Sponsored by:

New to tracking in the SF Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 03:42 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114609048
"But also, physics does not know the difference (or care) between cheap, throwaway cars and a 918 Spyder (for instance)."

Hi Peter,

I'm no physics genius, but I think that losing control at close to 300 kph in a Porsche, versus 120 kph in a small sedan, then hitting a concrete wall, will make a difference in the outcome. The little sedan might not protect as well as the nicely engineered Porsche, but I have personally crashed both Porsches and small sedans and while this might just be anecdotal and not scientific...I want to be in the little sedan any day!

ps...I did not crash the Porsche in the photo...let's just say, I was very nearby when it happened!
The delta V for basal skull fractures is 42 mph, this is pretty easy to attain in any vehicle, irregardless of PORSCHE or little sedan.

It's actually not the speed that kills but yet it's the rate, or quickness,of deceleration.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

+1,000,000
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I would also take a look at the Golden Gate Audi Club. Anyone can join, don't need to own an Audi. They have some good, safe track days. Also a great bunch of people. I drove from Scottsdale to Sonoma for their last event there.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:33 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I would also take a look at the Golden Gate Audi Club. Anyone can join, don't need to own an Audi. They have some good, safe track days. Also a great bunch of people. I drove from Scottsdale to Sonoma for their last event there.
Ha, funny coincidence: I was just about to ask how the GG Audi Club is. I'm almost as new to this as the OP but mostly by luck, I've done a few of the things Mike suggested in the second post: a few PCA GGR track days and a couple of autocross events down at Alameda. All have been great with a very friendly group of people.

My brother's coming into town in early January, so I just signed him and me up for the Audi Club's Thunderhill weekend. It sounds like the weekend with them will be similar to PCA GGR's days; anything different that's worth knowing?

Thanks.

P.S. Fabe, I also recently got a GT4. Let me know if you decide to go to the Audi Club's event too; it'd be good to meet.

Quick Reply: New to tracking in the SF Bay Area