Sponsored by:

Deadly crash at Buttonwillow today

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 10:56 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dnitake
Making me think twice now about my DE car. No cage, but full harnesses. No halo seat. Makes me wonder what the best compromise for a street legal DE car is now if you try to cover the side impact scenario. Don't see how you can.
RIP and my condolences go out to Ivo's family at this terrible time.

Dnitake, it may or may not help much with your own reflections, but in the wake of an on-track tragedy here some years ago I tried to do the best I could to improve my odds of survival if things went wrong on track in my 500HP uncaged street 996T with factory 3 point belts. Things are a bit easier in the States I believe, but here we can't even swap out the Turbo's factory seats without having to get the car specially certified for road use so a halo seat or even just a harness were out. I ended up getting a Simpson Hybrid that at least braces a bit off the torso to reduce shock loadings in side impacts. Not an official use case scenario but I needed a head restraint anyway for my harnessed race cars so figured it was still a little better than nothing in the Turbo too. I also put the seat right back, lock the belt by pulling it, and motor the seat forward until it is 'too tight' in the (possibly false) hope that the side and shoulder bolsters might keep me secured a bit longer in the event of a roll or sideways impact.
Needless to say, there is considerable residual risk so she gets the best of brake pads and fluids and I am extremely alert and focussed when tracking it or running it in the club Dual Sprint comps. It has factory side airbags but they're only any use for the first shunt in a multiple impact/rollover scenario.
On the active safety front, I also do gymkhanas (like tight autocrosses) to practice handling and recovering the car.

The Simpson R3 is actually better suited than their Hybrid with a 3-point as it braces more effectively thanks to its T shape but it does push you forward in the seat so your body has less lateral support overall. I'd also likely hate using it in my race cars' buckets. I have no affiliation with Simpson and do realise that it's probably only a small improvement, in the absence of a cage and harness.

I am in awe of instructors who can jump into cars of unknown condition, driven by strangers of varying skill sets and development levels and help them learn to drive faster and safer. On track, I've only sat in the passenger seat four times in my life, and have already experienced a front wheel shearing right off through the middle of the spokes at race pace.

Racing is a wonderful pursuit, but tragic accidents such as these give cause again to truly appreciate those who give of themselves to help others get up to speed.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:26 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
...I am in awe of instructors who can jump into cars of unknown condition, driven by strangers of varying skill sets and development levels and help them learn to drive faster and safer. On track, I've only sat in the passenger seat four times in my life, and have already experienced a front wheel shearing right off through the middle of the spokes at race pace.

Racing is a wonderful pursuit, but tragic accidents such as these give cause again to truly appreciate those who give of themselves to help others get up to speed.
Once an instructor came with his own torque wrench to check my lugs bolts before he got in the car.

He did that since a wheel came off when he was instructing a prior student.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

RIP-bad safety equipment may have been contributing factor and no neck restraint it is said. What a shame.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:37 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 996TWINS
IIRC. XS in the past did not have EMT's present, only the basic track safety crew. Has that changed?
When we (POC ) rent the track ALS service is mandatory and a part of their contract @ $185. per hour. That's 2 EMT in the ambulance. We're racing so it's possible they don't require them for a DE type track day....
Old 12-09-2015, 05:00 PM
salisbury
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very sorry for the families of the instructor and student. Having worked events with catastrophic incidents I can tell you many drivers and workers will be changed.

Having been in HPDE since the early 80s.... it has changed a bit. Form advanced autocross (that is how we sold them to allow street cars on the track) to what many call "racing without rules". There is a group of instructor who wonder if we need to tighten it up a bit.
Both families here have a lot to deal with.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone tell me if the Buttonwillow flag stations are protected with a "catch wall " prior to the flag stations primary protection ?Any thing to slow the car before the car is stopped to protect the Flagger ?
Old 12-10-2015, 01:19 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Horizontally Opposed Man
Can anyone tell me if the Buttonwillow flag stations are protected with a "catch wall " prior to the flag stations primary protection ?Any thing to slow the car before the car is stopped to protect the Flagger ?
There was a picture on another forum of the car and the flag station and it appeared that there were stacks of tires lashed together that was surrounded with a conveyor belt or canvas.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
When we (POC ) rent the track ALS service is mandatory and a part of their contract @ $185. per hour. That's 2 EMT in the ambulance. We're racing so it's possible they don't require them for a DE type track day....
foe DE, ALS is not rquired by Button willow race way. but the two days i put up there, i paid for it. $185/hour for 8 hours, i think that's something BW should make mandatory
Old 12-10-2015, 03:15 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
There was a picture on another forum of the car and the flag station and it appeared that there were stacks of tires lashed together that was surrounded with a conveyor belt or canvas.
Correct
Old 12-10-2015, 11:43 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 996TWINS
IIRC. XS in the past did not have EMT's present, only the basic track safety crew. Has that changed?

The Sparco Ergo with removable halo will be my next purchase. I have the HANS.
Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I can tell you that Fairplex, the old Pomona Raceway, required Paramedics for every event where wheels turned. TT, AX, or DE.

I am willing to bet they were there. It wonder if there was a tech inspection or pre race meeting of the level of POC or PCA.

Not throwing stones but any death on the track needs to looked at so we can learn and make driving events safer.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:12 AM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
I can tell you that Fairplex, the old Pomona Raceway, required Paramedics for every event where wheels turned. TT, AX, or DE.
I did not like the power poles so close to the layout of the track.

Quick Reply: Deadly crash at Buttonwillow today