Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The US Trophy East and Trophy West Series mandated the Motec C125/AiM SmartyCam HD system for this year (for scrutineering/incident investigation purposes).
Joe Hullett and Chris Brown did an awesome job with those setups. It will be interesting to see what they implement around the world
Old 06-16-2016, 10:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Joe Hullett and Chris Brown did an awesome job with those setups. It will be interesting to see what they implement around the world
Yes, they've taken a little time to get sorted. They had to come up with the protocols themselves and have been continually refining them. Not quite turn-key and it's a shame a majority of the teams aren't using more of the information.

Still think Motec or AiM is preferable because of industry wide knowledge and installed historical databases for many teams/engineers. The move to Cosworth has, for the most part, been disappointing for those working with the 991 Cup, from the folks I've talked to and my experience at the track.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-16-2016, 11:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Agreed with regard to Cosworth, Peter...
Old 06-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, they've taken a little time to get sorted. They had to come up with the protocols themselves and have been continually refining them. Not quite turn-key and it's a shame a majority of the teams aren't using more of the information.

Still think Motec or AiM is preferable because of industry wide knowledge and installed historical databases for many teams/engineers. The move to Cosworth has, for the most part, been disappointing for those working with the 991 Cup, from the folks I've talked to and my experience at the track.
They have done a ton of work on it and spent lots of time on the CAN sniffer, all without help from Porsche. Those guys are on a whole different level when it comes to CAN profiles and MoTeC. It's a shame people aren't using the data they are getting.

I agree on the switch to Cosworth. The system is very good, but not having archival info for comparison and having to learn a new system is always tough.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:33 PM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have done a ton of work on it and spent lots of time on the CAN sniffer, all without help from Porsche. Those guys are on a whole different level when it comes to CAN profiles and MoTeC. It's a shame people aren't using the data they are getting.

I agree on the switch to Cosworth. The system is very good, but not having archival info for comparison and having to learn a new system is always tough.
Ideally I'd like it to be Motec and I am aware of the guys in the US working on those systems. I also have a guy in the UK working on a Motec solution depending on what Porsche offer.

I'd be interested to hear what info they're pulling from CAN?
Old 06-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TFBoxster
Ideally I'd like it to be Motec and I am aware of the guys in the US working on those systems. I also have a guy in the UK working on a Motec solution depending on what Porsche offer.

I would say shoot Joe a message. His website is www.digitalcompetitionsystems.com I know he has been working on this setup a lot, so if he doesn't have what you need, he might be able to work on including it.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:57 PM
TFBoxster
Instructor

I would say shoot Joe a message. His website is www.digitalcompetitionsystems.com I know he has been working on this setup a lot, so if he doesn't have what you need, he might be able to work on including it.
Thanks Matt, I will do.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TFBoxster

I work with these cars nearly every week. A combination of protocols, both CAN and OBDII fed. They include:

RPM
TPS
MAP
AIT
H2O Temp
Gear
Fuel level
Baro Pressure
Oil Pressure
Ambient air temp
Front brake pressure
Four Wheel Speed
Steering angle
A number of systems status and Comms diagnostics.

Much more is able to be made with these, as well as the logger itself.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:56 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Seen this posted before but makes no sense and is completely inconsistent with Porsche's goal of developing this class or their approach to club racing.
PMNA will be making an announcement soon about the upgrade kit but let's just say it will make the car even better as early indications have been very positive.

With these upgrades, they can run in the FIA GT4 Class all over the world, and in the US, in both PWC and IMSA Conti GS Class. The GT4 class is the fastest growing class world wide as the GT3 class is getting too pricey for most. A new 991 GT3R costs over $630K with the spares package!

We have Motec installed on all our 991 Cups and CS's and I wouldn't want anything else.....

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com

Last edited by James-GMG; 06-16-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:29 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, the MoTeC CDL is a perfect fit I would think. At $2400 with dash, loom, and SLM-C its a great price/performance trade off. All is needed is a nice custom loom add on for the CAN connection and a CS specific mount. Hint hint
Old 06-17-2016, 11:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kgorman
Yeah, the MoTeC CDL is a perfect fit I would think. At $2400 with dash, loom, and SLM-C its a great price/performance trade off. All is needed is a nice custom loom add on for the CAN connection and a CS specific mount. Hint hint
They selected the C125 so they could lock the CAN assignments on the config in the firmware (among other, bigger benefits over the older CDL3). The C125 for this application was only $2400 plus options. They sold a a loom for the OBDII and CAN connection specific to this car and a nice mount for the dash high on the center console for $40.

Why reinvent the wheel? Let Joe and Chris be in charge of the supply!
Old 06-17-2016, 01:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P Lewis
I don't know of a CS owner who is happy.

Do I get banished to Porsche hell now?

Chris
In the trophy East series, everybody appears to be enjoying them (apart from those who are faced with a retub).

Biggest complaint from some owners would be dampers, but that can be address for next season as the cars are doing fine given their lap times.

For me, it is the easiest factory race car to live with. Gas, oil, brakes and tires.
I can also run a D.E weekend without a crew for chits and giggles in the off season.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:52 PM
TFBoxster
Instructor

I work with these cars nearly every week. A combination of protocols, both CAN and OBDII fed. They include:

RPM
TPS
MAP
AIT
H2O Temp
Gear
Fuel level
Baro Pressure
Oil Pressure
Ambient air temp
Front brake pressure
Four Wheel Speed
Steering angle
A number of systems status and Comms diagnostics.

Much more is able to be made with these, as well as the logger itself.
Thanks Peter.

I'm glad to this -

Front brake pressure
Four Wheel Speed
Steering angle
Old 06-17-2016, 02:03 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
From what I know, there are no 2017 cars, once these first set of 2016 cars are sold, that's it, no more production.
From what i can gather, the 911 powered street Caymans (GT4) come out towards the end of the cayman body production. The GT4CS same thing. Hence only 44 spare tubs were able to be made before the production of 981 caymans ceased.

So for 2017 we have the new street caymans but no sign of a 911 powered cayman (yet). Perhaps at the end of the cycle of the 718 cayman they will offer again a GT4 street car, but will it be a normally aspirated motor or the 991.2 carrera S turbo motor?

The motor is the biggest question. Can porsche allow to have 3.8 X51 motors (for example) remain in production just for the 981 GT4 and maybe a small run of 981 GT4 clubsports? If not, can the 991.2 Carrrera S turbo motor fit in the 718 Cayman tub to make a 911 powered Cayman? and would it even work with a Clubsport build for motorsport given the heat of the turbos in the small compartment?

It will be interest to see what unfolds!
Old 06-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Our own Mr. Ichiban compares the GT4 and GT4 CS for Jalopnik. Kind of short on technicals -- no doubt not a "fault" but rather a nod to the intended audience.

Is it wrong that despite only having DE-level skill that I really want to drive a GT4 CS? Given the 10x cost of my prepped Miata, I think I'm going to have to look harder between the couch cushions (or go all in and sell my GT3, I guess!).

Quick Reply: Automobile Mag Drives GT4 Clubsport