Neck Restraints New Schroth

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 06:38 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,244 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
My problem with any of the Hans devices is the part high back section that my helmet bumps into when I'm in my OMP halo seat. The Schroth doesn't stick up so there's no contact.
I have a HANS and use an OMP halo seat - not a problem for me and I am a "big guy". I have no real problem looking side to side as the tether slides. Is it less restrictive without a HANS? Just slightly but only if I am backing up in the paddock. On the track I don't feel any difference when wearing a HANS.

I looked at the Scroth device a few weeks ago and thought it looked "interesting" Weird that the side pieces which rest on your shoulders are rubber and flexible.

The HANS in proven technology. When I see professional race series drivers using it, and when there are some real world examples, perhaps I would see it as a viable alternative. Until then I don't want to be part of the experiment.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:44 PM
zadar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I've had HANS, Hybrid Pro, Isaac. Have been using the Neckgen Rev for the past year and love it. Superior comfort to anything else. Also some added degree of lateral protection. I'd recommend a Necksgen over a traditional HANS to anyone.

With that said, I am intrigued by the new Schroth as it also looks like it also offers some added measure of lateral protection lacking in a HANS. If Schroth wanted to send me one to test I'd do it and report back.
If you want to try Leatt let me know, I am in reno as well.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:48 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too bad NecksGen isn't FIA approved.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:49 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I have a HANS and use an OMP halo seat - not a problem for me and I am a "big guy". I have no real problem looking side to side as the tether slides. Is it less restrictive without a HANS? Just slightly but only if I am backing up in the paddock.
Which can be solved by simply loosening the belts so the HANS can move around.

The HANS in proven technology. When I see professional race series drivers using it, and when there are some real world examples, perhaps I would see it as a viable alternative. Until then I don't want to be part of the experiment.
I start to see more and more Hybrid users.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just remember that certain series require only a HANS. Nothing else is allowed.

There are also series that required carbs up until recently. There are also series that are fine with going 100+mph with trees along side the road and no walls like a road course.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:43 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 747 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Just remember that certain series require only a HANS. Nothing else is allowed.

There are also series that required carbs up until recently. There are also series that are fine with going 100+mph with trees along side the road and no walls like a road course.
But none of that means the Hans Device is flawed. It works and works well. I guarantee that Formula One would not still be using the device it were flawed.

Protection in a side impact is more about the rest of the safety equipment in your car than it is about the head and neck device you select. Such as seat choice and whether or not you have a center net.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:05 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
But none of that means the Hans Device is flawed. It works and works well. I guarantee that Formula One would not still be using the device it were flawed.

Protection in a side impact is more about the rest of the safety equipment in your car than it is about the head and neck device you select. Such as seat choice and whether or not you have a center net.
Formula one is such a unique safety system that mimicking pieces of it can be problematic. I'm not saying Hans is bad or good. Just that if you do things because the pros do you are cheating yourself.

Look at the big picture.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:29 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 747 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by winders

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Formula one is such a unique safety system that mimicking pieces of it can be problematic. I'm not saying Hans is bad or good. Just that if you do things because the pros do you are cheating yourself.

Look at the big picture.
I am looking at the big picture while you seemed to be focused on a single component of safety equipment.

The Hans Device does exactly what it is intended to do. If you want side impact protection, you need more than any one of the head and neck devices available. None of them provide enough side impact protection to make any one of them significantly better than another.

The seat, window net, and center net choices are far more important than which head and neck device is chosen.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:33 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear you but since I rely on Schroth seat belts and side nets to protect me I feel the risk in moving to new technology offered by Schroth is a risk I am willing to take.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:57 AM
PPo
Drifting

I still have my Isaac... in a case... in my garage... on a shelf... oh well.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:00 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

I am trying to decide between the Schroth SHR and the NecksGen REV. I have some concerns over the level of frontal protection offered by the REV vs. a more traditional device with a yoke. I have a halo seat but still would appreciate the additional side protection offered by the REV (as well as the comfort) assuming that it has equal frontal capabilities.

Can anyone weigh in? Or does anyone know of any positive outcomes while using the NecksGen REV?
Old 05-04-2016, 04:37 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I've had HANS, Hybrid Pro, Isaac. Have been using the Neckgen Rev for the past year and love it. Superior comfort to anything else. Also some added degree of lateral protection. I'd recommend a Necksgen over a traditional HANS to anyone.

With that said, I am intrigued by the new Schroth as it also looks like it also offers some added measure of lateral protection lacking in a HANS. If Schroth wanted to send me one to test I'd do it and report back.
I bought a Necksgen yesterday after trying on both it and the Schroth.
The Schroth has an even lower neck area that may be slightly less intrusive, but requires 2" belts.
The NG, with nothing over your chest felt like it will be very comfortable and accepts the 3" belts I already have.

After running factory non-sport seats and OE seat belt, I'll feel much better about things with safety gear, a back half cage, and some GT-3 seats.

Pacific is tree lined w/o tires in many areas, has a 160mph turn 1, then into a fast sweeper. It's easy to forget how fast you're going on the track and start getting used to some pretty ludicrous speeds that have lots of potential.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:45 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

My necksgen always seems like it's slipping back on me and I have to pull it forward. Anyone else have that problem?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a little hint.

We are getting screwed on H&N restraint prices here in the USA.

I order my stuff from Europe now. They won't ship HANS to the USA, but they will ship the other brands.

Take a look at the new Sparco Suits on that site.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...r-hans-devices

Quick Reply: Neck Restraints New Schroth