Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Mark the statements below with which you agree:
I will generally race in an enduro.
70.25%
I will generally NOT race in an enduro.
7.44%
If there is an enduro, it should be 60 minutes so I do not have to refuel.
14.05%
If there is an enduro, it should be 90 minutes and permit refueling.
56.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

PCA Club Races: Enduro or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default PCA Club Races: Enduro or Not?

What do you think of enduros?
Old 10-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

They are the best part!
Old 10-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
They are the best part!
Agreed
Old 10-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

On the west coast I think the PCA needs to reconfigure how they do enduros.

I've done the one at the Festival of Speed (Autoclub Speedway) a couple of times and have skipped it a couple of times. The problem is the entry fee is $150 more per driver just for the 55 minute enduro. If you are on a budget it doesn't pencil out to spend the extra money, especially if you want to split driving duties for fun, just not worth it at $150 a head. This probably contributes to the traditionally low turn out of racers in the enduro. When there isn't a big field and it's a 2.8 mile track it basically turns into a DE session after the first couple of laps.

At the upcoming race at Buttonwillow the enduro entry fee is only $50, but the race is from 3-4pm on Sunday. The track is probably 3-5 hours away from where most of the racers live. I have a feeling there is going to be a very light turn-out, especially if it's hot (and it's almost always hot at Buttonwillow). Most people with family/work/etc are probably going to skip it in favor of making it home several hours sooner.

I love the idea of enduros at every event and I love racing in mixed traffic, but so far it seems like the execution is missing something and it just feels like another practice session after the cars get spread out.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:01 PM
CAM14
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are the best part!
+1

The problem I see with the way PCA does enduros is that 60 and 90 minutes are thought of as an enduro. In my mind, that is just a slightly long sprint race, most SCCA sprint races are 45 minutes. What would be interesting is if PCA did real enduros with 3, 6 or more hours long that required more strategy.

If there was not a desire for longer enduros, then the cheap car enduro series would not be so popular.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by CAM14
What would be interesting is if PCA did real enduros with 3, 6 or more hours long that required more strategy.
And 45min sprint races.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:06 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love endures. Just not the 60 minute PCA variety. My car's fuel cell only lasts ~50 minutes so I can't run a 60 minute enduro. In the 90 minute ones I can run until I get the low fuel warning, fuel and then finish the race (with about 1-2 gallons left).

A 3 or 4 hour enduro (NASA) is much, much better.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

They are the best part!
+1 Agreed!

Originally Posted by CAM14
+1 The problem I see with the way PCA does enduros is that 60 and 90 minutes are thought of as an enduro. In my mind, that is just a slightly long sprint race, most SCCA sprint races are 45 minutes. What would be interesting is if PCA did real enduros with 3, 6 or more hours long that required more strategy. If there was not a desire for longer enduros, then the cheap car enduro series would not be so popular.
+1000.

Longer enduros would be great, but the PCA fueling rules would need to be amended. to something more reasonable. The "no drop" policy results in too many disqualifications.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:26 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny how everyone always says they love enduros, they want much longer enduros, enduros are their favorite, etc. And then when the time comes to actually get in the car and race a 90 min PCA enduro, they put the car in the trailer and go home instead.

Enduro participation is already thin at many races. I don't see how having a 3 hour enduro is going to improve that.

Wasn't there a 3 hour PCA enduro at Daytona a few years ago? How many people signed up for that?
Old 10-24-2015, 10:35 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I would like to do longer enduros (have done a 24hr). But I'm always by myself race weekends. I can get by in the 90min enduro without refueling.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

The problem with 2 hour plus enduros is that most people think they need a co-driver - and don't have one (for whatever reason).
Old 10-24-2015, 10:51 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

How about a 2 hr enduro that you can split with someone else and each driver races his own car?
(First racer pits in at 60 min. mark and second driver can then pit out to race his own car like a relay race?)
Obviously they both have to race in the same class.........
Just thinking out of the box......
Old 10-24-2015, 11:40 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
How about a 2 hr enduro that you can split with someone else and each driver races his own car?
(First racer pits in at 60 min. mark and second driver can then pit out to race his own car like a relay race?)
I like this idea. I have often considered sharing my car for an enduro, but the seat is fixed, and I'm 6'8" so there's not many that can drive my car, and not many other cars I can fit in in full race gear.
Probably won't interest too many others though, many of whom want someone faster to share their car to lay down some data to work towards.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I think the PCA enduro protocols do not accommodate that at all.

I was surprised to learn last year that one of the major principles of PCA racing is that from one race to another the schedule is almost exactly the same. Consistency from event to event is a big deal so racers know what to expect. That even includes keeping the number of practice sessions the same from event to event.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Like this idea, as long as you keep the option of using one car for those that want to.

Quick Reply: PCA Club Races: Enduro or Not?