Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you replace your trailer tires? How about the spare tire(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:21 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Erik
No hijack noticed; its all about the safetly.
15" but my rig is a fair amount heavier than yours, isn't it? I'm 6,500 lbs or so.
6500 with the car ? I dont know that you are that much heavier. I would figure I'm at least 5500. This is why though I'm asking because if I could do a 15" rim with a sturdier tire, I'd be crazy not to take that step.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:29 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
There's a great explanation on discount tire. Here's the link

http://m.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.do

And here's their take on ST tires

Why Use An "ST" Tire
"ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
"ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.
Then how come trailer tires have such a poor reputation? In reading through the Airstream Trailer forums their experience is similar to ours, only when they have blowouts, it tends to do a lot of damage to the trailer. It was there I found references to using LT tires. Also, if ST tires are so good why are they speed limited so slow?

I went with P-Metric LT tires for my open trailer. Considering the tires maxed out at 90% load, I've still only loaded them to 50% of that number and I've got more confidence in Michelin than some Chinese made trailer tire. Wagon wheels didn't cost all that much and they fit the trailer fairly easily. One issue I did run into was the 1/4" increased deck height and 1/4" increased tire height (tires 1/2 in diameter larger) caused interference issues with the door and the bottom of the car. A pair of cedar boards took care of that.

The decision for enclosed trailer types is more complicated because it does appear to get the load rating in the size required to fit is much tougher in a 8000 lbs loaded trailer than a 4500 lbs loaded trailer.

I've had them on the trailer for a year and a half, they still look new. It tows nice and stable at 80 MPH and the trailer itself has very good stopping power, even in the wet.

-Mike

Last edited by TXE36; 05-30-2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: ST not LT
Old 05-30-2016, 08:51 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Primer on LT versus ST

Comparing street tires to ST tires. The only mention of LT tires was positive:
"Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.

Another
Again more industry BS. I do however like the lqast paragraph regarding ST vs LT:
"With that said, some RVers have experienced seemingly unexplained failures with ST tires on appropriately set-up trailers, especially off-brand tires imported from overseas and sold in this country at bargain prices. Some of those people solve their problems by switching to comparably sized LT tires with the same or higher maximum load ratings. This is one option to keep in mind in the event you’re experiencing ongoing trouble with ST tires."...
Old 05-30-2016, 10:17 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Linzman, thanks for the link, great info!

Recommended supplier for tire covers, anyone? Cheers,
Old 05-30-2016, 10:26 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I can say, as other have:

(a) replace every now and then [3-4 years seems to be what people recommend.]

(b) CHECK YOUR PRESSURES BEFORE EACH EVENT !!!

I demote my tires after they are old to become my spare tires. [but maybe this is pound wide, penny foolish]
Old 05-30-2016, 11:29 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

This is kind of like motor oil debates. All I can say is I've never had a trailer tire fail (I pay close attention to pressures, bearings and age) but I had three LT blowouts in less than 300 miles the one time I used them (they were brand new). Never had an ST fail on that trailer after I swapped them out.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:29 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
This is kind of like motor oil debates. All I can say is I've never had a trailer tire fail (I pay close attention to pressures, bearings and age) but I had three LT blowouts in less than 300 miles the one time I used them (they were brand new). Never had an ST fail on that trailer after I swapped them out.
John that's just too weird. What were the tires?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:17 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here in Florida we change our trailer tires after 2 years (we also put about 8000 miles a year on them). Also it is CHEAP insurance to go up a load level (E vs D rating). And yes for sure check the tire pressure and set properly.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:41 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
^^This^^

Pay attention to these pressure settings for the particular speed that you intend to travel...
From etrailer website
"Light truck tires (LT) are sometimes used in RV applications but generally not on utility trailers. Light truck tires are a type of passenger vehicle tire and as such they are not built with as thick of a sidewall as trailer tires. A thicker sidewall allows a trailer tire to handle more vertical load. I recommend going with ST trailer tires. The ST stands for special trailer.

A trailer tire can fail for several reasons. Overloading a tire can cause it to fail. You are towing a lot of weight and if the tires are not rated high enough that would be the issue. Other common problems with tires is heat build-up which is the number 1 enemy of a tire. Because trailer tires have a thicker sidewall they can build up more heat when under inflated. That is why trailer tires should always be inflated to the maximum psi as indicated on the tire."

During use, the flexing of the trailer tire releases compound lubricants that are beneficial to tire life. Less use, less releases of lubricants, short life of tire even though lots of tread remaing.

My experience indicates that premature failure can be prevented by
1. Ensure the cold tire pressure is at maximum every time the trailer is used. Under inflation means more sidewall flexing, thus more heated generated in the tire, yields tread delamination and sidewall blow outs. Limit trailer speed to maximum allowable speed rating. Depending on outdoor temperature, I could run tow vehicle 10 mph over the maximum trailer tire rating.
2. Upgrade to at least one higher trailer rating than specified by trailer manufacturer to prevent overload. Make sure to follow step 1 or overheating of the tire occurs.
3. When storing trailer for the winter, ensure the trailer tire are on concrete patio blocks to prevent contact with the ground and have tire pressure 10 psig maximum cold pressure to prevent flat spot (for locale where temperature drop below 30 F in winter.
4. Do not store race car in trailer over the winter unless you raise up the trailer so tires not in contact with storage area surface.
5. Replace trailer tires every 4 +/- years.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:10 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
Linzman, thanks for the link, great info!

Recommended supplier for tire covers, anyone? Cheers,
I use these found at Amazon to keep my trailer tires covered when I'm not using the trailer. The relentless Carolinas summer sun deteriorates tires quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/ADCO-3923-White-Double-Wheel/dp/B002Z5VIS6/ref=zg_bs_15706681_7 http://www.amazon.com/ADCO-3923-White-Double-Wheel/dp/B002Z5VIS6/ref=zg_bs_15706681_7

The single wheel covers are also inexpensive.

I also keep my trailer on small leveling stands during the winter months, suspending the tires off the concrete. I'm not sure this makes a huge difference but it's more cheap insurance...
Old 05-31-2016, 11:18 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Just ordered 5 Power King STR II E rated tires from my local dealer, who was able to get them easily from their supplier. Actually cheaper than the D-rated Goodyear Marathons. Would have happily paid more.
I will have 4 new tires on the trailer, a fresh spare, and then a less fresh extra spare just in case. Probably should have gotten that new as well.
I am religious about tire pressures but not about sun protection and winter storage. From now on I will be.
A note: been a while since I had a tire blow and it's not a huge deal when it happens in the right place and time, but would be less happy if it happened on say the NJ Thruway. I figure trailer problems are a when not an if, and prefer to do things right.
Thanks T&T Racing for the above and for everyone for their suggestions.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:25 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
John that's just too weird. What were the tires?

I think they were Wranglers. Its been a long time but I know they had raised white letters. Looked kinda cool, for a while.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:35 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Again, i ask, Why bias ply vs radials? the radial tires seem much more durable , but that is just the appearance .
My question is the same.... what makes the trailer tire so different?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:42 AM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

So if the tire says maximum cold pressure is 65psi, that's what you set it to? Sounds scary to me. Has anyone measured the pressure right after you're done towing? How much does it go up?
Old 05-31-2016, 12:26 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
So if the tire says maximum cold pressure is 65psi, that's what you set it to? Sounds scary to me. Has anyone measured the pressure right after you're done towing? How much does it go up?
If the spec says maximum cold pressure then it's reasonable to assume as part of that spec the nominal pressure rise once the tires warm up. The problem with hot pressure is you have no frame of reference upon which to judge.

The P-metric LT tires on my trailer are spec'ed at 50 PSI - this is where the max load is and where I set them before leaving on a trip.

-Mike

Quick Reply: How often do you replace your trailer tires? How about the spare tire(s)?