Sponsored by:

How to learn a new track quickly

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:17 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
Default How to learn a new track quickly

How do pros learn tracks so quickly? I always read in panorama that it takes a pro like 5 laps to "learn a new track"

This being my first season racing I've found I need at least two days with a few run sessions each to get somewhat close, and realistically it's not till the second time I've been to the track that I start to get it. Sleep on it think about it look at some data / listen to what others are doing is what helps but it takes time to soak in

Tips / tricks / just need more talent? What?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:19 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

1 thing I'm starting to notice is the technique of likening turns in new tracks to turns from tracks I already know. I imagine this plays into it to an extent.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:32 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

I learn new tracks quickly. I think all the autocrossing I did taught me how to learn the turn sequence. Once you know where the turns are and go, getting up on the tires is straight forward. If you know your car, it is talking to you the whole time and you should get on the limit pretty quickly.

It's the "local knowledge" that is harder to get. That's why I tried to identify a local KFG to talk with and follow around if I can. That when I learn things you can't figure out in a few sessions.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
1 thing I'm starting to notice is the technique of likening turns in new tracks to turns from tracks I already know. I imagine this plays into it to an extent.
Yes this is a huge thing. The more tracks you drive, the easier it becomes to learn new ones in a few laps. This first becomes apparent watching videos of new tracks.

In addition, we walk new tracks whenever humanly possible.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:40 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
I learn new tracks quickly. I think all the autocrossing I did taught me how to learn the turn sequence. Once you know where the turns are and go, getting up on the tires is straight forward. If you know your car, it is talking to you the whole time and you should get on the limit pretty quickly. It's the "local knowledge" that is harder to get. That's why I tried to identify a local KFG to talk with and follow around if I can. That when I learn things you can't figure out in a few sessions.
Right I'm talking about the latter. Getting to 97-98% of track record one can do in 2-3 sessions especially if you watch some track video before, I'm talking into the 99%+ Sacrificing a given corner, knowing that just off the berm is the juicy grip?

I imagine pros have some methodology of figuring this stuff out as I'm sure the local competitor isn't handing out free time saving samples I'm asking what are the techniques for getting the final .5 - 1 second of time quickly
Old 05-26-2016, 07:43 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
In addition, we walk new tracks whenever humanly possible.
IIRC I was driven in a golf cart around MSR 3.1 because I was way too lazy to walk that far.
Another time I remember 4 of us piling into an F250 who then putt putted us around the track.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:43 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes this is a huge thing. The more tracks you drive, the easier it becomes to learn new ones in a few laps. This first becomes apparent watching videos of new tracks. In addition, we walk new tracks whenever humanly possible.
I've seen folks biking / walking - I think I'll add this in thanks
Old 05-26-2016, 07:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I've seen folks biking / walking - I think I'll add this in thanks
It's vastly important to find those tenths IMO
Old 05-26-2016, 07:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Delete
Old 05-26-2016, 07:51 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

If the track is in iracing, you can hammer out hundreds of laps before ever showing up. I can't imagine a pro would show up to a track totally green to it. They'll have watched video or run it in a sim to get a feel for the braking points and shapes of the corners. Also real time feedback about sector times makes a huge difference in refining lines and visual cues. With those two tools, you could show up at a track with a game plan and then refine your driving over a few hot laps.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:09 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, i watch tons of videos on youtube and I try to upload a lot of my own footage with data so people could learn from them too.

I started racing last year and this year is a 2nd time to all us tracks.

I must say that after a few laps, i know the track well and just need to push harder and harder to save time. Im young, so it might be easier for me to assimilate than other.

Which track are you going racing?
Old 05-26-2016, 08:45 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

I find track walks to be most beneficial AFTER I have driven the track AND if someone is along that knows the track well and is able to articulate what he knows.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:40 PM
Burkey
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
If the track is in iracing, you can hammer out hundreds of laps before ever showing up. I can't imagine a pro would show up to a track totally green to it. They'll have watched video or run it in a sim to get a feel for the braking points and shapes of the corners. Also real time feedback about sector times makes a huge difference in refining lines and visual cues. With those two tools, you could show up at a track with a game plan and then refine your driving over a few hot laps.
Iracing helps me a lot, it works really well for orientation obviously, you can come pretty close to figuring out the right turn in point and apex. The only real missing piece is where is the grip, would not want to go to a new track without it.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

There are strong visual clues as to where the grip is that are evident on a careful track walk as well. Things like heavy rubber smudges in curbs, etc
Old 05-26-2016, 10:20 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Holiday Inn express.........with wifi and videos

Quick Reply: How to learn a new track quickly