Sponsored by:

NJMP Thunderbolt and Lightning Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:57 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default NJMP Thunderbolt and Lightning Feedback

It's great to see pros out here helping out us newbies to get better at this driving thing. I'd appreciate some feedback as well. I feel like there is not much left in my car or in me at these two tracks, esp Lightning.

The car is stockish 993 4s on NT01s (just sway bars and old street coilovers). This is my 2nd season, so still plenty to learn. I think I'm getting comfortable with the car at speed so what to focus next on? Vision? More precise line? Go offline more often? All of the above is probably the answer.

3 Laps at Tbolt, pardon the wind noise. 2nd lap is the best. I'm going back there in August.

Best lap at Lightning and no more wind noise
Old 06-29-2016, 10:38 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Don't have a lot to offer as advice since I am a newbie too, , but I can recommend Van Svenson's lap record as a worthy "training" video. It's a 2600 lb car with only 140 HP at best, and he turns a 1:36! Way to go Van!

Old 06-30-2016, 01:33 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice driving!!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:53 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Should be flat from the exit of the Octopus all the way to T1. Track-out more from exit of T1-T2, WOT sooner after exiting T2. Approach of Octopus I stay middle, then brake into late apex which keeps car mid-track before transitioning left. Patience with throttle.

Lightning looked much better. You were working the car a bit more in that video, in a good way!
Old 06-30-2016, 01:47 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
Should be flat from the exit of the Octopus all the way to T1. Track-out more from exit of T1-T2, WOT sooner after exiting T2. Approach of Octopus I stay middle, then brake into late apex which keeps car mid-track before transitioning left. Patience with throttle.

Lightning looked much better. You were working the car a bit more in that video, in a good way!
Thanks. Cool that you see the difference from the videos.

I've spent a lot more time at lightning this year and became much more comfortable and was able to try various things.

At tbolt, I had issue of turning the steering wheel too quickly and hence early apexing.
I have to shift before front straight, and I figured right before the turn would be the best place.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:02 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYC993
Thanks. Cool that you see the difference from the videos.

I've spent a lot more time at lightning this year and became much more comfortable and was able to try various things.

At tbolt, I had issue of turning the steering wheel too quickly and hence early apexing.
I have to shift before front straight, and I figured right before the turn would be the best place.
I have to grab 4th just before turning right onto the front straight at Tbolt. Maybe 500rpm short-shift, but better that banging-off the rev-limiter at the apex. Still, WOT from exit of Octopus until T1, with a quick upshift to 4th before entering front straight.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:20 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I have to grab 4th just before turning right onto the front straight at Tbolt. Maybe 500rpm short-shift, but better that banging-off the rev-limiter at the apex. Still, WOT from exit of Octopus until T1, with a quick upshift to 4th before entering front straight.
^ this, in a SPB
Old 07-02-2016, 08:42 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Here's a decent video from Tbolt in my 964. First event of this season. We were running the stupid chicane at this event. Forward about 5 minutes to get past warm-up stuff. She had a bit more in her, but I hadn't thawed from the winter yet. LOL.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:03 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Chris, thanks for posting. What the heck is wrong with your camera? Almost unwatchable...

Jeff
Old 07-02-2016, 02:35 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
Chris, thanks for posting. What the heck is wrong with your camera? Almost unwatchable...

Jeff
Yeah. Iphone5s, Harry's, Ram Mount. It's the best I can do.....
Old 07-02-2016, 05:55 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Yeah. Iphone5s, Harry's, Ram Mount. It's the best I can do.....
I get it. Seen a lot of Harry's video, I think the mount is key. Nice driving though.

Quick Reply: NJMP Thunderbolt and Lightning Feedback