known high risk point on the track that prompted these "flat out" bragging comments in good fun. Of course nobody wants anybody to get hurt and I would therefore caution anybody to follow free advice from the internet.

The fact is that you need to time your throttle lift (to a 1 or 2 pedal) and subsequent turn in as you hit the compression perfectly and brush the curbing at the apex. There are massive consequences if you mis any of those.

BTW - This is the same as going up the Esses at VIR "flat out" or T12 at Road Atlanta.

Quick Reply: LRP. Braking after the downhill turn Apex????