Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Article on Wearing Normal Clothes at Events

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:13 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

For arguments sake, if I wanted to use the momo cool shirt that isn't fire resistant, should I use your short sleeve underneath it?
Old 01-23-2016, 10:44 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Rogers' stuff isn't douchey, is super, super comfortable, works amazingly well, doesn't smell after a day of use, dries in a flash, BONUS: is fire retardant!!!!!
..........you get to the point once you've tried his stuff that you don't get into a car, to drive or instruct without it........won't leave pit lane without it.........his gear is simply amazing.......shameless pitch, sure, his stuff is worth it and I have no affiliation........it really is a no brainer!
Old 01-23-2016, 10:51 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Just dropped a quick $400.00
Old 01-23-2016, 11:10 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
For arguments sake, if I wanted to use the momo cool shirt that isn't fire resistant, should I use your short sleeve underneath it?
To be completely truthful, I would be afraid to wear it at all. It works well and it's a great design, but the plastic bladder is sandwiched between two pieces of polyester and lycra. It's a dangerous combo when heat gets to it. I've done some testing with it and the bladder more durable than the poly surrounding it. If they made the shirt with a good FR inner and outer layer instead of poly, you could have a safe shirt. But, I've heard through the grapevine that MOMO is getting out of this space altogether.

If you do wear FR underneath for sure it will give you a small barrier to the potential melting and dripping. To what degree of protection would be very difficult to quantify. Lots of variables affect how FR operates..is an accelerate (fuel) involved..direct heat..flame..intensity.

The three main things SFI Certified stuff gives you is:
More time to get out before burns occur (min of 3 seconds more)
No melting of the garment
No flammability (all SFI garments must self-extinguish within 2 seconds..our stuff does it in .2 seconds on avg)

Probably a way bigger answer than you wanted. I always think about it like this: I just spent north of a grand on a suit to protect me from fire. I don't want to offset that protection with $25 flammable or meltable tshirt.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 01-23-2016, 11:13 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Country911
Rogers' stuff isn't douchey, is super, super comfortable, works amazingly well, doesn't smell after a day of use, dries in a flash, BONUS: is fire retardant!!!!!
..........you get to the point once you've tried his stuff that you don't get into a car, to drive or instruct without it........won't leave pit lane without it.........his gear is simply amazing.......shameless pitch, sure, his stuff is worth it and I have no affiliation........it really is a no brainer!
Thank you! Very kind!!

Originally Posted by dgmark
Thank you! You guys are awesome!!
Old 01-23-2016, 11:29 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I did quite a bit of thinking about what I wear on race day and track days.

For race, it's Sparco driving suit plus Sparco SFI undies.

For track days/practice days I wear a Sparco SFI shirt and Kuhl cotton pants, cotton undies. Some times the suit. It's a balance between fire protection and heat exhaustion. I am going to look into the Traqgear stuff.

If there was a Traqgear option for SFI rated jeans I would love it. I would love to be 100% SFI rated anytime I am in the car.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Like many people that I see, I am guilty of wearing inappropriate under suit clothing. Bought some TraqGear stuff a month ago and plan on only wearing appropriate undergarments this season.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:43 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
To be completely truthful, I would be afraid to wear it at all. It works well and it's a great design, but the plastic bladder is sandwiched between two pieces of polyester and lycra. It's a dangerous combo when heat gets to it. I've done some testing with it and the bladder more durable than the poly surrounding it. If they made the shirt with a good FR inner and outer layer instead of poly, you could have a safe shirt. But, I've heard through the grapevine that MOMO is getting out of this space altogether.

If you do wear FR underneath for sure it will give you a small barrier to the potential melting and dripping. To what degree of protection would be very difficult to quantify. Lots of variables affect how FR operates..is an accelerate (fuel) involved..direct heat..flame..intensity.

The three main things SFI Certified stuff gives you is:
More time to get out before burns occur (min of 3 seconds more)
No melting of the garment
No flammability (all SFI garments must self-extinguish within 2 seconds..our stuff does it in .2 seconds on avg)

Probably a way bigger answer than you wanted. I always think about it like this: I just spent north of a grand on a suit to protect me from fire. I don't want to offset that protection with $25 flammable or meltable tshirt.
I tend to agree with you, hence the question. Where can I get the adapters to make your shirt work with the fast connectors?
Old 01-23-2016, 11:47 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kgorman
I did quite a bit of thinking about what I wear on race day and track days.

For race, it's Sparco driving suit plus Sparco SFI undies.

For track days/practice days I wear a Sparco SFI shirt and Kuhl cotton pants, cotton undies. Some times the suit. It's a balance between fire protection and heat exhaustion. I am going to look into the Traqgear stuff.

If there was a Traqgear option for SFI rated jeans I would love it. I would love to be 100% SFI rated anytime I am in the car.
Thank you! And yes the Sparco stuff isn't bad. In fact, when I do write articles I always try to encourage drivers to wear something safe, even if it isn't TG. So, I def applaud you for keeping safety on the forefront. If the unimaginable ever happens to you, you'll be prepared.

I never want to bad mouth other companies. There are some really good ones out there and I respect them in different ways..simply can't knock their success..they are there for a reason. If TG can experience that kind of success, it will be a huge blessing. I'm always just trying to make a better mousetrap. But, the big picture is getting guys/gals to think more about safety and I focus on battling the heat exhaustion in a safe way.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:51 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Coochas
Like many people that I see, I am guilty of wearing inappropriate under suit clothing. Bought some TraqGear stuff a month ago and plan on only wearing appropriate undergarments this season.
Awesome, thank you! Let me know how you like them please.

Originally Posted by kk2
I tend to agree with you, hence the question. Where can I get the adapters to make your shirt work with the fast connectors?
The great thing is that they mate right up without changing adaptors. You should be able to plug right into their system without changing anything. Let me know if you any issues with it.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
Rogers' stuff isn't douchey, is super, super comfortable, works amazingly well, doesn't smell after a day of use, dries in a flash, BONUS: is fire retardant!!!!! ..........you get to the point once you've tried his stuff that you don't get into a car, to drive or instruct without it........won't leave pit lane without it.........his gear is simply amazing.......shameless pitch, sure, his stuff is worth it and I have no affiliation........it really is a no brainer!
^^this. Also echo the getting lazy what I wear under my suit. Once you go traqgear you never go back
Old 01-23-2016, 01:35 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Are there any short sleeve sfi rated cool shirts in the pipeline?

I don't think I've seen any made.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:48 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
You won't regret it Mark. I started wearing Roger's gear a couple of seasons ago and I am now collecting more and more since it is so comfortable. I just bought Cheryl the coolshirt version (I already had one). Cannot wait for the balaclavas which I think come out in the next month or two.

BTW, probably should not wrench in this as grease will not help the FR rating
Old 01-23-2016, 02:14 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Arkadi
^^this. Also echo the getting lazy what I wear under my suit. Once you go traqgear you never go back
Ha I like the tag line! Thanks!

Originally Posted by kk2
Are there any short sleeve sfi rated cool shirts in the pipeline?

I don't think I've seen any made.
Not yet and still debating. A short sleeve shirt can't carry the SFI cert even though it's the same material. The current model actually has been certified 4 different ways..thread, body material, cooling mesh and material w tubing attached. It's pretty complex for a shirt and I don't know if I can make a short sleeve affordable compared to the SFI model. My costs wouldn't be much different. Being all US made makes the cost a bit higher.

Originally Posted by certz
You won't regret it Mark. I started wearing Roger's gear a couple of seasons ago and I am now collecting more and more since it is so comfortable. I just bought Cheryl the coolshirt version (I already had one). Cannot wait for the balaclavas which I think come out in the next month or two.

BTW, probably should not wrench in this as grease will not help the FR rating
Met w pattern maker again Wed for the hood. Hopefully the last revision. Working very hard to keep seams away from the face and forehead. Thank you for the props!!!
Old 01-23-2016, 02:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Awesome, thank you! Let me know how you like them please.
Well I tried them on and I must say they are quite comfortable. I will try not to test out the fire retardant nature. I only average one small fire a year.

Quick Reply: Article on Wearing Normal Clothes at Events