Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of my first ever DE

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:54 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Every DE event I've done with PCA has been great. The one this weekend at The Glen was awesome as well. I actually like the fact that the concrete patches are gone, as it forces you to look up at permanent reference points. Matt Romanoski gave a great track walk and pointed out the "traffic lights" that I had seen before but never used as points to look for. The new surface has great grip and is very smooth, but there's a bump in turn one that I noticed more in the rain than I had in the first two sessions in the dry. Nothing too dramatic but it took me a while to figure it out.
Sal and I shared the same instructor and learned a great deal from him. Having two students is a lot of work and we appreciate the feedback we got from him, as well as a ride in his car! Always nice to see what the next level looks and feels like.
WGI is by far the best track to drive on. If you haven't driven there yet make sure it gets on your "must do" list. The entire event was well organized and we'd like to thank all the people who work behind the scenes to pull off such a great event. It seems we sometimes forget to thank those who go the extra mile so we can have a great learning experience.
Buzz
Old 05-24-2016, 03:07 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

It was a great weekend, Lou, Matt, Pete, Rico all did great jobs keeping the pieces glued together. Everyone was great...

Ray
Old 05-24-2016, 05:04 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Say good-bye to your significant other and kids if you have any and welcome down the path.

Glad you had a good instructor. Most instructors instruct because they are passionate about it and want to pass it along and give back. Accordingly, you rarely get a "bad" instructor.

Remember to resist the urge to progress quickly up the run group ladder so that you can drive solo. This is the cheapest instruction you are going to get so hold onto it as long as you can.

Good luck!
I am glad you made the point of progressing.

To be honest, I don't really understand how it works.

I see in my PCA event log, on the top right, there is a box labeled "sign off" then a yes or no.

Does this mean:

A) drive solo in current group

B) advance to next color group

Can you clarify.

Ty
Old 05-24-2016, 05:14 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I don't remember seeing a race Boxster out there. Was that in Green or Yellow?
There was a blue one with graphics.

My buddy said it sounded mean, like an angry boxster.

It did sound cool going done the front straight.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:14 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

From what I understand, you just keep doing what you're doing and eventually someone tells you you're moving up.

That said... don't make it a goal. You'll never find cheaper instructors. Enjoy it while they let you!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:15 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
There was a blue one with graphics.

My buddy said it sounded mean, like an angry boxster.

It did sound cool going done the front straight.
In Green group?

Jeez... I'm so oblivious to what's going on out there.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I wasnt clear guys, sorry
I was running at mont tremblant with rennsport

Just wanted to share my exp as my 1st instructor days
Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Welcome to the addiction. PCA is a fantastic organization.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:20 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Deleted, I miss-read a post and provided helpful info to a non-existent question. Time for bed.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:47 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, unfortunately for your budget and time, it gets better over time. It took good 6 DEs to start approaching the limit and hearing tires squeel in every turn, seeing how trail braking works, seeing how you rotate the car into the turn etc etc etc. You are basically learning to drive again. I did 3 DEs already this year with 5-6 to go - this is my second season. Also if you are thinking of doing more, I'd suggest reading first Speed Secrets book by Ross Bentley. It really helps to understand the basics and make learning on the track much more productive.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:52 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

I am glad you made the point of progressing.

To be honest, I don't really understand how it works.

I see in my PCA event log, on the top right, there is a box labeled "sign off" then a yes or no.

Does this mean:

A) drive solo in current group

B) advance to next color group

Can you clarify.

Ty
Every region does this a little bit differently. At the end of the day you have to show an instructor (and many times at least two separate instructors) that you are ready and safe to move up to the next run group.

Most regions will give you a list of skills that you must master to get to the next run group. They will want to see that you are smooth, safe and in control of your car. Being fast is not necessarily a measure of getting to the next run group.

A minimum number of days are generally required to move on to the next level but you should not assume that you get to the next level merely by driving that number of days. The instructors will probably only agree to do a check out ride when you have a minimum number of days and your current instructor signs you off in your log book. It is up to you at that point to do a good job on your ride along with a different instructor.

The reason I said hold back is because once you solo that is the end of free instruction unless you can get another instructor to ride along with you. Since they all pretty much have a student, and want to drive as well, it can be tough.

Next time you are at the track ask one of the instructors what skills you need to master in order to get to the next run group. Usually they are what your current instructor is trying to teach you.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:26 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Every region does this a little bit differently. At the end of the day you have to show an instructor (and many times at least two separate instructors) that you are ready and safe to move up to the next run group.

Most regions will give you a list of skills that you must master to get to the next run group. They will want to see that you are smooth, safe and in control of your car. Being fast is not necessarily a measure of getting to the next run group.

A minimum number of days are generally required to move on to the next level but you should not assume that you get to the next level merely by driving that number of days. The instructors will probably only agree to do a check out ride when you have a minimum number of days and your current instructor signs you off in your log book. It is up to you at that point to do a good job on your ride along with a different instructor.

The reason I said hold back is because once you solo that is the end of free instruction unless you can get another instructor to ride along with you. Since they all pretty much have a student, and want to drive as well, it can be tough.

Next time you are at the track ask one of the instructors what skills you need to master in order to get to the next run group. Usually they are what your current instructor is trying to teach you.

Hope that helps.
Thank you

I think I understand, but to make sure, is the green group the only group with an instructor?

I am not sure it would benefit a novice to move out of green, if that is the case.

When I was watching other color groups run, I am pretty sure I saw two people in a lot of the cars,

This is a steeper slippery slope than starting to do performance upgrades.

I am already trying to figure out how to get another event in this summer without my wife blowing a gasket !
Old 05-25-2016, 04:58 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Thank you

I think I understand, but to make sure, is the green group the only group with an instructor?

I am not sure it would benefit a novice to move out of green, if that is the case.

When I was watching other color groups run, I am pretty sure I saw two people in a lot of the cars,

This is a steeper slippery slope than starting to do performance upgrades.

I am already trying to figure out how to get another event in this summer without my wife blowing a gasket !
You should be able to have instruction in any group. Even as you progress and you are comfortable taking the car to the limit, having a second set of eyes in the car or outside the car watching you is helpful if your goal is to improve times.

Lastly, after doing a DE, doesn't it sound silly when folks on the forums say they need "performance" whatever because they drive "spiritedly' on the street?
Old 05-25-2016, 05:31 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

my region (Metro) has instructors for both green and yellow. They also encourage anyone who wants an instructor to ride with them in a higher run group to seek one out. They are very accommodating.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:44 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
my region (Metro) has instructors for both green and yellow. They also encourage anyone who wants an instructor to ride with them in a higher run group to seek one out. They are very accommodating.
Yes, this is what is common in PCA. Yellow sometimes includes yellow solo aka orange as well.

Absolutely you can get an instructor in any group. Just make sure to but them lunch if it costs them a session!

Quick Reply: Review of my first ever DE