Sponsored by:

Farsighted Issues....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:28 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Farsighted Issues....

I have been planning on getting an AiM MXS or MoTec C125 data system installed in my race car. I am currently using an AiM Solo basically as a lap timer.

I am farsighted and use corrective lenses for reading, computer work, and other activities that require focusing on objects within 4 or 5 feet. I do not wear corrective lenses when I drive or race. My distance vision is better than 20/15.

I was at a friend's shop last night looking at a new NASA NP01 as I wanted to see how I fit in the car. This car has the AiM MXS display. There was a Spec 911 their with an AiM MXG display also.

When I sat in the NP01, the lap time text on the MXS display was too small for me to read without my glasses on. This concerned me because I can easily read the lap times on my Solo. So I went and sat in the Spec 911 and found the same problem with the lap time text. It was too small for me to read easily. The lap time text on the Solo is 5/8" tall while the text on the MXG is just about 1/2" tall.

The shop was reasonably well lit but it was night time. I suppose my eyes were more dilated than they are during the day when I am on the race track so that could contribute the lack of readability.

What are you farsighted drivers doing to make it so you can read your dashes and still keep your distance vision sharp and clear? I can't imagine wearing my blended bifocals while driving but is that my best option? Any Ophthalmologists or Optometrists on here have any input?
Old 01-20-2016, 01:55 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Lasik
Old 01-20-2016, 02:11 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have decent distance vision, with close up and astigmatism correction. I use a no line blended bi-focal. I have the the near distance correction part, custom placed a bit lower than normal on the lens. This prevents any interference outside the car, but allows me to read my dash and Traqmate.

I have both regular and sunglasses made this way. I'd think any good optical store could do this for you.

Edit-you can also have the bifocal section optimized for the distance from your eyes to the display(s) you're most concerned with

Last edited by BlueBarchetta; 01-20-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:57 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
I have decent distance vision, with close up and astigmatism correction. I use a no line blended bi-focal. I have the the near distance correction part, custom placed a bit lower than normal on the lens. This prevents any interference outside the car, but allows me to read my dash and Traqmate.

I have both regular and sunglasses made this way. I'd think any good optical store could do this for you.

Edit-you can also have the bifocal section optimized for the distance from your eyes to the display(s) you're most concerned with
Thanks!

What kind of frames are you using? Have you found any issues with them and your helmet?
Old 01-20-2016, 03:26 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Thanks!

What kind of frames are you using? Have you found any issues with them and your helmet?
Don't remember the regular frames. The sunglasses are a Ray Ban frame, but not what you'd typically think of as a Ray Ban. They're much more like a wrap, with frameless glass. I'll try to find the frame # when I'm home, and pm you

No helmet issues, but I took my helmet into the store to try on the frames, lol. I know, a little crazy, but if you're gonna do it right...
Old 01-20-2016, 03:42 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Been wearing glasses since age 7 (now soon-to-be 60) and am extremely NEARsighted (minus 9 prescription). Up to now have steadfastly resisted going to bi- or trifocals and have been able to manage. I go for the smallest frame I can find to fit with the helmet on (unintended bonus is that the smaller the lens, the thinner it can be made). It's worked so far.....have also opted for helmets with XL eyeports and will be getting a SA2015 Bell Sport EV soon.

Gary
Old 01-20-2016, 03:55 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

If you'd prefer to not mess with your eyes (via Lasik or using different lenses on track) one thing to consider would be to keep the Solo in the car as a lap timer. The AIM/MoTec system is going to be an invaluable data acq module, but with a mainly analog car like yours, provides relatively meek on track benefit (unless you're planning to go WAY over the deep end).

On track you'll probably look to the AIM/MoTec system for RPM and oil temp, both of which can be programmed for shift lights and warning lights respectively.....so readability becomes a non-issue
Old 01-20-2016, 05:11 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Don't know if it is possible, but can you move the display farther from you?

Moving things farther only works to a certain point, for example, my arms aren't long enough anymore for restaurant menus.

-Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 05:15 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

For reading I'm able to slide my specs down my nose just a bit (good to have a long Roman nose! ) My arm would have to be 10 feet long
Old 01-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott - Getting old? I'm old enough to not worry about vanity and use lined bifocals because they provide a much better/larger focal area. I use an extra large bifocal window too (34mm) which makes it easy to transition from distance (looking at Scott getting further and further ahead) to the dash (MoTeC ADL3). I love my IC Berlin glasses with the helmet because the frames are so flexible it is very easy to slide the glasses on and into the helmet. My bifocal also is not a 'reading' distance but an intermediate or 'computer' correction because the dash is a couple feet from my eyes.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a pair these frames with the bayonet arms.

http://shop.randolphusa.com/aviator-p5044.aspx

With the Bayonet arms they slide on with a helmet on no problem. You can order them with clear plastic "demo" lenses and have what ever prescription lens made. Kind of ugly and big but that makes things like bifocals work better.

Jim
Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tom W
Scott - Getting old? I'm old enough to not worry about vanity and use lined bifocals because they provide a much better/larger focal area. I use an extra large bifocal window too (34mm) which makes it easy to transition from distance (looking at Scott getting further and further ahead) to the dash (MoTeC ADL3). I love my IC Berlin glasses with the helmet because the frames are so flexible it is very easy to slide the glasses on and into the helmet. My bifocal also is not a 'reading' distance but an intermediate or 'computer' correction because the dash is a couple feet from my eyes.
Thanks, Tom. I've needed reading and computer glasses for years now. You car number and my age are one in the same. With the analog gauges of the 911 and big font used by the Solo, I haven't needed any vision correction in the car. If I get a dash, that looks to be changing.

What IC Berlin frames are you using?
Old 01-20-2016, 09:52 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by JGB
I just got a pair these frames with the bayonet arms.

http://shop.randolphusa.com/aviator-p5044.aspx

With the Bayonet arms they slide on with a helmet on no problem. You can order them with clear plastic "demo" lenses and have what ever prescription lens made. Kind of ugly and big but that makes things like bifocals work better.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. I will check them out as well. I wear Randolph shooting glasses so I am familiar with the brand.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:52 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Curious - do you guys use polarized lenses? Can you read the digital displays with them?
Old 01-20-2016, 11:16 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

I pretty much have the same vision characteristics as you. The optometrists was able to write me a weak prescription that allowed me to see the dash and didn't interfere with distance. I bought a set Oakleys that come with two sets of lenses. One tinted one not. They work very well.

Quick Reply: Farsighted Issues....