Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who wears racing suit for DE events

Old 02-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey thanks for the thread. I used to be an "optional suit" guy. But I DO drive a spec racer and many points here are well taken.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:09 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I can certainly help with that. We make underwear that resembles the best athletic gear. We accomplished that by using natural, breathable fabrics. Nomex is great stuff, but it is a synthetic and doesn't breathe well. It's how TraqGear was birthed and actually RL'ers right here helped with the ideas that went into the products and I continue to reach out for ideas. To boil it all down, we built underwear that can do the job and perform like athletic wear..moisture wicking and antimicrobial. We found that most didn't wear FR under the suit not because they weren't safety conscious, but because it was so hot. So, we created a line that wasn't hot. I sweat like a bear, so I'm a great test dummy.

Also, SCCA SEDIV asked me to write an article on the subject and I recently posted on my blog. Has a lot of info regarding regular underwear and clothing vs. SFI cert FR underwear. Worth a read.
https://traqgear.com/blog/
Also I did a couple of dorky videos to explain the fabrics and demonstrate how light they are.

I don't "blow smoke" when I say rennlisters are a great bunch of people. They really are and many have given some fantastic ideas and feedback.
He speaks the truth. The Traqgear stuff is incredibly comfortable, breathes well, looks good, doesn't smell after a full day of driving, and is SFI rated. What's not to like. I don't do track days or races anymore without wearing this stuff.

As far as the race suit for DE DAYS, I too am guilty of not wearing it all the time, but it doesn't make much sense, especially when you're trying to win the DE or using it as a practice session for the next race
Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
He speaks the truth. The Traqgear stuff is incredibly comfortable, breathes well, looks good, doesn't smell after a full day of driving, and is SFI rated. What's not to like. I don't do track days or races anymore without wearing this stuff.

As far as the race suit for DE DAYS, I too am guilty of not wearing it all the time, but it doesn't make much sense, especially when you're trying to win the DE or using it as a practice session for the next race
All of last year I always wore a Traqgear shirt or Traqgear coolshirt every time I was on track. At Sebring this year I finally got to try out the long underwear to keep my "man bits" safe. Very comfortable

Looking forward to the balaclava this year?

Will socks and gloves be far behind? What about race suits?
Old 02-21-2016, 10:55 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally I wear it. They were invented to protect against fire. Fire in a car is always an accident. An accident is never predictable.

I used to competitively skydive. I never had an expensive automatic activation device (AAD) because they were expensive. We were jumping with the US Army team and a one of their AADs went off because he got focused on the formation and lost track of altitude. If he could forget, anyone could. I've used most reasonable safety equipment in any sport I participate in since.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:26 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I love my suit and I never drive on the track without it -- DE or race. Putting it on before each session/race is meditative and ceremonial, putting me in the right frame of mind. When I strap on, wearing my suit, gloves, shoes, and HANS, I'm "in" and the rest of the world disappears. .
spot on ... and I'd add especially the gloves which you need to help you do stuff in the worst case scenario
Old 02-21-2016, 12:00 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Now I want to know how competitive skydiving works.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:57 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Now I want to know how competitive skydiving works.
Last one to pull the cord that opens the parachute wins
Old 02-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Green_Hornet
Some club events require them. Ferrari for one example.
Probably a great idea for that club. :-)

Edit, I see I'm not the first to think of this joke. I need to be more disciplined in wearing my suit. Tracking at Sebring in the summer is tough, but seeing that Earnhardt Jr crash and fire has motivated me to either wear the suit or not track in the hotter months.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:01 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Oil on an exhaust is relatively unaffected by winter or summer temps
Old 02-21-2016, 10:15 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe it should required of, at the very least, solo drivers as well as instructors and recommended for novice and intermediate drivers.

No legitimate argument against wearing one.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:07 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
This question/topic came up once before here. I wear mine. Perhaps a hold over from my racing days. My comment the last time was......."Fire doesn't know if it's a race, a DE or a track day. Wear your drivers suit."

Don't worry about what others may think. It's your safety on the line. Also, if you think about it, for some (street) cars there is probably a greater chance of a fire in the event of an accident. Race prepared cars usually have fuel cells, braided lines, etc. Street cars do not.

Be safe and have fun.
I'm late to this thread but ^^^^this sums it up.

Ive been in a car on fire twice in my career. First in a DE with my suit safely in my truck. Now that is the epitome of stupid. The second in a race. I wear my suit every time i get in my car. I feel naked with out it. If you don't have a suit and drive DE's only buy one, or your and idiot, you bought a helmet RIGHT. After the first few track days all of my students are encouraged to buy and wear one.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:27 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
As far as being seen as a douche at a DE event, don't wear it at the drivers meeting or lunch.
Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Or at breakfast in the hotel the morning before the event

This applies even more so to wearing your helmet...and yes, even an open-faced helmet.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:09 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
All of last year I always wore a Traqgear shirt or Traqgear coolshirt every time I was on track. At Sebring this year I finally got to try out the long underwear to keep my "man bits" safe. Very comfortable

Looking forward to the balaclava this year?

Will socks and gloves be far behind? What about race suits?
Thanks guys! Your opinions mean way more than mine.

Socks are in production right now. Tried a proto pair at Sebring and they are fantastic. Kept my feet dry all day, and it was a wet, humid day. Will be some time before suits and gloves though. I'm looking into some of the NASA (space not racing group) technology right now, but a long way off. I try and introduce a new or latest technology each time I develop a product. Otherwise, we're just in the sea of many. Still working on the cooling balaclava. Concept is great, but the ease of use isn't there yet. Waiting on the new protos for testing right now.

Oh and balaclava will go into production in the next two weeks. Just finalized everything.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 02-22-2016, 10:18 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Although the original poster asked 'who wears racing suits?' for DE, we've had a good discussion about their importance.
I think a racing suit (aka 'fire suit' which does focus the mind nicely) is important, but I hope newer drivers don't think 'oh, great, in addition to buying a helmet etc. I need to also buy a driving suit.'
I think the suit is important, but not necessary, in the lower run groups.
Having said that - everything that adds to your safety is worth consideration. And snarky looks from other drivers (because you wear a driving suit or use a HANS device) is not a reason to not use them.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:26 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I think a racing suit (aka 'fire suit' which does focus the mind nicely) is important, but I hope newer drivers don't think 'oh, great, in addition to buying a helmet etc. I need to also buy a driving suit.'
That's a good point and precisely why we have such relaxed rules at these events. Organizers are too worried about losing too many potential drivers to function or be profitable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who wears racing suit for DE events