Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hans/seat fittment

Old 06-24-2016, 04:13 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hans/seat fittment

The last piece of safety equipment I need to get is a Hans device.

One of the additions to my car is a new seat. I'm going with a Recaro Pro Racer Hans Spa seat. I have read numerous post on here about device/seat compatability but nothing definitive in terms of the info I'm looking for.

From what I have read, the best way to choose is to sit in the car with a number of different models and angles and see which one is the most comfortable/least obtrusive. So what do you do, buy a bunch of them from a
racer friendly store and then return all but the winner? It would also seem that merely sitting in the car with the device would not be sufficient to make a good decision. I would think it would be necessary to turn some
hot laps to get a more accurate appraisal, no?

The model I'm leaning toward is the Pro ultra Lite 20, but really I have no idea which one would be the best, thus the post.

Any sage advice on the best way to go about this selection would be appreciated.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 490 Posts

You need to ask yourself how important weight is for you. If you are not racing and are not looking to minimize car weight, then go with the Sport II or HANS III. In any case, I would go and try on the right size (L,MY) in a store.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:52 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

The weight of the Hans will make zero difference. Get the carbon fiber version if you want the cool factor. Otherwise, the standard weight models are more reasonably priced and will do the same exact job.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:29 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Schroth SHR Flex or Necksgen

A better option if you are concerned about angles is try the Schroth SHR Flex or Necksgen

The angle of the device is based on the angle of your chest sitting in the seat. You can have a driver in a Recaro seat with average build that would take a model 20. But if the driver is over 200 lb or barrel chested, they would need a model 30. Hans came out with an adjustable device but most drivers opt for the other alternatives.

Both the Schroth and necksgen units are not angle specific and are both lightweight. Plus, the head piece on both sit lower than the hans.

Perhaps go to a track event and walk through the paddock to see what others are using. You'll get hands on experience and honest feedback

The other plus with these devices is they will work with multiple scenarios. You are average build driving your Porsche but decide to do Skip Barber and drive their formula or spec racer, you'll need a model 30 hans. The other 2 devices will work with most seating positions.

Unfortunately, we cannot ship multiple devices for comparison but will gladly exchange a device for another.

Feel free to call us with specific questions.

Last edited by ApexPerformance; 06-25-2016 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-25-2016, 11:56 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

I just went down to my local shop on Friday, and bought my first HANS device. I tried every one they had and ended up buying the pricey lightweight model. To me there was a BIG difference in how they felt when I put them on. The low end models felt awkward but the high end felt like it wasn't even there. I imagine it is true that once one started driving the unit will "disappear" regardless, but I just though I'd add my 2 cents for what ever it's worth.

I tried a bunch and preferred the ultra lightweight model by far.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:23 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Comparing how different Hans Device models feel while standing around in a shop or sitting in some random seat really isn't useful. If anything, you want to see how they feel when you are strapped into your car in your normal seating position. That is what really matters. Regardless, I am sure you will be happy with your purchase!

Anecdote:

When I raced bikes, the leathers I had custom made were not comfortable when walking around especially when compared to the cheaper of the shelf leathers I had before. Why? Because the custom leathers were designed to comfortable when I was in my normal seating position on my race bike. The custom leathers reduced fatigue and increased comfort while racing.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:34 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info, looks like with everything else, this will be a bit more complicated than I thought.

From what I can gather reading the fitment charts, I would be a candidate for a model 30 in size medium (under 200 lbs but barrel chested). That eliminates all but two Hans models, Pro Ultra-Lite and Pro 30.

A better option if you are concerned about angles is try the Schroth SHR Flex or Necksgen
I like the Schroth device, it might be just the ticket. I like the smaller size and articulation and it looks like it will work well with the halo seats. I'm also happy to see the
helmet anchor plates are similar in size to the Hans since the paint job on my helmet incorporates the Hans post mounts. The icing on the cake is the price.

Since I'm also replacing the belts in the car, I need to know if the Flex utilizes the hybrid belts. If not, I'll need to decide Hans or Schroth before placing the belt order.

Now all I have to do is try the two finalist out in the seat and see which one works best.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:46 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default SHR Flex with Hybrid belts

Should be no issue with Schroth Hybrid belts using the SHR Flex - it's designed to work with all of the Schroth competition belts and quickfit pro belts.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 06-27-2016, 01:09 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,198 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Comparing how different Hans Device models feel while standing around in a shop or sitting in some random seat really isn't useful. If anything, you want to see how they feel when you are strapped into your car in your normal seating position. That is what really matters. Regardless, I am sure you will be happy with your purchase!

Anecdote:

When I raced bikes, the leathers I had custom made were not comfortable when walking around especially when compared to the cheaper of the shelf leathers I had before. Why? Because the custom leathers were designed to comfortable when I was in my normal seating position on my race bike. The custom leathers reduced fatigue and increased comfort while racing.
+1

You have to drive at the track to really known for sure although trying it out in the shop is a good first step.

I don't get people who complain about the HANS being awkward. Once I am strapped in I have absolutely no idea it is there anymore. The ONLY issue you should have with a HANS is the inability to turn your head as much as you want to when backing your car up. Other than that it is seamless.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:44 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just started using a Schroth SHR Flex and it is pretty comfortable. I don't really notice it at all. I don't have a ton of experience with HANS devices but thus far I think it is comfortable. I'm hoping I don't have to test the effectiveness.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:52 AM
zadar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=dogger15;13402053
One of the additions to my car is a new seat. I'm going with a Recaro Pro Racer Hans Spa seat. [/QUOTE]
That is seat I have in my car, I wear Leatt neck brace.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hans/seat fittment