Sponsored by:

Roll Call - NASA - Laguna Seca May 13-15

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:41 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Roll Call - NASA - Laguna Seca May 13-15

Who is planning to go and what group are you racing/running in?
Old 05-04-2016, 11:41 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be in this- with ~8 other ones

Attachment 1356491
Old 05-05-2016, 12:43 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Excellent, I am looking forward to seeing these run. I am moderately tempted to sign up for a test session in one. They seem to offer a lot of performance for the money.

I will be doing the DE in my 993. I'll be hanging out with the Rothsport guys.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:11 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 744 Likes on 381 Posts

I'll be there in Group D, which is the PRC race group, running my GTL car. The Rothsport guys are running in the same group and we will be in the same paddock area. Come by and visit. I would love to see your car too!
Old 05-05-2016, 01:27 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

We can get a multi-color 993 photo, I think Jeff is bringing his RSR down.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:39 AM
winders
Race Car

Cool! My car isn't really a 993...is just has 993 bodywork.

I didn't see Jeff signed up. But the list I have is a few days old. It would be great if he ran the RSR. That thing is fast and he is a great driver.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Cool! My car isn't really a 993...is just has 993 bodywork.

I didn't see Jeff signed up. But the list I have is a few days old. It would be great if he ran the RSR. That thing is fast and he is a great driver.
I was in his shop last week and he is going to try and make it down.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:56 AM
winders
Race Car

Jeff showed up on the list I saw today. It should be a fun weekend!!
Old 05-07-2016, 01:43 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Yes, I am looking forward to it.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:24 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
I'll be in this- with ~8 other ones
We had 2 of them at the Cresson race in March. Interesting for the money.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:36 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by surlynkid
We had 2 of them at the Cresson race in March. Interesting for the money.
Cup car performance, Miata maintenance. I ran a full race weekend on $58 in gas (91 octane).
Then came home and changed the oil and filter for $33....
The brake pads should last a year easy- I have over 300 track miles on them, they look new.
Toyo RR's $888 for a set that last awhile.
The body components come off so quickly, it is so easy to work on.

The only problem with the NP01 is the closing speeds, then getting stuck behind Mustangs or other faster "on the straight" cars. Other cars are not use to the corning we can do, and sometimes don't expect us to pass in some corners where we can. We can't out drag cars on the straights, since we are momentum and cornering cars. I'm still getting use to dealing with lapped traffic in it. You have to time it to pass them in the corner.

If the car had 35 more HP, it could win the 25HR of TH overall I believe. It's such a fun car to drive/race. It just sticks. I would love to try it on Hoosiers one day.

Just don't hit anything.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:39 PM
winders
Race Car

I had a fun weekend but had a engine failure on Sunday morning in warm up. It might be a broken piston. At least the case isn't ventilated!

I never really had a chance to put in fast laps. I made a mess of turn 6 in qualifying on Saturday and bent a steering arm sliding sideways across the apex berm. That was on the second hot lap in qualifying and the slow cold tire first hot lap was my qualifying time. I was 3.3 seconds a lap faster than the two cars in front of me in the race but I could never get by them. They had quite a bit more power and just enough handling that I never could get by them without making a move that was high risk. Laguna Seca is a very difficult track to pass cars that have more power and reasonable handling. I spent five laps trying to figure out how to get by. I slowed way down on the 6 lap let them get 5 seconds ahead. I caught back up in lap and half.

I did a 1:34.506 in the race and that was after working me and the tires hard and working my way through slower traffic. I was looking forward to Sunday as my goal was to keep Gamroth in sight for as long as I could. I know there is a low 1:33 in the car. Maybe even a bit better.....but I won't know until I get her fixed and get back out to Laguna Seca again. Maybe next year!

It was great meeting Tim (Texas RS). His car is beautiful and fast!

Those NP01 cars look like fun (not Cup Car performance) but they sure are fragile! A friend of mine bent the right front suspension rolling over the berm on the inside of turn 4. After the resulting spin, I don't think I have ever seen so much dirt in and on a race car that didn't roll.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:11 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott-
Sorry to hear about your engine-were you planning on the Sear's Point race June 18&19?
We're signed up for that- haven't been there since 2005. I think that Rothsport will be starting on my car this week.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:02 PM
winders
Race Car

Thanks.

Yes, I was going to be at Sears Point for that NASA-PRC race weekend. But I won't be racing that weekend now. I will probably come up on Saturday to watch the race and attend the BBQ.

Sears Point is the best track in the Western US. You will have a lot of fun!
Old 05-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders

Those NP01 cars look like fun (not Cup Car performance) but they sure are fragile! A friend of mine bent the right front suspension rolling over the berm on the inside of turn 4. After the resulting spin, I don't think I have ever seen so much dirt in and on a race car that didn't roll.
Sorry about your luck. That sucks.

You can't drive these cars like GT cars. He hit the Orange curb on the inside of the rumble strip. The upright cracked and failed taking the whole corner with it. Until they make us billet uprights, you can't hit those curbs hard. You are right about the dirt....lol it was alot! He fixed his car and kicked my butt. I had an ECU problem on Friday and Sat. Elan overnighted me a replacement which was great, just missed out on alot of practice

I have to ask- When are 1:33 and 1:34's by the fast NP01's not Cupcar performance? Not bad for 185HP. Not as fast as the 991 Cupcars who did a 1:29- 1:30's, but the 997 Cupcars were right there with the fast NP01 drivers. NP01's were faster than the GT4 CS's. Not bad considering this is the 2nd series race with limited development.

People forget that we are also running on Toyo DOT RR's and not slicks or Hoosiers A7/R7's. 1:23's at WS on it first time out- That is Cupcar Performance in alot of peoples books.

Quick Reply: Roll Call - NASA - Laguna Seca May 13-15