Sponsored by:

Deadly crash at Buttonwillow today

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 06:30 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GWF911
Very tragic but agree with earlier point this is the place to learn from it. When I used to mountain climb all the accidents were published annually. I have never been on this track but I am sure I will land there soon so thank you all that have for educating the rest of us.
Same as when I used to do deep mixed gas cave diving. There was an accident analysis done afterward, and the fatalities were published annually. We always wanted to make the sport safer but it was inherently very dangerous.

RIP to the instructor.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:03 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

From looking at pictures, reading of the accident from those who were there, and others posts my personal opinion is a neck injury from the momentum of his head continuing to move to the right after the car hit the passenger side.

Passenger benefited from side airbag in this situation whereas the driver unfortunately did not.

My understanding is that there was no HANS and no HALO seat, both of which help resist movement of the head relative to the spine.

Whether or not the incremental safety equipment would have helped is pure speculation, but certainly wouldn't have hurt

Such a sad loss, this sport is dangerous always smart to employ as much safety equipment as is feasible
Old 12-07-2015, 07:16 PM
pukka
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
My understanding is that there was no HANS and no HALO seat, both of which help resist movement of the head relative to the spine.

Whether or not the incremental safety equipment would have helped is pure speculation, but certainly wouldn't have hurt
One thing is certain - the incremental additional expense is trivial compared to the downsides of not having the extra equipment if it could have helped.

RIP to the dead and fingers crossed for the injured.

Brian (has previously used a HANS into the wall at Sunrise as a passenger)
Old 12-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by pukka
Brian (has previously used a HANS into the wall at Sunrise as a passenger)
Sunrise? Can you describe the events that happened there? Most issues I see (running CW) there are over-cooking the entry and driving off straight, or trying to take the corner, tracking wide and spinning into the dirt.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:14 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/brea...eway-park.html
Old 12-08-2015, 01:51 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/l....html?mobile=y
Old 12-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For those that want to help his family: https://www.gofundme.com/renner
Old 12-08-2015, 01:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Damn... These threads really depress me.

Here is another with more info and a discussion about side impact protection that is worthwhile: http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthr...t-Buttonwillow
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,791 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Very unfortunate and sad. Before speculating about contributing factors and drawing conclusions about what, if anything, should be changed going forward, I suggest that we first pin down the facts. There are some contradictory statements in what I've been reading so far, as is usually the case after such incidents.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:17 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

From looking at pictures, reading of the accident from those who were there, and others posts my personal opinion is a neck injury from the momentum of his head continuing to move to the right after the car hit the passenger side.

Passenger benefited from side airbag in this situation whereas the driver unfortunately did not.

Such a sad loss, this sport is dangerous always smart to employ as much safety equipment as is feasible

This was my understanding as well. No HANS and no containment seat is very sad to see. Unfortunately, it is still pretty common for track days.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Agreed.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:36 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IIRC. XS in the past did not have EMT's present, only the basic track safety crew. Has that changed?

Originally Posted by eric523
This was my understanding as well. No HANS and no containment seat is very sad to see. Unfortunately, it is still pretty common for track days.
The Sparco Ergo with removable halo will be my next purchase. I have the HANS.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:29 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Buttonwillow

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Damn... These threads really depress me.

Here is another with more info and a discussion about side impact protection that is worthwhile: http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthr...t-Buttonwillow

Peter,

We were just discussing safety issues etc.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ay-area-3.html

Very sad.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:54 PM
Domkouki
Advanced

I was there. Its extremely unfortunate, I am adding full containment seats to my existing precautions (HANS, 6 point, cage). it is underdetermined if he indeed touched the right side dirt after the esses or a mechanical failure. doesn't matter. All we can do is take our own precautions and remember that nobody is 'safe'.

Here is a quick article with a little background on Ivo

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...ru-impreza-rs/

RIP Ivo and deepest condolences to his family/friends.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:48 PM
dnitake
Racer

Very sad and sobering to hear.
I'm a bit perplexed though. I was just there the other weekend.
It is a LONG way from the esses to the flag station to hit at such great speed. I certainly can't 2nd guess what happened, but to get 2 off at track out and hit the flag station at 80+ seems something else was going on. Anybody know? I heard there may have been an attempted pass involved when the 2 off occurred.
Which reminds me of an odd thing when setting up for Sunset and moving to the right, I almost got 2 off because I couldn't delineate where track ended and dirt begins, I suppose w/ my peripheral vision. I made a mental note to myself about this to be more vigilant. Winter flat lighting may have been an issue to.
Lot of good talk about safety gear. Making me think twice now about my DE car. No cage, but full harnesses. No halo seat. Makes me wonder what the best compromise for a street legal DE car is now if you try to cover the side impact scenario. Don't see how you can. So the next best thing would be to make track obstacles as "soft" as possible despite being a low probability. Who would've thunk you could hit THAT flag station so hard sideways. But how much could it cost really? Bet BW will soften things up as a result of this pronto.

Quick Reply: Deadly crash at Buttonwillow today