Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Time Attack - worlds largest splitter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 02:26 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Default NASA Time Attack - worlds largest splitter?

I cannot find video of this thing in action.

-
Old 12-11-2015, 02:32 PM
SM#80
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Had that in a wind tunnel, have you?
Old 12-11-2015, 03:14 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not neccessary for the speeds it runs. They saw it on a World Time Attack car and duplicated it.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

snow plow?
Old 12-11-2015, 04:12 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

T.A. cars are very much built for purpose. Not knowing this car in particular it's hard to comment and I'm sure the wide angle lens only exaggerates the appearance. Does look a little agricultural in some respects compared to some WTAC cars.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:28 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
snow plow?
Or deer catcher for Summit Point
Old 12-11-2015, 05:42 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Requires a whole different line through the corners? Geez.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:13 PM
Domkouki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats Tony Szirka. fast as hell.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Drewster67
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tony Szirka

Cats name is Tony Szirka - runs with a few clubs in AZ - Unfortunately - the car crashed a few weeks ago at Button Willow ... thats all she wrote was the last I heard on it.

Was pretty quick and that air splitter is crazy
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Tony Szirka's Evo is fast, but fragile and not exactly a cornering machine from what I have seen. He ran a 1:46.5 on the CW13 configuration of Buttonwillow last month which is 997 Cup fast so nothing to sneeze at. The car ran just last week testing for a NASA event so I don't think it has been crashed. I understand it has been somewhat of a budget build and is his shop car, Tony is also a super funny guy and I am sure is getting a kick out of people making fun of his splitter canard wing. Tony really understands that cars and racing are a hobby and has as much fun with it as he can. If you get a chance to do a Global Time Attack event, Tony is a big part of making them fun. They are far different then a POC or PCA weekend but you get a lot of clean track time and they make good test days. It's a group of guys who mainly tinker with their cars in their spare time and are just out there to go fast, test their, tentative at times, understanding of engineering principals, and have fun which a nice refresher from a lot of the Porsche focused events I have been at where everyone is so serious and if you don't have a GrandAm Cup or better with a toter home, you don't rate. It is much more about grassroots I built this in my garage, lets see if it works then any other event I have been to. Tony owns UMS Tuning in Gilbert AZ which is next door to Chris Caroll's TurboKraft. I believe both at one point worked for Bob Holcomb of MODE fame before Bob started making more gun parts then Porsche parts and they opened their own shops.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:57 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

1:46sh ish?? i think that Red Evo from japan was in the 1:41 range. that car was a beast!
Sofro ran that time in the WCGT cup car (1:46ish) if i remember correctly. that is hauling the mail in both cases!
Old 12-12-2015, 08:42 PM
AxisMark
5th Gear

Those time attack splitters, when done correctly can make a huge difference. Although a few friends that have built these splitters have told me; some cars do just as well, or very close without them. Depending on course conditions, etc. One thing I know is they are fun to look at! haha
Old 12-12-2015, 08:46 PM
AxisMark
5th Gear

I'm sure this has been posted before, but worth a post on this thread. Porsche 968 Time Attack car!!

Stolen from www.club944.net
Old 12-13-2015, 11:01 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by mark kibort
1:46sh ish?? i think that Red Evo from japan was in the 1:41 range. that car was a beast!
Sofro ran that time in the WCGT cup car (1:46ish) if i remember correctly. that is hauling the mail in both cases!
Track is much faster since James ran that time. I think they repaved the whole thing. He was 5 seconds slower than Cody Kishel, who has a monster of a Corvette, and can really wheel it, but still 5 seconds off the pace for unlimited. James in the same car would be 40-42 today.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Evan Fullerton
Tony Szirka's Evo is fast, but fragile and not exactly a cornering machine from what I have seen. He ran a 1:46.5 on the CW13 configuration of Buttonwillow last month which is 997 Cup fast so nothing to sneeze at. The car ran just last week testing for a NASA event so I don't think it has been crashed. I understand it has been somewhat of a budget build and is his shop car, Tony is also a super funny guy and I am sure is getting a kick out of people making fun of his splitter canard wing. Tony really understands that cars and racing are a hobby and has as much fun with it as he can. If you get a chance to do a Global Time Attack event, Tony is a big part of making them fun. They are far different then a POC or PCA weekend but you get a lot of clean track time and they make good test days. It's a group of guys who mainly tinker with their cars in their spare time and are just out there to go fast, test their, tentative at times, understanding of engineering principals, and have fun which a nice refresher from a lot of the Porsche focused events I have been at where everyone is so serious and if you don't have a GrandAm Cup or better with a toter home, you don't rate. It is much more about grassroots I built this in my garage, lets see if it works then any other event I have been to. Tony owns UMS Tuning in Gilbert AZ which is next door to Chris Caroll's TurboKraft. I believe both at one point worked for Bob Holcomb of MODE fame before Bob started making more gun parts then Porsche parts and they opened their own shops.

GTA_SLB 2015 fast lap - YouTube
An NASA ST2 Corvette runs a 1:47 regularly in races without looking dumb. (Well, not as dumb as a Corvette can look :P)

Quick Reply: NASA Time Attack - worlds largest splitter?