Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who wears racing suit for DE events

Old 02-16-2016, 06:45 AM
phrogpilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who wears racing suit for DE events

I do 20-25 DE track days a year, driving in advanced groups. I have installed a half cage, racing seats and 6-point harnesses in my 997.1 4S and can't imagine at this point being on the track without this essential safety equipment. How many of you use a race suit when driving in DE events. I don't own one, and wonder if, for safety reasons, I should invest in one. I have no intention of racing and am not interested in posing as a racer, Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2016, 06:58 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Who wears racing suit for DE events

I don't tend to see a lot of DE drivers wearing racing suits, but I don't think anyone would argue against wearing one. If you do go with a suit, you'll also want to invest in a cool shirt as the risk of heat exhaustion increases.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:24 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

One advantage to wearing one is that on those cool mornings they keep you warmer than trying to wear multiple layers.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:08 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Everyone has their own comfort level for safety. If some dickbag makes fun of you for wearing a suit at a DE you didn't want to be friends with them anyway.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

No doubt they offer additional safety. However, in my opinion, in a car with a half cage, that increment of safety is small given that it is generally easy to get out of the car in an emergency. If the car has a full cage, the amount of time it takes to exit increases, as does the need for a suit. That said, I rarely wear my suit when driving my race car at a de. I think I probably should, but most of the time it's pretty warm here in Texas and I choose less dehydration over added fire protection.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:37 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Been wearing a single layer suit for a long time, last year I upgraded to wearing Rogers' Traqgear stuff as an underlayer. His stuff is amazing! So, now I have a 2 layer suit set-up.......to each his own........ not too concerned about what "they" say....... it's my ***.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:39 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

For me its a habit, I put it on getting into the car and take it off when I get out.
I find when I drive without it I am not as focused on driving.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:43 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
For me its a habit, I put it on getting into the car and take it off when I get out.
I find when I drive without it I am not as focused on driving.
Stuff like this quickly becomes a habit if you just do it all the time in the beginning.

I have the same with helmets. I drive a closed cockpit car and always used a full face helmet. Tried an open helmet once, but it felt to me as if nothing was there to protect me so I only used it for like 10 minutes and switched back to a full face one.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:20 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

This question/topic came up once before here. I wear mine. Perhaps a hold over from my racing days. My comment the last time was......."Fire doesn't know if it's a race, a DE or a track day. Wear your drivers suit."

Don't worry about what others may think. It's your safety on the line. Also, if you think about it, for some (street) cars there is probably a greater chance of a fire in the event of an accident. Race prepared cars usually have fuel cells, braided lines, etc. Street cars do not.

Be safe and have fun.
The following users liked this post:
erliuic (09-10-2023)
Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

As far as being seen as a douche at a DE event, don't wear it at the drivers meeting or lunch.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:58 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I've been asked as instructor by students about wearing the suit where the student doesn't want to look like "that douche" at a DE in a racing suit. My response is simple, wear it. The whole douche in a racing suit thing has much more to do with the person's attitude than the mere wearing of the suit.

-Mike
Old 02-16-2016, 10:13 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

if you have it, wear it. I do. It's great on cold morning in early season- and in the heat of the summer- easy to hop out of it into a pair of shorts when you're in the paddock.

We had a DE event last summer- had 4 fires. The track was new, had lots and lots of hydraseed sprayed all over the place- combined with a drought it was a tinder box- just waiting for the heat of a rotor or exhaust to set it on fire. One guy spun his turbo-- the rotors set the hydraseed on fire-- burnt up the front of his car-- firefighters ripped the nose off his car (gee thanks) but fire was under the car, engulfed it flames- despite the fact the source of the fire was UNDER the car. A reminder that fire isn't limited to races.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:15 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

I disagree with some of the statements above about race suits not being needed at a DE. Granted I drive a racecar, so arguably risks are higher than for some other drivers, but when it comes to safety on the track, I prepare for the .001% situation. Since I own a race suit, I feel like I'd be lazy to not wear it at a DE event. Of course, in the "average" DE incident you wouldn't need it. And fortunately I've never seen or heard of someone burning in their car at a DE event. But what if I am the unlucky one to have the crazy accident that traps me in my car while it's on fire? I'll be happy I have my race suit on ...

Have you seen the video of the guy who had a fire start in his racecar while on track, and in the 10 or so seconds it takes him to stop the car and jump out, he suffers 3rd degree burns over a significant portion of his body?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:15 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
This question/topic came up once before here. I wear mine. Perhaps a hold over from my racing days. My comment the last time was......."Fire doesn't know if it's a race, a DE or a track day. Wear your drivers suit."

Don't worry about what others may think. It's your safety on the line. Also, if you think about it, for some (street) cars there is probably a greater chance of a fire in the event of an accident. Race prepared cars usually have fuel cells, braided lines, etc. Street cars do not.

Be safe and have fun.
^^This^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-16-2016, 10:37 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
As far as being seen as a douche at a DE event, don't wear it at the drivers meeting or lunch.
Unless its cold then I wear it everywhere......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who wears racing suit for DE events