Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Find an Instructor Certification Class?

Old 01-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to Find an Instructor Certification Class?

Is there a central listerv or webpage where instructor certification courses are posted?

The other option (I guess) would be to search clubreg or motorsportreg or each region sites specifically but if there's a shortcut please share.

Thx in adv.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:43 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Get in touch with Pete Tremper via PCA Nat'l.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:44 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You have to be selected in PCA from your region as a candidate. NASA have a program as well after coming through their run levels. AUDI as well.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Contact Alex Bell, National PCA
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-28-2016, 06:00 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
Is there a central listerv or webpage where instructor certification courses are posted?

The other option (I guess) would be to search clubreg or motorsportreg or each region sites specifically but if there's a shortcut please share.

Thx in adv.
Generally speaking, in our region, you don't ask. PCA selects candidates and then they are invited to attend an Instructor Training School (ITS).

My advice to newbies through intermediates is don't ask. Once you get to the top non-instructor run group you can start by asking instructors that know you well along the lines of "I think I'm interested in becoming an instructor. What's involved? What do you think I need to work on first?"

Another path is to instruct for other organizations that run events in your area. Around here though, PCA is the top credential. Get that and you can instruct for nearly anybody around here.

Feel free to PM me.

-Mike
Old 01-28-2016, 06:27 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Good on you for wanting to do it, I couldn't get paid enough to sit shotgun in anything over 150hp on the track. Did it twice for people I know and scared me ****less
Old 01-28-2016, 07:21 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
You have to be selected in PCA from your region as a candidate.
This
Old 01-29-2016, 08:01 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Default Region Does ZERO DEs

Thanks for the info, y'all and for the kind words of wisdom/caution.

Since I went solo, the last three instructors who rode with me have suggested I plan for an instructor certification in fall 2016. If I complete my anticipated 2016 schedule (10-12 track events, another 70-100 track hours) it's something I'd be interested in pursuing.

As I was taught in my professional training: there are 3 steps in learning.
As a longtime university faculty I believe in completing the third step.

"See one. Do one. Teach one."

My region does not organize DE's and I don't plan to do more than a couple of PCA events this year. The group I run with most often (Chin) don't offer instructor certification.

Just trying to plan my schedule ... Better to have it on the books and cancel than the other way around.
Thx again!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Thanks Peter! Alex and I are "old pals" as they say...haha meaning I spun with him in my car.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:07 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 163 Posts

You have to be selected in PCA from your region as a candidate. NASA have a program as well after coming through their run levels. AUDI as well.
Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure I just signed up and and included a driving CV. That was eight years ago so I don't remember all the details but I had driven with a dozen regions and several other organizations by then so I didn't really have a region to select me.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:52 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Not true. Not every PCA region puts on DEs. So its not uncommon for a cooperative instructor training program across regions which includes recommendation and acceptance of others.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:32 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Right

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Thanks Peter. I just updated our 2016 calendar ar www.pca.org. https://www.pca.org/instructor-training-clinic-schedule

Our PCA regions schedule the training using their track dates. Also, the region CTI and DE Chair make the determination on eligibility. Thanks for the interest in our program. In 2015, 220 people throughout the US successfully completed our program. Since 2001 when Pete Tremper began the program, over 4,000 individuals have completed the training. It is just another of many things our instructor community can do to improve their skills. Of course, we promote our PCA philosophy as part of that training����

I would also suggest instructing before you take the training. Some regions allow this and some do not. PCA on the national level does not require this training in order to instruct. Other organizations have excellent training as well. NASA as a for profit organization provides much more opportunity in their instructor one and instructor two training
Old 01-30-2016, 01:17 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

I couldn't imagine CVR accepting a candidate that they were not totally familiar with from years of observing. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 490 Posts

I couldn't imagine CVR accepting a candidate that they were not totally familiar with from years of observing. Maybe I'm wrong.
The CVR minimum is 10 of their DE events in their Black run group.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:35 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

With rare exception do I ever accept a Non PCA National Instructor at other events I'm involved with. With additional references as well. I've been tricked before.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Find an Instructor Certification Class?