Quick Release Systems: Quality vs Price

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:26 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Release Systems: Quality vs Price

Racers,

I wanted to post this question for a few weeks, and the thread about how a car is impossible to steer without a steering wheel prompted me to ask...

First of all, I currently have a Tekniq Snap-Off quick release system. Similar to this: http://www.ppsonline.net/snapoff.htm#pro (No jokes about "quick release snap off" and the sexual performance of a race driver... okay, just one) It works... probably not going to change it... unless good advice here tells me change it.

I see a very wide range of pricing, and mounting choices for QR steering systems. I can see how the bolt on systems work, and also the weld on, different courses for different horses I assume. But some systems are around $350, while others, that look exactly the same are $25 on e-bay.

I get the fact that the $25 Asian market system has poor tolerance and will probably result in a wobble and ultimately a crash...but is there something in between the two that works?!?

Finally, what should one really look for with a quick release system?? To be honest, I wish SFI or somebody would step in to make the choice easier...

No direct questions really, but looking forward to your comments and opinions. Also, assume we all understand that the Asian market systems are probably not a good idea on a race car...
Old 02-06-2016, 01:00 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche Motorsports , most expensive but none better
Old 02-06-2016, 07:25 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I've been a fan of the Rothsport unit for some time, and used it in my SP996. My latest SM came with an NRG QR. it is very convenient to use, inexpensive, can be removed with one hand, but the mechanism is more complicated than the Rothsport, which gives me some concern. All that said, the NRG is probably he most popular in the SM crowd I hang with, we have a LOT of cars racing (40+) for almost every race, and we have not had an issue of failures that I am aware of. I was thinking of switching to Rothsport from the NRG, but having seen Yonkers video, I'm no longer sure.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:20 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I use the NRG in my 968. I like it a lot. No aligning necessary. Plop it on, turn the wheel until it clicks in. Give it a quick tug to make sure it's on, and that's it. So far, so good.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:45 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the Rennline QR in my 964 and it seems like a very high quality piece. The Porsche Motorsports QR in the 996 is very "substantial" however...It feels very solid and heavy. Rennline is lightweight and is a copy of the 997 cup QR design...Both are great IMHO.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:22 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I use a SPA with weld on shaft slug on my Spec Miata, feels very solid. They are FiA & SFI approved.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

I have used a Snap off QR, a SmartRacing Products (SRP) QR and a QR from a PAG GT3 RSR, which was purchased as a used part. The latter is currently in my race car.

I think there have been several versions shipped by PAG with factory cars and by PMNA as parts. When I bought mine, the race team had quite a few sitting on a shelf. They clearly had been replaced as a matter of course, but I did not ask how/when/what criteria they used. I have been happy so far with my purchase, which was priced well below that of a new unit.

If I had to buy one today, I would choose the Rothsport unit. If I had concerns, I'd speak to Jeff Gamroth. He is an expert with a lot of experience and likely still has myriad ties to professional Porsche racing teams, PMNA and PAG. I would trust him fully to provide any/all relevant information about differences if any, between the Rothsport product and those shipped by PAG/PMNA. This would include any design, manufacturing, functional, and/or maintenance differences, and any other relevant information.

I am pretty sure that one reason the SRP unit was discontinued/not carried over to JWE is that the folks there felt that the Rothsport unit was better. And those folks also have close ties to PMNA/PAG.

Lots of choices.

I have never heard of any of these units actually failing in use... it would be great if folks that know of any QR failures came forward as all of our safety can potentially benefit from such perspective.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the TC Racing QR and hub. They advertise in Club Race News. Seems very substantial to me, nice fit and finish and it only goes on one way so it's hard to screw up.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:45 PM
zadar
Instructor

I have Sparco one, spline type. Seems solid.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

FWIW, I used a Snap-off qr for a while. I think the TC Racing unit is either the same device or very similar. I ha one incident where I mistakenly thought I had a fire and wanted to get out quickly. The issue with these are that it requires two hands, and you have to pay attention to the orientation of the system at the moment you are in the biggest hurry to get out. With units like the Rothsport, PMNA, Rennline, and NRG, you just pull the ring with one hand from any point on the ring and it is free. That to me is important and I woul not use a device that required two hands for removal.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:38 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

I had the Rothsport disconnect in our old Pawxsters for years and never had a problem.

I'm not sure which brand is in my Formula Mazda but it is very basic and works well.

ANY part by ANY manufacturer CAN fail. Except for Harbor Fright where you know whatever you buy will fail at some point.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:15 PM
PPo
Drifting

All good responses and helpful... Thank you.

Do a search on ebay for quick release steering wheels, and you see how cheap these can be... Anyhow, I will look at all your suggestions and see what happens.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:17 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I have never heard of any of these units actually failing in use... it would be great if folks that know of any QR failures came forward as all of our safety can potentially benefit from such perspective.
There is a very recent thread here titled something like "my crash at Sebring" where the drivers Rothsport QR released mid corner. Not saying it was a failure. You can judge for yourself in the video.

Best,
Patrick

Quick Reply: Quick Release Systems: Quality vs Price