Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

I agree they probably are trying to keep Max away from Ferrari. Would be ironic if he ends up there anyway.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:06 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Will Buxton wrote a great piece on his blog about the incident, well worth a read. And this was prior to the news of the seat/team swap.

I think this was a knee-jerk reaction. If he'd have hit a back marker, this would already be forgotten.
I don't think running into Vettel is the actual reason, rather it is just the convenient excuse for Marko to make the move he wants.

There is a certain logic to this: By the end of the year, RB will have a very clear picture of the relative abilities of DK, CS, DR and MV. More importantly, it will keep MV in the fold. I am assuming that these moves are all within the parameters of the contracts.

The risk is that it is too much for MV and it negatively impacts his development.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:52 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If I was a gambling man I would say that if Max and Ricciardo stay with RB for 3 years Ricciardo beats Max 60% of the time in quali and 85% in the races. Ricciardo needs some horsepower but with it I see him fighting for the championship.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:25 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Is Max so good that Ferrari wants him?
Old 05-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
One word. Marko...
Bingo.

Kvyat likely could have hit 95% of the other cars on the grid and still have his RB seat, but:
1- Can't hit your team car, even by accident, and especially not as a rookie on the first F'ing lap.
2- Can't repeatedly hit a German that Marko would like to have back some day.

Last edited by Eifeler; 05-06-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:37 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro911
If I was a gambling man I would say that if Max and Ricciardo stay with RB for 3 years Ricciardo beats Max 60% of the time in quali and 85% in the races. Ricciardo needs some horsepower but with it I see him fighting for the championship.
Agreed. Ricciardo is an incredible racer and is very aggressive when overtaking without taking himself or the other car out. I'm hoping that this engine upgrade they keep talking about coming for the Canadian GP is the real deal and he is able to take the fight not only for a podium but outright race win, but I know it'll still be track dependent like a street course, Hungaroring and Singapore.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:27 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I wouldn't count on it. Max is going to get the max (pun intended) out of this opportunity. Give him a race to acclimate to the new car, then look out.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:34 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Where are the Verstappen doubters now?

Do you still think the move was premature?

Victory came quicker than I would have guessed. That was awesome!
Old 05-16-2016, 05:26 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Where are the Verstappen doubters now?

Do you still think the move was premature?

Victory came quicker than I would have guessed. That was awesome!
Guessing this is directed at me. First, I never said the move shouldn't happen, just that I thought Ricciardo was the better driver and as I mentioned in the other thread, Max drove a flawless race. Genuinely, genuinely impressive. His maturity level very high.

That said, I also mentioned in that thread that when the pressure is not on you in the traditional sense of the phrase and you have both excellent equipment and a huge amount of talent, great things can happen. Look at Hamilton in 07. I would call his Chinese GP whale on the beach impression an implosion under added pressure compared to the beginning of the season. It took a few minor miracles for him to win in 08 after people started thinking of him as a championship contender and without the help of someone like Alonso to set up the car.

The second thing to consider is that Ricciardo was in a position to win that race had the team not botched the strategy. Max was beaten in qualifying and in the first parts of the race. Last, it's a single race. A phenomenal race, but one nonetheless. Some of the best major league batting averages are owned by guys who got a single major league at bat. Doesn't mean much in the long term. I stand by what I said but we'll see. No ill-will towards him, that's for sure, especially if he and Smiley take the fight to MB.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default I dont think the strategy was botched...

hindsight is 20/20

Ricardo as "fastest" driver was covering the fastest driver from Ferrari strategy wise. so when it was clear that Vettel was a 3 stopper that either confirmed or caused Ricardo to switch to a 3 stopper

also Pirelli had up front calculated that a 3 stopper was going to be faster...
Old 05-16-2016, 01:07 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro911
Guessing this is directed at me. First, I never said the move shouldn't happen, just that I thought Ricciardo was the better driver and as I mentioned in the other thread, Max drove a flawless race. Genuinely, genuinely impressive. His maturity level very high.

That said, I also mentioned in that thread that when the pressure is not on you in the traditional sense of the phrase and you have both excellent equipment and a huge amount of talent, great things can happen. Look at Hamilton in 07. I would call his Chinese GP whale on the beach impression an implosion under added pressure compared to the beginning of the season. It took a few minor miracles for him to win in 08 after people started thinking of him as a championship contender and without the help of someone like Alonso to set up the car.

The second thing to consider is that Ricciardo was in a position to win that race had the team not botched the strategy. Max was beaten in qualifying and in the first parts of the race. Last, it's a single race. A phenomenal race, but one nonetheless. Some of the best major league batting averages are owned by guys who got a single major league at bat. Doesn't mean much in the long term. I stand by what I said but we'll see. No ill-will towards him, that's for sure, especially if he and Smiley take the fight to MB.
Agreed. Great race by Max, but A LOT of things had to go right for him to win and they did not the least of which was a double Mercedes DNF and RBR cocking up the strategy on Ricciardo and Ric's puncture... As good as Max drove, his luck was even more impressive -- again, taking nothing away from the 18 year olds
Old 05-16-2016, 01:11 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

Sure He caught some breaks. That's part of racing. To his credit, he didn't put a wheel wrong while under pressure from Raikonen for 20+laps. Heck of a drive.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:35 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Purely business. Max had the option on this contract coming up. It was sign him or lose him.
DK was really not getting along with his side of the team. So it was the perfect timing.

But mega points to DK for laughing in Vettel's face while getting yelled at and then spraying Champagne in his face.
I don't think DK has much respect for SB after getting beaten by Ricciardo so badly.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:08 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I think first babies play a role in the quality of the season that F1 drivers have. Nico last year, Sebastian the year before, Grosjean the year before that. Once Max knocks up some groupie, then we'll see how bad he gets smoked by Ricciardo... or vice versa I suppose.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:10 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Sure He caught some breaks. That's part of racing. To his credit, he didn't put a wheel wrong while under pressure from Raikonen for 20+laps. Heck of a drive.
^this. Showed something right there.

Quick Reply: Max to Red Bull, Kvyat to TR