Sponsored by:

Review of my first ever DE

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:51 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats, it is a VERY slippery slope and highly addicting

At least in the San Diego region, you can always request an instructor regardless of your run group or skill level. Once you get to know the guys and gals at the track events, it's pretty easy to get someone to ride with you as a coach. You can also get a ride in someone else's car. Often it's a E-Ticket ride !

It doesn't matter how much experience you have, you can always benefit by having an instructor/coach.

I am fairly new to tracking my car, just over a year and am signed off for solo and I ask for an instructor at least for the first session or 2, especially if it is a track I have not driven.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:37 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I find I just can't reach the gas while braking. If I move my foot any further over, I'm afraid I won't have enough control left of the brake.
For my street car (GTI) I purchased an extension plate that I mounted onto the gas pedal that gives an extra inch of pedal.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:20 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
You should read this to get a true understanding of how it works...

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-to-black.html
That link was broken.

timeline-from-green-to-black.
Here it is again.
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-to-black.html
Old 05-27-2016, 10:24 AM
sugarwood
Pro

I've always rev-matched while downshifting normally. I can do that just fine. It's doing it while braking that's an issue. I've been trying it on the street but I find I just can't reach the gas while braking. If I move my foot any further over, I'm afraid I won't have enough control left of the brake. It feels as though I need to be braking harder (like on the track) in order for the gas pedal to be closer to make it work.
I could have written that verbatim! End of a straight going from 4th to 3rd, I am braking much harder than I ever do on the streets.
It feels like all my attention is on just mashing the brake and not blowing the turn that rev matching is the last thing on my mind.
This probably has to be a learned and practiced behavior. I was thinking of practicing this on an empty street.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:27 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
I was thinking of practicing this on an empty street.
Yes, definitely do this.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I could have written that verbatim! End of a straight going from 4th to 3rd, I am braking much harder than you ever do on the streets. It feels like all my attention is on just mashing the brake and not blowing the turn that rev matching is the last thing on my mind. This probably has to be a learned and practiced behavior. I was thinking of practicing this on an empty street.
4:30 am on the interstate 30 min every day for a month will take care of this.

Also, consider installing a heel toe pedal to attach on top of your gas pedal makes things a lot easier
Old 05-28-2016, 09:50 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Here's my video of the last Green session on Sunday afternoon.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:10 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

SWEET

If you drove a little slower there would have been more of my car in the video

Nice driving

Here's my video of the last Green session on Sunday afternoon.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:13 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
SWEET

If you drove a little slower there would have been more of my car in the video

Nice driving
Thanks.

I'm not kidding when I say I think I was the fastest in the Green group. And I'm not being modest when I say that's not really a good thing.

I think my most fun run was the one I didn't get video of. The last session on Saturday in the rain. I spent a bunch of time toward the end chasing whoever was in the silver Corvette. He didn't seem so quick in the other sessions, but that driver could really hustle that thing around in the wet!!

I kept catching him and then we'd catch traffic and he'd get through and away and then I'd chase him down again. Over and over. It was great fun! And then the checkered came out.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:31 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Weasel, can you take a photo of where you mounted your GoPro?
Old 05-29-2016, 06:55 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Weasel, can you take a photo of where you mounted your GoPro?
It's not a GoPro. It's a Blackvue dashcam mounted behind the rear view mirror.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:34 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

It's not a GoPro. It's a Blackvue dashcam mounted behind the rear view mirror.
Nice video. If you ever plan on using video to get better, you'd be better served with something where you can see yourself in the image to see steering inputs, car angle, etc. Your car is quick, but don't be too anxious to move up yet, maybe yellow, but stay there a while. While it's fun to run with cars of similar speed, if you're reinforcing bad habits and focusing on speed instead of car placement and inputs, you're not going to get better very quickly. For example, you are still missing apexes by quite a bit, when you get quicker you will run out of track out room by doing that. By consistently doing it right now, you will start carrying more and more speed without trying too hard, and you won't be fighting the car while you're doing it. Keep it up, and have fun out there.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:31 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

I appreciate the feedback.

I've got no desire to move up quickly or anything. Next weekend I'll be at Mosport and I expect there will be quicker people there. Watkins Glen has people from all over at it so I doubt there were many people in the Green group who'd been there more than once before.

I'm having a ton of fun out there, and that's really the point, right?
Old 05-30-2016, 09:21 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Originally Posted by linzman

Your car is quick, but don't be too anxious to move up yet, maybe yellow, but stay there a while. While it's fun to run with cars of similar speed, if you're reinforcing bad habits and focusing on speed instead of car placement and inputs, you're not going to get better very quickly. For example, you are still missing apexes by quite a bit, when you get quicker you will run out of track out room by doing that. By consistently doing it right now, you will start carrying more and more speed without trying too hard, and you won't be fighting the car while you're doing it. Keep it up, and have fun out there.
This seems like great advice. Esp. for someone in a slow car. I noticed that when people were behind me, I'd get a little distracted and push a little out of my comfort zone, but not in a good way. So, I plan to stay in Green for the reasons listed above.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Well... nobody was quicker in Green... but I'm in Yellow now.

Quick Reply: Review of my first ever DE