Sponsored by:

Roux Helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:05 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Does anyone know what the connector piece and size is for the cooling connections?

I was going to make some adapters from cool shirt to helmet.

I think these will work --

Pegasus Racing

CS461 Cool Shirt 1/4 inch Connector, Standard, Female (each) $8.00

To delete, change qty to 0 & update.
$16.00 In Stock

CS468 Cool Shirt 5/16 inch Connector, Standard, Female (each) $8.00

To delete, change qty to 0 & update.
$16.00 In Stock

thanks,

Mike

Go nuts - you want a 1/8 size (5/16 OD).

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/223/=17cetw8
Old 07-24-2017, 11:51 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 139 Posts

Anyone have more feedback on the Roux? One of my friends is trying to talk me into one. I have a Bell that's getting worn and need one with bulletproof mic/speakers for endurance racing. A drink tube would be nice but not required. The Roux certainly seems to be the budget route vs getting a Stilo with upgraded NC Mic.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:54 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Used mine in a pretty loud car using the inhelmet speakers. Perfect. But try one on, because it has to fit well.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:58 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Roux Composite

Just used mine for the first time @ Monticello Club Race and it is fantastic.
Lightweight, sound quality was great, water-cooling in helmet is sensible but not freezing cold.
I went a size up from my Bell Vortex and fit was excellent.

Last edited by smsarchitects; 07-24-2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-24-2017, 12:03 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
Anyone have more feedback on the Roux? One of my friends is trying to talk me into one. I have a Bell that's getting worn and need one with bulletproof mic/speakers for endurance racing. A drink tube would be nice but not required. The Roux certainly seems to be the budget route vs getting a Stilo with upgraded NC Mic.
Brian,

You are welcome to try a Roux helmet from us - if it does not fit or you need to exchange for a larger/smaller size or a different brand, we will work with you as long as the helmet is in new/unused condition. They do run a little smaller than Bell so I would suggest going up one size. Any ??, feel free to call.

Linda

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 07-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
Brian,

You are welcome to try a Roux helmet from us - if it does not fit or you need to exchange for a larger/smaller size or a different brand, we will work with you as long as the helmet is in new/unused condition. They do run a little smaller than Bell so I would suggest going up one size. Any ??, feel free to call.

Linda
Thanks Linda. I'll call you this week.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:50 AM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Use mine for solo events and instructing.
Use the Chatterbox Tandem Pro 2 with the helmet and a connecting cable..works great no problems.
Add on pieces for included head cooling system seem a bit pricey.
Many adjustment pieces for ears to ensure tight fit.
Happy with mine.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:22 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Bought mine from Linda and love it . Very comfortable and feels lighter then my old helmet.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:36 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Bought mine from Linda and love it . Very comfortable and feels lighter then my old helmet.
As did I, one of the early batches, used it at a track event over the weekend again and still very pleased with the purchase and of course the customer service when they were fitting the helmet & new helmet bag for me at Daytona..
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2017, 06:42 PM
Smokey the Talon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used my fiberglass version for a couple events instructing with the new track-com. Very happy with the fit/finish of the headset and quality of audio. Minor nitpicks on the helmet design like the rear seems to not come down as far on the back of my head as others. Perhaps to help clear H&N devices. Just felt weird the first few times wearing. Also the lower edge of the eye port seems higher which causes me to have to tilt my head down slightly to look at some of my gauges. Overall still happy with the purchase.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:22 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I need to call Linda and let her know this.....but done you asked.....
the glue is kinda crappy.

TMy speaker muffs on one side AND the helmet liner on the L inside pull area fell apart after the first weekend

Lucky for someone that I have more money than time, so I've not kicked up a fuss.

But it does make me rethink buying g one in the future.

Having said that I never bought a 2 piece from there
Old 07-28-2017, 12:17 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

I'm torn on the Roux. I had waited as long as I dared to upgrade to an SA2015 in anticipation of the Roux being released. I was very excited to order one and get one of the first delivered units. It was packed well and had a nice unpacking experience - much like an apple product, maybe better. Ultimately I went with a Stilo for the following reasons.

- The roux was very, very heavy. 4lbs 2oz for my large Carbon. For comparison, my current helmet (small shell large carbon EU style GT) is 2.6 lbs (I use ear plugs rather than the muffs, so saves a few ozs, and the EU GTs come with a sun shield instead of a visor). After wearing and handling a roux, a stilo feels lithe, even fragile.

- The roux smelled strong of glue and other chemicals

- The quality of the materials and build was not confidence inspiring compared to my 7 year old simpson. Didn't help that a few minutes of searching on alibaba found me virtually the same helmet minus cooling and eject.

- Electronics worked, but were weak sounding compared to what comes with the stilo.

- To use the cooling system I was so excited about requires a $200 add-on, or you can make your own plug. When I received it in dec, instead of sending me the right plugs that I asked for, I was told to wait for the Roux cooling plug that was being launched in the spring. Then it was launched late with a crazy price and no discount for existing owners. If I was just given the plugs at the start I would have ended up in a better place mentally.

- I was recommended the wrong size, and then could not return it (mail order) without spending another $50 on shipping. Roux do not run small. My large did not fit my medium simpson (58) head. i think there is some confusion here caused by how Stilos fit out of the box. Stilos feel initially very tight, and a lot of people, including my 12 month younger self, assume they run small and fit terribly. I remember my initial feeling when I tried on a new Stilo for the first time, "not gonna work, it's already hurting my head". They break in after a few uses.

In a slight fit of anger and anxiety over all of this, I sold my Roux unused and moved on to another vendor and a Stilo. Glad I ended up here because it's turning out to be very comfortable.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Thanks to you guys who replied with some honest, albeit negative feedback. I've been a Bell customer for 3 helmets now and have always enjoyed their product. They just fit and I have had zero problems, their helmets are just something you don't think about, like a helmet should be.

I've been watching these newcomers, Black Armor and Roux, because as simple as helmets seem there is a lot to them. Given i'm in the market for a 2015 i might just open my eyes more and look at Bell again or just grab a Stilo.

I need bulletproof comms and a comfortable helmet. The rest of these features like cooling and a drink tube are gravy and frankly can be easily solved in the aftermarket. I already have a cooling balaclava thing but it's pretty meh. Cooled air to me is much nicer than cool water running through.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:19 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
I need to call Linda and let her know this.....but done you asked.....
the glue is kinda crappy.

TMy speaker muffs on one side AND the helmet liner on the L inside pull area fell apart after the first weekend

Lucky for someone that I have more money than time, so I've not kicked up a fuss.

But it does make me rethink buying g one in the future.

Having said that I never bought a 2 piece from there

Send us some pictures and we should be able to get it fixed/replaced under warranty. First I've heard of this.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:56 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 133 Posts

Roux is A+ in my book. Keep my brains in tact after a 97mph wall impact at VIR. Thank God for this helmet and halo seat!

Good bang for the buck, would buy another.

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook

Quick Reply: Roux Helmets?