Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any I reason I can't switch my left brake caliper to my right side?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Completed the rebuild, still have the problem
Old 07-13-2016, 10:15 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Anyone know of a system/sensors that a race shop might have to measure clamping force at each caliper upon brake application? My only other thought for troubleshooting is to somehow do that to see if one caliper is not putting out the force of the other. Or to see if there is a line blockage somewhere.

When I installed my 996 brakes, my shop essentially "cleaned out" the stock 87 Carrera brake bias switch that limited brake pressure to the rears (because the 996 setup did not need this). I thought perhaps they somehow messed that up, but that should only effect fore and aft, not left and right.

I'm quite annoyed - appreciate any help you smart folks could give me. May just turn it over to Wright Motorsports (a good race shop) in my area. Have a call into them now. At least my calipers are freshly rebuilt.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:34 AM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What pads and tires are you running? Is it possible that you have too much front brake for that car?
Old 07-14-2016, 10:07 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
Anyone know of a system/sensors that a race shop might have to measure clamping force at each caliper upon brake application? My only other thought for troubleshooting is to somehow do that to see if one caliper is not putting out the force of the other. Or to see if there is a line blockage somewhere.

When I installed my 996 brakes, my shop essentially "cleaned out" the stock 87 Carrera brake bias switch that limited brake pressure to the rears (because the 996 setup did not need this). I thought perhaps they somehow messed that up, but that should only effect fore and aft, not left and right.

I'm quite annoyed - appreciate any help you smart folks could give me. May just turn it over to Wright Motorsports (a good race shop) in my area. Have a call into them now. At least my calipers are freshly rebuilt.
Wright's a great shop. Here's a diagnostics article:http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/adva...gnostic-tools/

The tools exist to stick in the caliper and measure clamping force, both front to rear and side to side (usually done in pairs).

Also, don't be so sure that the proportioning valve is JUST front to back. Many brake systems from that era function diagonally for split circuit failure protection.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-14-2016, 10:19 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not familiar with 996 callipers, are the pistons the same? My 993tt has different size pistons to keep even wear on the pad, so flipping them would not work.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:27 AM
jj1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry if this is obvious but I didn't see it in your trouble shooting post, have you switched the front wheels side to side? Maybe the new calipers shifted the bias forward substantially and its exacerbating the grip difference between the front tires.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:50 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Again the lock-up issue is between left and right, so pads between the back and forth is not a factor in my view.

I've tried different wheels and tires, so that is not the issue.

Prococah - thanks. I'll check out that thread. I really think the proportioning valve may be the problem, as again my mechanic said he would essentially remove the internals that limited brake pressure to the rear and leave the body intact. If there was a second circuit or if he didn't evenly clear them that could be the problem. I am also encouraged by the fact that a tool exists to measure brake force. More to follow.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:53 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
Again the lock-up issue is between left and right, so pads between the back and forth is not a factor in my view.

I've tried different wheels and tires, so that is not the issue.

Prococah - thanks. I'll check out that thread. I really think the proportioning valve may be the problem, as again my mechanic said he would essentially remove the internals that limited brake pressure to the rear and leave the body intact. If there was a second circuit or if he didn't evenly clear them that could be the problem. I am also encouraged by the fact that a tool exists to measure brake force. More to follow.
Check the corner balance... Also, if you have adjustable sway bars you may have too much pre-load on one side causing lock up.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:56 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Porsche uses the proportioning valve on the rear circuit only.
It is very simple to remove the guts of the proportioning valve and reinstall it.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:59 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Good proportioning valve internals thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...look-like.html
Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Sorry, didn't read enough... So you're corner balanced.
I had this problem before with a front sway bar with adjustable end links. Make sure there is no pre-load on a flat surface.

Last edited by flatsics; 07-14-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:15 AM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

So I had the car corner balanced before, and eliminated that as a cause. But now that I look back at the numbers, could this be it?

With 185 lb driver weight:

LF 625
RF 554
LR 922
RR 849

That's 70 lbs less on the front right than the front left. Could that be the cause? I think the tech said they couldn't do much more to balance it. What are my options? Or is this amount of left to right variation normal? I've had a person in the right seat and still have the problem, which is another reason why I ruled this out...
Old 07-16-2016, 11:37 AM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to put those numbers into a cross weight calculator to see the real picture.

https://robrobinette.com/corner_weight_calc.htm

You're at 50% cross.
40%-60% front to rear
52%-48% left to right

Last edited by car_slave; 07-16-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:11 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

BTW this is the tool I was looking for:

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...FdRZhgodlcwLlA

Glad to see it exists! Now I need to find a shop that has one, so I can rule out the brake system.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Ok so then that probably isn't the problem?

Quick Reply: Any I reason I can't switch my left brake caliper to my right side?