Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring brake failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 05:33 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't that his brakes you hear squeal as he enters turn 3, then maybe again just slightly before 5? So you're saying he had no opportunity to downshift even one gear to attempt to transmission brake any, at any point? Just asking to better understand.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Race brakes commonly squeal. it's normal
Old 03-28-2016, 05:46 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Turn 7 - the safety pin, doesn't have great traction to begin with - I've lost my brakes at this location before - luckily with a combination aggressive pumping and engine braking I was able to get the car under control on the service road - and turned right instead of left... to exit back on the track... He did well to get the car under control - that Camaro had some serious giddy up...

And just to confirm what VR said - I've seen someone first hand that's popped the clutch here, locked up the rears and spun into the wall totaling their car. This is my home track -
Old 03-28-2016, 05:48 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

One of the first conversations I have with EVERY student I get into the car with is what to do in case of the unexpected.

What we all should have been taught from very early on is "Both feet in and drive off straight"

Not saying in this situation he might have been better if he decided to downshift...just saying pro racer or not that's the reaction we HOPE to get when we are teaching people about these situations.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:44 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

"Race brakes commonly squeal. it's normal"
yeah I realized that once I thought maybe he was in a race car & not just any ole vette.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:06 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

He did a great job in a bad situation but I hope he decided against taking it over the bridge with no brakes.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
One of the first conversations I have with EVERY student I get into the car with is what to do in case of the unexpected.

What we all should have been taught from very early on is "Both feet in and drive off straight"

Not saying in this situation he might have been better if he decided to downshift...just saying pro racer or not that's the reaction we HOPE to get when we are teaching people about these situations.
that is NOT a good thing to teach for reacting to a brake failure. both feet in is when you have lost control of your vehicle and your best bet is to lock all 4 tires. this event, brake loss has nothing to do with that.

you lose your brakes, you should downshift as fast as possible, wth matching blips... it should be practiced by students to show the power of rear engine braking the massive braking effects of the "turn" with grippy tires. a plow into a turn is almost as effective as a lock up at slowing you down.

putting the car in neutral with the brakes gone is near the worst thing to do.
im here to tell you that he could have made that second right after turn 7 entry or came to a full stop before the gates.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MGW-Fla
Isn't that his brakes you hear squeal as he enters turn 3, then maybe again just slightly before 5? So you're saying he had no opportunity to downshift even one gear to attempt to transmission brake any, at any point? Just asking to better understand.
yes, the racing brake squeal is normal and he had all the time in the world to go down 2 gears and slow the car down more than most would guess. YOU never know until you try this. i make students do this at least one time a session if im helping a new racer. you wouldn't believe the looks on their faces when they see how fast a race car can stop without any brakes.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:57 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Incredible, isn't it? I sure hope folks reading here don't try some of the stuff he advocates...
so what, you want all brake failures to end up in the tire wall or busting through the access gate at a high speed turnn entrance near you?
give it up VR, you are wrong... dead wrong. teach something that migh save someones car or life here, ok? dont be such an ego maniac.. you are not right nere at all.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Umm, no.
"um no" what????? peter, quick throttle blip and downshifts are the safest way out of that situation in any case. try it first , then get back to me. you obviously dont have any experience here . so again, mocking what you dont understand.
you see , i already posted me having complete catastrophic brake failure at the beginnning of the braking zone of turn 2 at 130mph. i wonder how i made it around the turn?? maybe i shouild have put both feet in so i could have just coasted through the tire wall and out into the parking lots?
PLEEEZZZZZZ!
Old 03-28-2016, 09:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
No he really wouldn't have.

Go drive Sebring and then get back to us
its not a matter of Sebring or any other track.. its a matter of speed and distance matched with techique Dave... try it, you might learn something that helps someone in this kind of situation.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:10 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
that is NOT a good thing to teach for reacting to a brake failure. both feet in is when you have lost control of your vehicle and your best bet is to lock all 4 tires. this event, brake loss has nothing to do with that.

you lose your brakes, you should downshift as fast as possible, wth matching blips... it should be practiced by students to show the power of rear engine braking the massive braking effects of the "turn" with grippy tires. a plow into a turn is almost as effective as a lock up at slowing you down.

putting the car in neutral with the brakes gone is near the worst thing to do.
im here to tell you that he could have made that second right after turn 7 entry or came to a full stop before the gates.
You are assuming that all cars on track are manual with heel toe capability of the student or via electronics. What about automatics? A student under those conditions has enough to worry about, but yet you are advocating, expecting that student to behave like a seasoned pro so to speak
Old 03-28-2016, 09:57 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
You are assuming that all cars on track are manual with heel toe capability of the student or via electronics. What about automatics? A student under those conditions has enough to worry about, but yet you are advocating, expecting that student to behave like a seasoned pro so to speak
yes, with automatics, as with most all of them, they shift based on certain criteria.
But mostly with all manual cars with a clutch. you don't need to heal and toe when you lose your brakes.. you just blip and downshift. all races should be able to do this in an emergency. brake failure happens.
I just watched a video of a guy at Laguna with the same failure that I had but didn't make it. fortunately, there is lots of sand... however, for me, it was an easy turn to survive, why???? blip downshift. its a braking resource most people don't think about. Im not a big fan of push in the clutch and see where I land at 120mph!

wasn't the guy on the video a pro? Everyone was saying he was through and through.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

its not a matter of Sebring or any other track.. its a matter of speed and distance matched with techique Dave... try it, you might learn something that helps someone in this kind of situation.
Utter nonsense .

Go drive that part of Sebring before posting MISLEADING AND DANGEROUS opinions here that could get someone hurt there. Please.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Old 03-28-2016, 11:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

you obviously dont have any experience here . so again, mocking what you dont understand.
Mark, you don't know what experience I have, so STFU.

VR, don't wrestle with the pig...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Sebring brake failure