Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My crash at VIR last September

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 12:01 PM
greenfrog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of your inputs. I have been reading all of them, multiple times. Every piece of analysis helps me in the effort to build a complete picture of the incident. A clear understanding of what went wrong and how to fix it will go a long way in helping me rebuild confidence.

Let me also provide a bit more information.

The car is Cayman R stock, Michelin PSS (34psi hot), Camber front -0.7 rear -1.5.

The significantly higher (+8mph) entry speed was a result of mental lapse. The speed in the comparison lap is what I have been going through that section during the past year. I distinctively remember just before going under the bridge my mind was thinking about the last lap when the car felt a bit unsettled over the crest at turn 8a (which is not the 1st time I experience it, more on that later). In the split second that I decided to put that worry away and go, I ended up staying in full throttle a tad longer, resulting in the significantly higher entry speed. I also cannot say whether I was aware of the extra speed, consciously or subconsciously, as I was turning right and up hill. Finding out that I was 8mph faster from data was definitely a surprise. This does lead me to an additional question, how would you set the entry speed precisely and consistently?

When I was looking for a comparison lap, I was hoping to find some difference that can answer what went wrong. Instead, it illustrated clearly that I have been doing this section wrong for a while. Other than speed, the degree & speed of steering input and the car placement & attitude does not look significantly different to me. I was getting away with it only because of the slower speed! Interestingly, when I joined iRacing just recently, driving the MX-5 through the climbing esses at full throttle requires much more precision in input and timing because one control parameter is taken away.

As I am at the stage of just beginning to have more solo time, I have found that it is relative easier to set a technical goal and practice for it, but much more difficult to be critical in identifying problems and bad habits that slowly develop and stop them early. Video and data can provide the evidence, criticism from this wonderful community is invaluable.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:44 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by greenfrog
Thanks for all of your inputs. I have been reading all of them, multiple times. Every piece of analysis helps me in the effort to build a complete picture of the incident. A clear understanding of what went wrong and how to fix it will go a long way in helping me rebuild confidence.

Let me also provide a bit more information.

The car is Cayman R stock, Michelin PSS (34psi hot), Camber front -0.7 rear -1.5.

The significantly higher (+8mph) entry speed was a result of mental lapse. The speed in the comparison lap is what I have been going through that section during the past year. I distinctively remember just before going under the bridge my mind was thinking about the last lap when the car felt a bit unsettled over the crest at turn 8a (which is not the 1st time I experience it, more on that later). In the split second that I decided to put that worry away and go, I ended up staying in full throttle a tad longer, resulting in the significantly higher entry speed. I also cannot say whether I was aware of the extra speed, consciously or subconsciously, as I was turning right and up hill. Finding out that I was 8mph faster from data was definitely a surprise. This does lead me to an additional question, how would you set the entry speed precisely and consistently?

When I was looking for a comparison lap, I was hoping to find some difference that can answer what went wrong. Instead, it illustrated clearly that I have been doing this section wrong for a while. Other than speed, the degree & speed of steering input and the car placement & attitude does not look significantly different to me. I was getting away with it only because of the slower speed! Interestingly, when I joined iRacing just recently, driving the MX-5 through the climbing esses at full throttle requires much more precision in input and timing because one control parameter is taken away.

As I am at the stage of just beginning to have more solo time, I have found that it is relative easier to set a technical goal and practice for it, but much more difficult to be critical in identifying problems and bad habits that slowly develop and stop them early. Video and data can provide the evidence, criticism from this wonderful community is invaluable.
Don't over think it.. going too fast through any turn shouldnt end up in a tail wagging crash.. (its not the approach, the speed, the position, the traffic near you or anything.. its not the cause, its the effect and reaction) through any of this, the car can always be pointed straight , even through what you experienced... and much more... the key is (someone said, "keeping ahead of the car" and thats kind of it too) anticipation and reaction. practicing the car getting out of shape on slower turns, will help with a natural reaction. that rear end is the clue to all steering inputs... it moves... the wheel has to move... almost instantly. it just comes with practice. no approach change can guarantee the elimination of that situation again.... because there is no guarantee that you migiht not be forced to be in that situation again due to traffic or other circumstances... however, one guarantee to never have the result, is to practice the response. we have all have this happen to us, some of the results are worse than others, but everyone learning has been through it. the key is not blowing past our limits, but to just bump over them on occasion.
great that you are reflecting and reviewing the event. im sure it wont catch you again like that!
Originally Posted by kk2
Nothing to really add here.. but if your car is on r comps it should be able to handle the amount of speed you were carrying. Any other mistakes is another conversation.
even 5mph faster, wouldnt be a problem.... worst case should always be a straight ahead off track jaunt, with a slow progression to get back on track
Old 02-08-2016, 01:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

dup
Old 02-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

I commend you for your posting .It takes a lot of guts on a forum

Work on your lines then the speed will follow naturally . Looks like you are worrying more about speed and less about perfect lines. Hitting apexes is not being close. Its actually hitting them.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:58 PM
ElusiveDaveH
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I am reminded of my fellow coach and instructor Ron Zitza's terrific "Go/No-Go" sight picture and geometry check.

If everything looks good, "Go" onto the next input and reference point. If not, "No-Go"...
Ron's shop is 15 minutes from me. He's quite the resource for us in Florida. Great guy and straight shooter. Someday I hope to get personal instruction from him at Sebring.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:48 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

I had a drive off in the esses in a similar situation. I was trying to gradually increase my speed but got a bit too fast. The only video I have is dashcam footage (originally upside down, thus the writing at the top).

A month after this I crashed in the rain just prior to entering the esses. There is a thread in the GT4 forum about it. The car hydroplaned and spun. I might have lifted, but not sure. The car entered the shop in early May and it is August now and I still do not have it back (waiting on a part from Germany).
Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I'll be driving VIR for the first time this month and need as much local knowledge as I can get.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I'll be driving VIR for the first time this month and need as much local knowledge as I can get.
http://peterkrause.net/Krause_%26_As...ull%202015.pdf
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:06 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

While not germane to where this is headed, it's still a critical skill to learn (car control) and I think the very best places to learn that are on a kart track and at autocross. Karts, lacking any type of suspension, teach you to feel the kart and instantly react to it. Much like karate you teach reaction (muscle memory) without having to think about it. AX for how your specific car reacts to inputs.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Agreed
Old 08-04-2017, 09:51 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Thats incredibly nice of you!

Does anything similar exist for WGI? Watched a ton if video, but always appreciate the actual notes from experienced/credible sources - great notes are like great movies, each time you watch (read after session), you see new details that make you appreciate them that much more.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tvr-4

Does anything similar exist for WGI? Watched a ton if video, but always appreciate the actual notes from experienced/credible sources - great notes are like great movies, each time you watch (read after session), you see new details that make you appreciate them that much more.
I purchased Peter and Ross' virtual track walk for WGI. I highly recommend.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by tvr-4

Not sure when you're going to the Glen. I'll be doing a detailed track walk there on Sept 18
Old 08-05-2017, 11:48 AM
tvr-4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I purchased Peter and Ross' virtual track walk for WGI. I highly recommend.
can you pm a link to where this is avail for purchase?

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Not sure when you're going to the Glen. I'll be doing a detailed track walk there on Sept 18
August 25-27th with Metro PCA - do you have any recommendation on good notes or reference videos?

Quick Reply: My crash at VIR last September