Sponsored by:

I finally learned what momentum driving is

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 03:35 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Boy, I hear you there, what with my 121hp Mini......can't tell you how many times I've had people come up to me and tell me my brake lights don't work!!
I have been Black Flagged 3 times for this.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:36 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

944s - In a session that permits, try driving entire laps in highest gear.

You learn real quick about keeping up momentum.

Lesson 2 - how to keep wide open throttle and steer with brakes...

T
Old 05-02-2016, 04:45 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
944s - In a session that permits, try driving entire laps in highest gear.

You learn real quick about keeping up momentum.
I like this. Will definitely try it

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Lesson 2 - how to keep wide open throttle and steer with brakes...

T
Can you elaborate a bit?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 05-02-2016, 07:12 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Great laps, it's always nice to pull a few seconds off the lap time over the course of a weekend. I've driven with Ray a few times - he's an excellent instructor and a great guy!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 PM
pyropete125
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I find myself in a similar situation. I have done two DE, both last year at LRP in my 924S, with two different instructors. I have only done lemons events [in a different 924s] before the DE's, only learning [or what I thought was learning] by following a faster car, and I don't mean a better driver, lol.

My first instructor was simply amazing. He honed in on all my bad learned habits; ie. shuffle steering, crabbing, no appreciation of 'the line', braking way too late, missing apexes, etc. By the end of the first DE I was doing 1:11's and one cylinder had only 75 psi...

I swapped out the motor for the next DE and my second instructor was just as excellent. Pointed out the same habits and worked the line mostly and a bit on toe/heal. With the car running well I was best 1:09.5ish He then took me for a drive in his prepped Cayman R [for a "slow" 58, lol] That ride was the eureka moment for me. "OHHHHH... that's what you mean by xxx or not xxx here"... Next run session I was 1:07.0! Too bad my fuel pump let go after and unfortunately finished the day early.

So I say, try to have one of your instructors drive you on track. It definitely worked for me. Hopefully now I have my car sorted out for the DE in two weeks, it sat for 5+ years and at some point was underwater, but it was super cheap lots of good parts on it and a great car to learn in.

For me I think at LRP I have the most trouble with the left hander turn in. Nothing for me visual to know exactly when to turn in. Hopefully more seat time will help me 'get it'. I am looking forward for my next instructor's insight and tips in a few weeks. I use the brakes at the end of the straight, before the left hander, just a tap before the turn in uphill and a tap at the end of the back straight before turn in, the downhill before the straight only if I am off line.

Good luck!
Pete
Old 05-03-2016, 08:51 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Boy, I hear you there, what with my 121hp Mini......can't tell you how many times I've had people come up to me and tell me my brake lights don't work!!
Originally Posted by rlm328
I have been Black Flagged 3 times for this.

Bob, I know I've approached you on the paddock after a session saying something to the effect "you're brake lights are out, I didn't see them in T1". I may even have it on video.

-Mike
Old 05-03-2016, 03:41 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1 on Mario's "brake lesson"

You put down some really nice consistent laps - good lines.

As to the "no brakes" lesson - you won't be able to do that once you go faster. Brakes and throttle are used to shift the weight of the car from front to rear as much (or more) as they are used to slow down or speed up.

You will obtain the greatest amount of smoothness (ie - speed) once you learn to keep your eyes moving further ahead instead of driving the nose of the car.

This is an awesome starting point! Well done.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:57 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

>>You put down some really nice consistent laps - good lines.

Thanks!

>>>As to the "no brakes" lesson - you won't be able to do that once you go faster. Brakes and throttle are used to shift the weight of the car from front to rear as much (or more) as they are used to slow down or speed up.

Thats why I was tapping at West Bend, I just wasn't getting that solid pitch forward that I needed to feel confident in initiating the turn by lifting. Probably because I was easing off the gas prematurely.

>>>You will obtain the greatest amount of smoothness (ie - speed) once you learn to keep your eyes moving further ahead instead of driving the nose of the car.

This is something I strive to do as much as possible, as it yields immediate noticeable benefit. Of course sometimes I slip into bumper gazing and have to remind myself to maintain far vision

>>>This is an awesome starting point! Well done.

Thanks again. I'll be at WGI on 6/1 and 6/2

Quick Reply: I finally learned what momentum driving is