**** Wins Lemans! - Spoiler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 11:54 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
You should probably remove the spoiler from the title for those who haven't finished watching the race

Reminds me of 2010 when Peugeot had the pace and was in the lead before suffering engine failures on 3 cars. The last one failed while leading with 1hr 13 minutes left. Hugues de Chaunac was in tears then, just as he was today in the Toyota pit box. What a heartbreak. Being dropped from the results completely for not finishing a cool down lap just adds insult to injury. Hell of an effort though. I think Toyota shocked everyone with their pace and ability to get 1 more lap out of a tank of fuel.
Come on! Within hours of the race over, without a chance to finish watching it, you post the winner in the title?!

I'd like to still be able to poke around the forum during a race without having to worry someone will blow it. Is that too much to ask?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Epic race, watched live in the 20th hour as Ford overtook Ferrari to bring in another victory.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:58 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

Agghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2016, 12:00 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never laughed so hard at 05:58.

YES I am evil :shrug:
Old 06-19-2016, 12:19 PM
CAM14
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the spoiler is already out, I'll post this. I've checked multiple sources, looks like Toyota had a failure with around 3 minutes to go.

http://www.lemans.org/en/News/porsch...-le-mans/41653

At three minutes to the end, the #5 Toyota was heading for victory and suddenly ground to a halt and had to watch the Porsche sail past. After several nail-biting moments it managed to limp across the line only to be disqualified for not completing the last lap within the 6-minute time limit. In the end, the #6 Toyota TS050 Hybrid and the #8 Audi R18 take second and third.

France wins the day in LM P2: Signatech Alpine’s Alpine A460-Nissan driven by Menezes, Lapierre and Richelmi take the trophy.

Ford’s 50th anniversary comeback was triumphant with Hand, Müller and Bourdais winning LM GTE Pro in the #68 Ford GT. Scuderia Corsa’s crew, Sweedler, Bell and Segal topped the LM GTE Am class.
Way to go Porsche and Ford.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:31 PM
kpmd2000
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

My 4 yo daughter and I caught the last 5 minutes. We were both excited with the finish. Her first Le Mans! The question that I have is why did the RSRs not finish better? No turbo?
Old 06-19-2016, 12:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by kpmd2000
The question that I have is why did the RSRs not finish better? No turbo?
Well, the Ford GTs were just too dominant in GTE Pro and Patrick Long was 3rd in the RSR in GTE Am. So good at least there.

All the Porsche's were awesome in the rain. But that only lasted about 90 minutes.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:44 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Go hug a Prius owner.
I would if they showered more.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:47 PM
kpmd2000
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
All the Porsche's were awesome in the rain. But that only lasted about 90 minutes.
And thats why I drive mine all year long!
Old 06-19-2016, 12:58 PM
uberspeed3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Toyota breaks down w 2 laps to go. Audi didn't have a podium finish for the first time since 99' due to turbo issues. Will a victory here for P sell more cars? Always been curious about the ROI on auto racing. .
For the American brands back in the day they used to say "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday."
Overall motor sports is also part of R&D, stress testing, etc. that trickles down to manufacturing. Then brand awareness is another factor but I would think it's tough to nail down ROI from a pure driving sales force perspective.

Last edited by uberspeed3; 06-19-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-19-2016, 01:25 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by uberspeed3
For the American brands back in the day they used to say "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday." Overall motor sports is also part of R&D, stress testing, etc. that trickles down to manufacturing. Then brand awareness is another factor but I would think it's tough to nail down ROI from a pure driving sales force perspective.
I would say brand awareness, from pro racing, has less impact as it use to. No data to back it up just my thoughts. Might be different. With the nascar crowd.

+1 on R and D.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:42 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Wow, 3 different manufacturers--spread the wealth!

Not too upset about learning the outcome....just, please, nobody post the outcome of the GP!! Please!

Gary
Old 06-19-2016, 01:43 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
They were talking about the GT3 spec 911s which are new this year. Also known as the GTD class in IMSA

Easy way to tell difference is the gt3 have fender vents
Yup. You're right. I don't have these all straight yet. Thanks for clarifying. The 2017 RSR is the one where they were trying to get an allowance to move the engine forward a bit which would essentially make it a MR layout. Do I at least have that right?
Old 06-19-2016, 02:06 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Come on! Within hours of the race over, without a chance to finish watching it, you post the winner in the title?!

I'd like to still be able to poke around the forum during a race without having to worry someone will blow it. Is that too much to ask?
I assume that's for the OP and not me..

Unfortunately spoilers are common these days. It has been discussed in the past and some people genuinely feel that their desire to express excitement over the outcome of a race overrides others desire to watch an unspoiled race. They just don't care. Doesn't make sense to me but that's the way it is. I assume anything I don't watch live will be spoiled now. The only way to avoid is to avoid the internet completely until you've seen the race. I'm glad I woke up at down and watched live it this time!
Old 06-19-2016, 02:08 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Unfortunately spoilers are common these days. It has been discussed in the past and some people genuinely feel that their desire to express excitement over the outcome of a race overrides others desire to watch an unspoiled race. They just don't care. Doesn't make sense to me but that's the way it is. I assume anything I don't watch live will be spoiled now. The only way to avoid is to avoid the internet completely until you've seen the race. I'm glad I woke up at down and watched live it this time!
Apparently the need to post a clever thread title outweighs everybody else's needs. You would think people would know better in the Racing forum.

Quick Reply: **** Wins Lemans! - Spoiler Thread