Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE versus racing. What is your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 12:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by hunterpeaks
Only thing I have to add is that if you start racing, you are most likely at some point destroy your car. If you race long enough, it's probably going to happen. And you'll be in a few incidents along the way as well. I have replaced fenders, quarter panels, bumpers. And let me tell you....It sucks each time.

Racing is amazing though and highly addicting. The old famous question applies here as well. Aspiring racer asks, "Hey, I am thinking about getting into racing, how much money should I budget for it?" Old racer replies, "All of it.".
Man, I have raced for thirty years (and won more than 200 races) and I have NEVER destroyed my (or anyone elses) car. I DON'T think that is inevitable. It does suck to crash, however, and I have done that...

What happened at VIR? Back of the car looked "crispy." It was good to see you out there, for awhile.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-28-2016, 12:34 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by hunterpeaks
Only thing I have to add is that if you start racing, you are most likely at some point destroy your car.
Simply untrue. This does indeed happen to some people. But you statement is far too inclusive.

It certainly is possible that you car will get totaled but it is a relative few to which this happens.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
The instructors #1 priority is to get you around the track safely. He doesn't know you, you are new to the club and track, he has nothing to gain by helping you seek out a few tenths here and there. Not worth the risk. Be thankful he is willing to put his life in danger to show you around. As for the slow speeds: each club has different acceptable levels of speed an aggressiveness. Depending on which club I'm running with I could be at the pointy end or buried in the middle of the pack, at the same track running the same laptimes. Some groups run hard and close, others queue up and wait patiently for a point by. It should be clear in the drivers meeting, and/or after the first session, what the expectation is. Sounds like you just need to find a club that has a better match to your expectations for a track day.
Actually this may be heresy to some...but when I am in-car coaching (or instructing as a volunteer) my #1 priority is MY safety. Which pretty much assures the driver's safety as well...
Old 06-28-2016, 12:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by docwyte
As an instructor I have two main goals for my students: I'll start trying to correct their lines, braking etc to get them smoother. They'll gain speed naturally because of that.

I'm not a race coach and won't be analyzing data with them looking for tenths of seconds. That's not my job or my goal...
Good on the former (we all do that), but I think you're falling foul of the "analyzing data" part of it.

I'm not a "race coach." I'm a "driver performance analyst." That's my job. I'm not looking for a lap time improvement, I'm looking for better quality execution of fundamental skills, JUST LIKE YOU ARE. As you say, the times come after that and as a byproduct.

Like you, I evaluate the performance of my student/client, then guide in the direction I feel that #1) respects their desired risk exposure (generally nil) and #2) will net them the highest quality (and global) improvement for the next session.

Instructors should be open to using tools like data (in my case, primarily "intelligent video") to review with their student what happened in the car and allow education of and elucidation to the student/client AWAY from the distractions present when driving the car. Stark, objective and non-judgmental measures, captured by simple and readily available tools, help the process for many.

Is it good for all? Heck, no. But after the first TWENTY YEARS of being STUCK in DE instruction progress, I have lived through a groundswell of students and instructors in the last decade looking for (and now capable of) a FAR more objective, less subjective evaluation and review of driver performance. That's what we should ALL strive for...

Originally Posted by Cory M
The instructors #1 priority is to get you around the track safely. He doesn't know you, you are new to the club and track, he has nothing to gain by helping you seek out a few tenths here and there. Not worth the risk. Be thankful he is willing to put his life in danger to show you around.
Agree, safety is number ONE.

On the latter, no, he has NOTHING to gain looking for tenths. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about making sure that instructors help their students execute fundamental skills the BEST they can, which in turn ensures a safer learning environment for BOTH the instructor AND the student.

The common theme is the variability of the type and quality of information fed to students (and hewn to by instructors, mostly through oral history ) within events but more often between groups that run events, particularly DE.

We can ALL do better AND improve event safety if we control our expectations, maintain a calm and open demeanor and open our minds to using the great tools and resources we have available, BOTH human and technological, to do better. That's all.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:49 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I started in HPDE's in street cars and only moved on because my goals changed. There was lots of fun to be had playing with my street cars at the track with my buddies, but for me, I grew up a racer.. so once I had the time and resources (and after I did a Lemons race with some friends!) I knew I'd at least dip my feet into the racing side. Once I did, it felt like home.

For me it's not that you progress into racing from HPDE's, it's just a path that's available if you choose to take it. Apart from the physical act of driving a 4-wheeled vehicle while wearing a helmet, they're completely different disciplines in my opinion. The goals, mindsets, priorities and preparation are very different -- at least that's how I approach it.

I've still done occasional HPDE days in a street car with friends at the local tracks, but I just don't find it as fun as flogging a pure race car (mostly due to safety equipment).

-mike
Old 06-28-2016, 12:52 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Actually this may be heresy to some...but when I am in-car coaching (or instructing as a volunteer) my #1 priority is MY safety. Which pretty much assures the driver's safety as well...
Heresy? Sounds like it's the right attitude to have. If you ever see me instructing one of my students and we are hauling *** it isn't because I want my student to get that last 10th, it is because I am comfortable.

My two favorite opening lines to a new student:

"Don't try to impress me, you can't. Don't try to scare me, I already am."

The second works really well for checkout rides:

"There are only two things you can do to impress me. They are both bad."

In the end I'm not sure what is more fun, driving myself or taking somebody shy or challenging and getting them safely to the pointy end of the run group all the while with them sporting that permagrin.

-Mike
Old 06-28-2016, 01:39 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong but there seems to be a lot of comments that seem to dissuade the OP from expressing his racing goals in a DE. I for one don't think it's inappropriate as long as he/she is not attempting to race during the DE. After all the club racing criteria specifies some number of DE days before you can be considered for club race. DE is where you get your club race check out ride. DE is a feeder. I certainly used it that way.

Assuming all the caveats about safety for both the instructor, the driver and everyone else on track as have been mentioned I think it's OK to have the racing discussion if that is the student's goal. For example, something I see a lot in DE groups at every level at Summit Point is people only tracking out to mid track coming out of the chute into T5. If my student is exhibiting a degree of car control that gives me confidence and has expressed his interest in going club racing I would have the discussion about what happens in the brake zone for T5 in a racing scenario and maybe push him/her a bit there. In other words if you leave that gap you will lose your position in the blink of an eye. Many DE'rs aren't carrying enough speed to track all the way out but a guy looking to race can file that little tidbit away for the future.

Another good example might be South Bend at VIR. In a DE no one is passing you there. In a race it's a place to be on your toes big time.

Both those little bits of info can also help the aspiring racer become more track aware as in a DE he/she doesn't really have to worry about faster traffic or class position battles coming out of the last "S" It goes to the "eyes in the back of your head" aspect of racing that is critically important.

Make no mistake, it is DE not race practice. But information can be passed along to someone who has goals that go beyond the DE.

Last edited by Streak; 06-28-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Streak
Maybe I'm wrong but there seems to be a lot of comments that seem to dissuade the OP from expressing his racing goals in a DE. I for one don't think it's inappropriate as long as he/she is not attempting to race during the DE. After all the club racing criteria specifies some number of DE days before you can be considered for club race. DE is where you get your club race check out ride. DE is a feeder.

Make no mistake, it is DE not race practice. But information can be passed along to someone who has goals that go beyond the DE.
I agree with all of this.

I also spend a LOT of time with DE students who talk about how their instructors confide in them, at some point during the weekend, "the racing line." Sheesh...
Old 06-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I agree with all of this.

I also spend a LOT of time with DE students who talk about how their instructors confide in them, at some point during the weekend, "the racing line." Sheesh...
I've heard it too. In the case above I can see how a student would say "my instructor showed me the racing line in the chute" but that's not quite true. What I'm showing you is where you'll end up when you carry enough speed thru the chute. Same for South Bend. I've seen cars come out of the top S and hug the right side of the track to enter South Bend which is an impossible line if you've come up the Esses like your on fire. So it's not really the "racing" line it's more about the progression of speed and where you'll end up. That make more sense?
Old 06-28-2016, 03:17 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

The racing line is wherever to have to put the car to get through traffic. I've had a couple of students who really didn't have a clue how to compensate if they have to go off the line that they have been taught they have to keep to. For newbies I teach a somewhat safer (later apex) line then I might take but there isn't a whole lot of difference. I also encourage them to go offline once in a while so that they understand how and why they have to change inputs due to different lines.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:20 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Originally Posted by docwyte
As an instructor I have two main goals for my students:

#1 Be safe. I want them to not injure themselves, myself other drivers or their car

#2 Have FUN! This is supposed to be fun and that's important to remember

Based on their level of comfort and driving as long as the two main objectives are still kept in mind I'll start trying to correct their lines, braking etc to get them smoother. They'll gain speed naturally because of that.

I'm not a race coach and won't be analyzing data with them looking for tenths of seconds. That's not my job or my goal...
Good on the former (we all do that), but I think you're falling foul of the "analyzing data" part of it.

I'm not a "race coach." I'm a "driver performance analyst." That's my job. I'm not looking for a lap time improvement, I'm looking for better quality execution of fundamental skills, JUST LIKE YOU ARE. As you say, the times come after that and as a byproduct.

Like you, I evaluate the performance of my student/client, then guide in the direction I feel that #1) respects their desired risk exposure (generally nil) and #2) will net them the highest quality (and global) improvement for the next session.

Instructors should be open to using tools like data (in my case, primarily "intelligent video") to review with their student what happened in the car and allow education of and elucidation to the student/client AWAY from the distractions present when driving the car. Stark, objective and non-judgmental measures, captured by simple and readily available tools, help the process for many.

Is it good for all? Heck, no. But after the first TWENTY YEARS of being STUCK in DE instruction progress, I have lived through a groundswell of students and instructors in the last decade looking for (and now capable of) a FAR more objective, less subjective evaluation and review of driver performance. That's what we should ALL strive for...

Agree, safety is number ONE.

On the latter, no, he has NOTHING to gain looking for tenths. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about making sure that instructors help their students execute fundamental skills the BEST they can, which in turn ensures a safer learning environment for BOTH the instructor AND the student.

The common theme is the variability of the type and quality of information fed to students (and hewn to by instructors, mostly through oral history ) within events but more often between groups that run events, particularly DE.

We can ALL do better AND improve event safety if we control our expectations, maintain a calm and open demeanor and open our minds to using the great tools and resources we have available, BOTH human and technological, to do better. That's all.
I'm agreeing with docwyte here. A lot of times I instruct I have 2 students and run sessions myself. That doesn't leave a lot of time to download video (if student has it - I don't move my equipment from car to car) and review the session with a student before I have to get to my next student or my session (unlike TX most places don't give instructors free time in this neck of the woods). Having only 1 student may make it possible if its equipment I'm familiar with. If we are going to that extend I believe the student needs to hire someone to get undivided attention which also requires more familiarity with the track you're on in those cases where its not your home track.

$0.02

Originally Posted by TXE36
My two favorite opening lines to a new student:

"Don't try to impress me, you can't. Don't try to scare me, I already am."

The second works really well for checkout rides:

"There are only two things you can do to impress me. They are both bad."
With your approval I will use those.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:25 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Racing is to DE's as DE's are to Autocrossing.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:31 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Maybe I'm wrong but there seems to be a lot of comments that seem to dissuade the OP from expressing his racing goals in a DE. I for one don't think it's inappropriate as long as he/she is not attempting to race during the DE. After all the club racing criteria specifies some number of DE days before you can be considered for club race. DE is where you get your club race check out ride. DE is a feeder. I certainly used it that way.

Assuming all the caveats about safety for both the instructor, the driver and everyone else on track as have been mentioned I think it's OK to have the racing discussion if that is the student's goal. For example, something I see a lot in DE groups at every level at Summit Point is people only tracking out to mid track coming out of the chute into T5. If my student is exhibiting a degree of car control that gives me confidence and has expressed his interest in going club racing I would have the discussion about what happens in the brake zone for T5 in a racing scenario and maybe push him/her a bit there. In other words if you leave that gap you will lose your position in the blink of an eye. Many DE'rs aren't carrying enough speed to track all the way out but a guy looking to race can file that little tidbit away for the future.

Another good example might be South Bend at VIR. In a DE no one is passing you there. In a race it's a place to be on your toes big time.

Both those little bits of info can also help the aspiring racer become more track aware as in a DE he/she doesn't really have to worry about faster traffic or class position battles coming out of the last "S" It goes to the "eyes in the back of your head" aspect of racing that is critically important.

100% agree with this. My goal from the start was to go racing as soon as I was ready and I used DE as my "feeder" as well.

Somehow wanting to go racing is treated like a sin by many DE organizations. CVR was supportive and even gave me instructors who had racing experience to do ride alongs once I was in white and deemed "ready".

DE at lower run groups teaches you car control. Later it teaches you advanced techniques like heel toe, etc. At the top of the food chain there is advanced passing and you learn how to drive in close proximity to other cars. You also learn who you can trust and who you can't trust. All of these things are useful once you go racing.

It is a shame that it doesn't happen but I think racing should be discussed among the higher run group levels.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:57 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller

Unrelated, I'm not sure why the OP feels the need to post some blatant stir the pot post once a month. Maybe instead of saying I know this will stir the pot do some hard thinking in the privacy of your own chambers until the answer just simply cannot be determined.
That's easy

This is a forum on the internet where people come to learn, and also to be entertained. That may not be how all folks see it, but it's how I see it. I ask questions and make comments that are actually on my mind, and some folks may not like that or like what I have to say and thats ok. Nobody is making anyone read my comments or respond, but based on all the discussion that comes up I'd say it's a safe bet that the topics I am bringing up are of interest to many, and certainly I appreciate the flood of learning I get every time I read a new online discussion.

Very often I do have regrets in how I post things because it is clear that the intent I had did not come across right. This thread is another perfect example.

I mentioned I was faster than my instructor not trying to say I'm great because I am the first person that will tell you I am still a rank beginner and have tons to learn in simple basics. It was the only data point I had to show that this club was slower than other clubs with which I had experience, and also to point out that my instructor was a DE coach and not a "racing coach". Previously I had kinda assumed they were one and the same The other clubs I have driven with had always assigned coaches for me who were either currently racing or had prior racing experience.

What I think I have learned is to treat DEs as cheap seat/track time and simply enjoy the new friends I make and time I spend on track, but I will not expect that every DE instructor I get is going to be teaching me how to race. In fact now I will expect just the opposite. I expect my DE coach to teach me about car control and show me a safe line at a new track.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:58 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
The racing line is wherever to have to put the car to get through traffic. I've had a couple of students who really didn't have a clue how to compensate if they have to go off the line that they have been taught they have to keep to. For newbies I teach a somewhat safer (later apex) line then I might take but there isn't a whole lot of difference. I also encourage them to go offline once in a while so that they understand how and why they have to change inputs due to different lines.
One of the things I do with my students once they have started to get it and have demonstrated good judgement is when completing passes in short passing zones I have them intentionally stay off line at the next turn entry just to learn how to do it. I like this for two reasons:
  • It demonstrates the need to brake more to get the car to around a tighter radius.
  • It shows them the challenge of the tighter line so they are more aware if being passed and the car in front of them does this, there is a chance for a spin or mishap.

Being competent in driving off line is a skill that right at home in advanced DE, IMO. It's fun as well and allows for things such as Chin's open passing, where side by side passing in turns can occur.

-Mike

Quick Reply: DE versus racing. What is your experience?